Next-Gen Headsets

I’ve always used my Bose noise cancelling headphones just plugged into the controller. I’ve always been happy with the sound quality, but I’ve seen some posts on here saying it’s really bad. Is the sound quality from the controller port objectively worse than over Bluetooth? Anyway the recent PlayStation blog post confirmed that 3D audio works using the controller port so I’ll probably continue to use that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2020 at 10:00, Gigawatt said:

I’ve always used my Bose noise cancelling headphones just plugged into the controller. I’ve always been happy with the sound quality, but I’ve seen some posts on here saying it’s really bad. Is the sound quality from the controller port objectively worse than over Bluetooth? Anyway the recent PlayStation blog post confirmed that 3D audio works using the controller port so I’ll probably continue to use that. 

I think if you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. Both BT and via the controller will have some compression and therefore loss in quality but they're perfectly good. 

It's fiddly to get notably better audio out of consoles because the USB audio options are so limited. You basically have to extract the HDMI audio and then send it via a dedicated amp...

So, if you're happy, continue to be happy is my advice! 

2 hours ago, MattKB said:

Well the A20 looks like one to miss:

https://www.ign.com/articles/astro-a20-gen-2-review

I picked up the 7x yesterday, and out of the box it works on Mac, PC, PS4 and Xbox One. I’ve not tried Switch (but it apparently does). All require plugging a dongle into the relevant system and then it’s wireless, and comfy. Need to have more of a play today. 

Steelseries 7x? I didn’t think they were Xbox and PS4?

5 minutes ago, MattKB said:

The 7x is Xbox and the 7p is PS. However the X works on PS but the P doesn’t work on Xbox. Go figure

4 minutes ago, MattKB said:

To add, chat mix doesn’t work on PS4 via the headset. But it sounds like the 7p (or any third party headsets for PS5) have that yet either 

Ahhh bugger, that makes the 7x quite compelling - I had almost settled on the 9x due to the BT but no PlayStation on them for sure

I had the 9x a few weeks ago. Loads of stuttering issues on Xbox with it. Sent it back. 

The 7x sounds the same to me, but has a separate dongle so uses Steelseries 2.4 ghz wireless rather than the Xbox crap one. 

I did tweak the equaliser to ‘performance’ which sounds slightly better. The steel series engine software on pc lets you adjust mic monitoring, the EQ and auto power off time. It seems a bit fiddly getting it to connect and work with the software - I can’t get it to detect the hardware on Mac at all. 

Oh also, you have a few sound options on Xbox today which carries over to Series S/X. 

Stereo - obvious. 
Windows sonic - equivalent of PS4s virtual surround sound

Dolby atmos - licensed version of sonic (£15 per year)

I thought Sonic sounded great in game. There appears to be some issue with Xbox with games whitelisting sonic, and it defaulting to stereo randomly. Spotify (which I’ve been listening to to check for drop outs) has an odd reverb effect using Sonic. 

There’s a free 7 day trial of Atmos which I tried this morning. No weird reverb and sounds great in game (tested CoD Warzone). 

9 minutes ago, MattKB said:

The 7x sounds the same to me, but has a separate dongle so uses Steelseries 2.4 ghz wireless rather than the Xbox crap one. 

Is the Xbox wireless crap? I've had no issues at all with drop-outs or stutter using the Stealth 600 (which use the same Xbox wireless protocol as the controllers) but I'm not an audiophile.

I'd certainly be interested in a single headset that works across both, and I just have to switch the USB dongle between consoles. Is it that simple?

With the 7x, yes. The dongle has a little switch for USB or Xbox mode. So flick that and plug it into your next device. 

It’s a USB 2 to USB C cable. The benefit of the dongle being usb c is that it can plug direct into android or switch in portable mode. 

xbox wireless - it’s notoriously flakey but worse on old xboxes. Mine is an original Xbox one. It keeps doing this:

CA9183FC-5BC8-495B-846B-72FB8080ABF9.jpeg

1 hour ago, MattKB said:

@Shimmyhill there’s a discount on their website at the moment with a code. I’ve only been using it for a few hours so plenty of time for me to find faults yet (as always seems to be the way for headsets) 

7832B293-A0F5-4716-A763-9BC8C6E71161.jpeg

Ordered one, worth a punt at that price will be interesting to see how they compare to my current setup!

11 minutes ago, MattKB said:

What you running today?

Philips Fidelio X2 wired into a Astro mixamp TR and a V-Moda boom mic.

I don’t think the steelseries will come close audio quality wise but the mixamp is only DD so I’m hoping with a better sound signal the new ones will be decent and wireless so the kitten has less wires to be fascinated by!!

With the 7x, yes. The dongle has a little switch for USB or Xbox mode. So flick that and plug it into your next device. 

It’s a USB 2 to USB C cable. The benefit of the dongle being usb c is that it can plug direct into android or switch in portable mode.

Tempted to get this headset with another two dongles so I don't have to keep swapping the dongle between Xbox Series X, PS5, and my PC.

Reckon that would work? Kinda hoping that the headset would automatically pair with whatever machine is currently switched on.

I'm still rocking a pair of Turtle Beach x41s (Yeah, I know) so I need something new.

EDIT: Looks like the multiple dongle idea might not work: 

Oh also, you have a few sound options on Xbox today which carries over to Series S/X. 

