Jump to content

Next-Gen Headsets


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

So after a fairly lengthy wait, these arrived today (Audeze Penrose X) and they really are very nice indeed. My only other frame of reference was my trusty old Astro A40's with the wireless mixamp which I had always thought sounded great. I know some complained about them being a little bass heavy, but I was never bothered. Until now!

 

 These Audeze's have got a clarity to them that I never really knew was missing until now. Everything sounds so much cleaner. And the build quality is great. There's a certain....I want to say weight, but that's not quite right. The materials just feel less plasticky than the Astro's. Not to knock the Astro's really as they have served me very well, and I have never had any complaints. But these just feel more refined. Very happy so far. Not had a chance to try the mic yet. Oh and I was a little disappointed that although they are Xbox specific, they use a dongle. I somehow had it in my head that they would connect wirelessly just like the controllers. But hey ho...no big deal really. 

 

IMG_20201230_125601.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

@SteveH Very interested to hear what you think of the mic and general connection stability as I’ve heard some not so good things but I’m tempted to give them a try!

 

Did you get the pre order price?

 Yeah got the pre-order price which was a nice bonus. I'll be giving them a proper try tomorrow and will test out the mic as well. I'd also heard some bad things about the mic, but then saw a couple of posts on reddit where they said it had improved with a firmware update. I'll report back once I've given them a good few hours use.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

@SteveH Very interested to hear what you think of the mic and general connection stability as I’ve heard some not so good things but I’m tempted to give them a try!

 

Did you get the pre order price?

Just a quick follow up. Not had a chance to try the mic yet, but played for 3 hours straight just now without a hiccup where the connection is concerned. For some context, I have my series X stood vertical behind my TV, and the PS5 is between that and the back of the TV. So it's well hidden back there. I was worried that might affect it, but fingers crossed, so far so good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveH said:

Just a quick follow up. Not had a chance to try the mic yet, but played for 3 hours straight just now without a hiccup where the connection is concerned. For some context, I have my series X stood vertical behind my TV, and the PS5 is between that and the back of the TV. So it's well hidden back there. I was worried that might affect it, but fingers crossed, so far so good. 


Cheers for that, I have my series x behind the telly with a router, switch and a hue hub so loads of potential for wireless issues but the 7x have been perfect with no connection issues at all - I wouldn’t want to spend double the money and have issues so will look forward to your testing results!

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don’t get with the 7x is they are designed for the Xbox but it’s a usb c dongle and the x doesn’t have a usb c port, so you have to use the super long cable/adaptor. 
 

the choice is good for me as I can use it on the switch and ps5. But seems strange. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:


Cheers for that, I have my series x behind the telly with a router, switch and a hue hub so loads of potential for wireless issues but the 7x have been perfect with no connection issues at all - I wouldn’t want to spend double the money and have issues so will look forward to your testing results!

 Quick little side note. I've just been reading on Reddit, that if you switch the dongle to PC then they work fine on the PS5. Not tested it myself yet and curious if they work "properly" with the 3D audio, but that is a nice bonus if they do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to change game/chat balance on PS4? I’ve used the Sony wireless headset for years which has a rocker for that function, but the rocker on the Arctis 7X doesn’t do anything on PS. I can’t find a game/chat balance thing anywhere - surely it must exist? Or do you just have to adjust the master volume of the game itself?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered my Steel Series on 6th December from their website. Shipped from Denmark and days went by without delivery. Contacted UPS on Twitter who admit they’ve lost it Raised with Steel Series on the 18th and still not heard a thing from them. Can’t say I’m too impressed with either firm’s customer service.

 

It think I’ve lost faith with anything ordered online unless it’s Amazon, after a couple of other unlucky incidents last couple of months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShimmyhillI've sent you a quick message on Xbox Live using the mic on my Penrose X headset. You wanted to know what the quality was like so figured that was an easy way. Thought something was broken at first as I could hear myself with the mic monitoring, but couldn't hear anything recorded. Silly me hadn't remembered to set the mic volume. Still could do with fine tuning it a little. 

 Although I mentioned I previously used Astro's, I never used the mic with them so have no idea how this headset compares. It sounded ok to my ears, certainly much better than the old pack-in cheapo headset that came with the 360....which you would hope :) And it is with the latest firmware update. I could probably do with getting the mic in a better position to my mouth as well. Not to mention feeling self conscious sending a message like that :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2020 at 14:12, Bushtopher said:

Thanks @Jonnycash, I’ve taken the plunge. First time I’ve bought some decent headphones for gaming, so looking forward to checking them out. 

Did you end up getting these, and if you did what do you think? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jonnycash said:

Did you end up getting these, and if you did what do you think? 

 

I did get them, and kept meaning to say thanks for the recommendation - think they're great, and getting a lot of use.

 

Initially I was a bit concerned as I was getting some weird crackling/interference, usually when I paused in Gears 5.  Doesn't seem to be happening much now, but the fact that I couldn't update the firmware (seems to be only possible via a Windows PC, which I don't have) concerned me to the extent that I started a returns process.  The fact that after a few more days of use it rarely happened made me change my mind and stick with them (and thinking about it now, I can't recall it happening at all recently)

 

The sound is great, particularly with the Dolby app on the xbox.  Comfort is spot on, and the fact that you don't need any kind of USB dongle is also great (particularly since I regularly swap between my Series S and my Series X, and repairing is as easy as repairing a controller).

 

So all in all, very happy with them!

 

How are you getting on with yours?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, for anyone with the Arctis 7x and the DTS app - which profile are you using for it?

 

Are the 7x similar to any other Steel series headphones?

 

I only ask because unfortunately there isn't a 7x profile in the app but there's profiles for 7, 9 etc.

 

Any tips?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve decided to get myself a pair of Steelseries Arctis 9 headphones. I will be getting a PS5 when they back in stock, have a PS4 and need a headset that will be good for work calls and also be able to connect to my MacBook via Bluetooth. Seems like the Arctis 9 fits the bill nicely and I’ve read some good things about them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

 

I did get them, and kept meaning to say thanks for the recommendation - think they're great, and getting a lot of use.

 

Initially I was a bit concerned as I was getting some weird crackling/interference, usually when I paused in Gears 5.  Doesn't seem to be happening much now, but the fact that I couldn't update the firmware (seems to be only possible via a Windows PC, which I don't have) concerned me to the extent that I started a returns process.  The fact that after a few more days of use it rarely happened made me change my mind and stick with them (and thinking about it now, I can't recall it happening at all recently)

 

The sound is great, particularly with the Dolby app on the xbox.  Comfort is spot on, and the fact that you don't need any kind of USB dongle is also great (particularly since I regularly swap between my Series S and my Series X, and repairing is as easy as repairing a controller).

 

So all in all, very happy with them!

 

How are you getting on with yours?  

I haven't used them much of late but my headset also had the crackle thing going on but not now.  Have you installed the app on the xbox that lets you customize the sound out of them? You can turn mic monitoring on too using the app. Glad you like them they sound amazing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 14:05, SteveH said:

@ShimmyhillI've sent you a quick message on Xbox Live using the mic on my Penrose X headset. You wanted to know what the quality was like so figured that was an easy way. Thought something was broken at first as I could hear myself with the mic monitoring, but couldn't hear anything recorded. Silly me hadn't remembered to set the mic volume. Still could do with fine tuning it a little. 

 Although I mentioned I previously used Astro's, I never used the mic with them so have no idea how this headset compares. It sounded ok to my ears, certainly much better than the old pack-in cheapo headset that came with the 360....which you would hope :) And it is with the latest firmware update. I could probably do with getting the mic in a better position to my mouth as well. Not to mention feeling self conscious sending a message like that :) 


Thanks for that, sorry for late reply but I haven’t been on the Xbox much of late!

 

I listened to it and the voice was fine, very clear and you have a nice radio voice going on! There was some crackle evident so I wonder if that’s what people knock the mic for but it sounded decent to me!

 

Given me a bit of an issue tbh, may have to invest....

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:


Thanks for that, sorry for late reply but I haven’t been on the Xbox much of late!

 

I listened to it and the voice was fine, very clear and you have a nice radio voice going on! There was some crackle evident so I wonder if that’s what people knock the mic for but it sounded decent to me!

 

Given me a bit of an issue tbh, may have to invest....

No worries :) That was my best telephone voice, learnt from my granny :D 

I did hear that slight crackle, but I think that is related to the mic volume. There is a cutoff point where it simply didn't record, which is possibly a problem with Xbox Live rather than the headset? (it feels like Xbox Live has a point where if the mic volume is low, it just doesn't pick up sound) I did try it with the volume of the mic increased and although it crackled less it sounded a bit too loud to me and I have dodgy hearing! I must admit that I am really very happy with this headset though. It's nice and comfortable and the fact I can easily use it on my PS5, Switch, PC etc is a great bonus. They claim a battery life of 15 hours, but I'm around that much usage now with no sign of the battery dying. 

 I'm going to connect it to my laptop via bluetooth and also wired and see how the mic fares that way. I haven't recorded on my laptop in ages, but I think the inbuilt voice recorder (Windows 10) will suffice? 

 

 If you lived in Manchester and the virus wasn't such a pain in the arse, you'd have been more than welcome to come try them out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

After hearing the comment about nice radio voice I kind of want to hear the message now. Any chance of posting it here? 

Not a one! :P (sorry to fellow mancunians) but I hate my accent and think I sound like a right scally! 

But honestly, it was an Xbox Live message so no way of posting it I'm afraid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say, my Arctis 7s have really been the cherry on top of this whole next gen shebang. They’re such a massive step up from the Sony Golds in both sound and comfort, and even just using Sonic or whatever it’s called (rather than Atmos or DTS) the surround is brilliant.

 

Sitting there, playing on a whizz fast SSD machine, tanning my retinas with the OLED, while wearing them is bonkers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I have to say, my Arctis 7s have really been the cherry on top of this whole next gen shebang. They’re such a massive step up from the Sony Golds in both sound and comfort, and even just using Sonic or whatever it’s called (rather than Atmos or DTS) the surround is brilliant.

 

Sitting there, playing on a whizz fast SSD machine, tanning my retinas with the OLED, while wearing them is bonkers. 


Wish somebody from SteelSeries would reply to my support ticket logged 18th December about non-arrival of my headphones ordered on the 6th December. Their customer service is a joke and the moment they make contact I’m thinking about just asking for a refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Another quick word about these Audeze Penrose X's. I have tinnitus so it hasn't been easy to focus on, but there seems to be a very slight hiss? in the background when it's silent. Now, to my ears it isn't an issue being so quiet. But it's possible someone with better ears might be bothered by it? Maybe it's the nature of wireless headphones? 

 The charging is my biggest beef though. It isn't a massive problem, but they claim a 3 hour charge time with a 1A USB charger, but it takes double that at least. Like I say, not a massive problem, but if you decided to stick them on charge thinking 3 hours later they will be fully charged, you'll be in for a surprise. Other than that, still loving them. Just can't make up my mind between Dolby or DTS for the best experience at the moment. I also need to try out the preset equaliser settings they have on their site available for download.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.