Stereo - obvious. 
Windows sonic - equivalent of PS4s virtual surround sound

Dolby atmos - licensed version of sonic (£15 per year)

I thought Sonic sounded great in game. There appears to be some issue with Xbox with games whitelisting sonic, and it defaulting to stereo randomly. Spotify (which I’ve been listening to to check for drop outs) has an odd reverb effect using Sonic. 

There’s a free 7 day trial of Atmos which I tried this morning. No weird reverb and sounds great in game (tested CoD Warzone). 

Atmos Headphone is a one off licence to my understanding. Not annual. Same with dtx headphone x

I got a pair of the  Artis Series 7's last year, they were really nice but also really tight.  I tried stretching then but in the end returned as they gave me a headache after a few hours.

I do have a massive head so YMMV

27 minutes ago, murray said:

Tempted to get this headset with another two dongles so I don't have to keep swapping the dongle between Xbox Series X, PS5, and my PC.

Reckon that would work? Kinda hoping that the headset would automatically pair with whatever machine is currently switched on.

I'm still rocking a pair of Turtle Beach x41s (Yeah, I know) so I need something new.

I don’t think so. It says the headphones are automatically paired to the dongle (pairing looks to require a pc) so I think you’d be constantly changing. 

I wonder if it would work with a usb hub but not really sure. You’d still need to flick a switch between Xbox and everything else. 

Just tried Switch. Works fine too. So that’s basically plug and play on Xbox, PS4, switch, pc and Mac. Have only tried Xbox party chat and the response was I ‘sounded fine’. 

13 minutes ago, MattKB said:

I don’t think so. It says the headphones are automatically paired to the dongle (pairing looks to require a pc) so I think you’d be constantly changing. 

I wonder if it would work with a usb hub but not really sure. You’d still need to flick a switch between Xbox and everything else. 

Just tried Switch. Works fine too. So that’s basically plug and play on Xbox, PS4, switch, pc and Mac. Have only tried Xbox party chat and the response was I ‘sounded fine’. 

Cool. So worst case scenario is just swapping the dongle between the machines when I go to play them.

The only question is whether these will offer the PS5's "3D Audio".

According to Sony, we'll be able to get 3D Audio just by plugging in standard headsets into the DualSense controller, so fingers crossed this headset works that way too.

57 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Atmos Headphone is a one off licence to my understanding. Not annual. Same with dtx headphone x

Excellent news. I assume it’s tied to gamer tag on Xbox. 

3 hours ago, MattKB said:

It seems a bit fiddly getting it to connect and work with the software - I can’t get it to detect the hardware on Mac at all. 

PSA for Mac users, you have to add the app under privacy setting for input monitoring and reboot. 

14 minutes ago, murray said:

Cool. So worst case scenario is just swapping the dongle between the machines when I go to play them.

The only question is whether these will offer the PS5's "3D Audio".

According to Sony, we'll be able to get 3D Audio just by plugging in standard headsets into the DualSense controller, so fingers crossed this headset works that way too.

My understanding is that the fancy 7.1 headphones etc are not needed next gen as both consoles do all the processing on the hardware so any headphones work via controller or USB. 

All headphones are 2.0...they only have 2 speakers!  the 7.1 is hardware on the console / mixamp or even software based but it’s knowing what the consoles are doing and how they send it that I’m puzzled about, if the series x is Atmos and can send over the wireless protocol than I will be chuffed - it they do the 3D positional audio the same way then even better!

Sony have said their 3D audio will work over usb or the 3.5mm jack - knowing the compression is the key here!

The Steelseries 7x arrived today and initial impressions are good. The headset is very comfy and the controls on it are easy to use and I like the dongle can switch between consoles (I’m using on PS4 until series x arrives)

Sound quality seems decent, best wireless headset I’ve heard for sure on initial impressions but will need some time to compare to my current setup - seems loads better than the Sony PS4 wireless headset I had for less than a day before....

I am having issues with the app, why isn’t there an app for iOS.... I can’t get the app to recognise the headset is there even if win10 can see it is there :( I have got my old MacBook Pro out to see if OS X has any more luck...

The connection isn’t the easiest to the app. First tip, make sure it’s on USB not Xbox (I had this problem!). I’ve found connecting the dongle to the PC, then turning the headset on, then plugging it in via the charging cable seems to get it to show up. Various iterations of turning it on/then cable, or vice versa have had success but I can’t remember which way is what. 

If I had one niggle, it would be that I wish the side tone volume was a tad louder - but that’s preference, and that the cable for the dongle was a bit shorter. I’ve ordered some cheap USB to C adapters from Amazon which should arrive today so will let you know once I’ve tested. 

3 hours ago, MattKB said:

The connection isn’t the easiest to the app. First tip, make sure it’s on USB not Xbox (I had this problem!). I’ve found connecting the dongle to the PC, then turning the headset on, then plugging it in via the charging cable seems to get it to show up. Various iterations of turning it on/then cable, or vice versa have had success but I can’t remember which way is what. 

If I had one niggle, it would be that I wish the side tone volume was a tad louder - but that’s preference, and that the cable for the dongle was a bit shorter. I’ve ordered some cheap USB to C adapters from Amazon which should arrive today so will let you know once I’ve tested. 

Ahhh do you need it to be hooked up via the dongle!? I thought it just needed the usb lead :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Yep it needs the dongle too. 

Worked straight away with the dongle! Didn’t need the other usb lead, good job as other half’s laptop doesn’t have any other working USB ports....

Had a bit of a session with it, it’s decent - I assume the PS4 is only sending DD to the headphones as it sounds like the audio is compressed, I really need to try them on an Xbox with atmos to properly decide.