Next-Gen Headsets

I had my first proper go with the 7x on my series x last night and they sound amazing, way better than they did on my PS4 - I was a little bit worried about them after PS4 play but I assume that’s down to the machine not the headphones as I always thought the Sony PlayStation wireless headphones sounded crap.

However what was truly amazing is how good the party chat was in game on Fortnite - my duos buddy is a PS4 player so we were cross playing with the inbuilt chat and it worked perfectly, it actually sounded better than actual party chat on PS4 - my PS4 setup was via an Astro Mixamp and some Phillips Fidelio x2 headphones so I frankly don’t understand it or maybe I had just forgotten how bad party chat has always been on PSN!?

Hopefully PS5 will have better sound over wireless headphones with the 3D stuff but again for the money I can’t recommend the 7x enough.

So with Microsoft (and Sony I believe) dropping optical out and talking about HDMI 2.1, is that beneficial only for hooking up to AV equipment, or are there going to be headphones that make use of it and sound extra mind blowing in some way? Or is that not how it works?

With the Steelseries I assume I can buy extra dongles for the Series X, PS5 etc to save having to keep swapping one between the various consoles? CHeers

46 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Am i right that the only was to get my Astro mixamp working on PS5 is a £35(!) adapter?

https://www.astrogaming.com/en-gb/products/accessories/cable-adapters/hdmi-adapter-for-playstation-5.html?_cpx_camp_rule_id=49#943-000450

Even 3rd party ones on amazon are £20ish

Also @TommyG 's post above is a worry

Oh no! I didn’t realise I needed an adaptor for them to work on the PS5. I think they’ve dropped the ball this time round. 

I thought they would bring out a new range for the new consoles not just a hack job to get the old ones working. 

I think if you are just using a headset you're fine but the mixamp uses optical which the PS5 doesn't have so you need an optical > HDMI adaptor.

Might use this as a reason to get a new headset tbh. Steel series are sounding good except their mixamp equivalent uses optical for Playstation. Maybe i'm just gonna need to wait a bit while they catch up.

4 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I think if you are just using a headset you're fine but the mixamp uses optical which the PS5 doesn't have so you need an optical > HDMI adaptor.

Might use this as a reason to get a new headset tbh. Steel series are sounding good except their mixamp equivalent uses optical for Playstation. Maybe i'm just gonna need to wait a bit while they catch up.

Exactly what I’m thinking. I’ll make do with the mixamp and A40’s and stump up for an adapter before jumping ship and see what the next round of headsets are like 

1 hour ago, TommyG said:

Oh no! I didn’t realise I needed an adaptor for them to work on the PS5. I think they’ve dropped the ball this time round. 

I thought they would bring out a new range for the new consoles not just a hack job to get the old ones working. 

Its a Sony issue not Astro - the Xbox Astro Mixamp can just have a FW update and work via usb and drop the need for optical.

Ive retired my Mixamp now, I can’t be arsed with having multiple solutions for the consoles hence the jump to wireless that works on all of them now.

Help needed rllmuk please! :)

I have the T Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 headset for my Series X but I cannot get mic monitoring to work. The headset is fine apart from that, firmware all updated. The T Beach app even shows me a slider which I have moved up for mic monitoring but I cannot get the slider to move on the audio options from the main dashboard for mic

monitoring, it’s all the way to the left so off in effect and the box is greyed out not allowing access. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their headset or is there something I need to do?

Cheers!

6D6BE359-64C7-41F6-A221-0FE3B678A8DE.jpeg

On 12/11/2020 at 13:34, p1nseeker said:

How do you manage with the relative volumes of game audio and chat audio volumes without a mixamp? I feel like i'm constantly adjusting them.

The 7x have a wheel on the right can to adjust game/chat audio mix - I’ve come from a mixamp and wouldn’t have bought these if it didn’t have it!

9 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

Help needed rllmuk please! :)

I have the T Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 headset for my Series X but I cannot get mic monitoring to work. The headset is fine apart from that, firmware all updated. The T Beach app even shows me a slider which I have moved up for mic monitoring but I cannot get the slider to move on the audio options from the main dashboard for mic

monitoring, it’s all the way to the left so off in effect and the box is greyed out not allowing access. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their headset or is there something I need to do?

Cheers!

6D6BE359-64C7-41F6-A221-0FE3B678A8DE.jpeg

I can’t adjust the mic monitoring on the Xbox on the 7x but can in the steel series app - not sure if it’s all the way on the left like in you pic, will have a look but it’s defi greyed out.

@p1nseeker in the above pic the wheel on the 7x moves the balance for headset chat mixer so you can see on the Xbox what you got it set at.

24 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I can’t adjust the mic monitoring on the Xbox on the 7x but can in the steel series app - not sure if it’s all the way on the left like in you pic, will have a look but it’s defi greyed out.

@p1nseeker in the above pic the wheel on the 7x moves the balance for headset chat mixer so you can see on the Xbox what you got it set at.

Cheers Shimmy. I’ve just worked it out!

When adjusting the mic monitoring slider on the t beach app, you have to ensure the xbox is on at the same time as connecting the headset to your pc or mac via the charge cable when using the app. The setting is then saved. The box is still greyed out but the mic monitoring is now working. Hurrah!

I picked up an amazon warehouse arctis 9x and razor Ravi ultimate to test with my Xbox series x. I’m quite surprised by how quiet they are at full volume, unless I’m missing something obvious? 

Compared to my older sennheiser rs180s anyway...

10 hours ago, watusi said:

I picked up an amazon warehouse arctis 9x and razor Ravi ultimate to test with my Xbox series x. I’m quite surprised by how quiet they are at full volume, unless I’m missing something obvious? 

Compared to my older sennheiser rs180s anyway...

I had a pair of 9x momentarily and found them very quiet too. Also wouldn’t pair with my Mac (apparently a known issue), and annoyingly the sound still comes out the tv when the headset is paired (also a known series x issue). 

Ended up sending them back and getting a pair of Anker Soundcore Q30s and just using that over my tv’s Bluetooth, and connecting a V-Moda Boom mic for the odd occasion when I actually need voice chat. Sounds miles better, significantly cheaper and better suited for my usage. 

tbf I don’t play online a great deal so voice chat not a huge issue for me. 

I just wish that, in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty, you could just buy a headset that will connect wirelessly to both consoles, that's decent quality, where all the features (particularly chat mix) work normally on both.

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

I just wish that, in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty, you could just buy a headset that will connect wirelessly to both consoles, that's decent quality, where all the features (particularly chat mix) work normally on both.

Add in USB-C charging to that and it's what I'm after too.

It just doesn't exist right now does it?

36 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

@Shimmyhill Sorry if you've already covered this, but how would switching between a PS5 and Xbox work, would I have to swap the dongle to change between consoles?

yeah, unplug and plug in -  there is a switch on the dongle that you flick between Xbox and usb (ps and switch) 

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

yeah, unplug and plug in -  there is a switch on the dongle that you flick between Xbox and usb (ps and switch) 

Thanks. That's slightly annoying. I thought the whole point of Xbox Wireless was that the hardware was built into the Xbox. Was hoping you could use the Dongle for PS5 and just switch between the two on the headphones.

It still looks like one of the better headsets, though. Am going to wait for a sale but will almost certainly be picking one up. Has anyone who's got a pair also used the Playstation Gold headset? I'm wondering how they compare to those. I imagine they're a big step up.

Well it does have wireless built in but I guess for flexibility (with using elsewhere) it’s more efficient for the hardware maker to have it in a usb device (like the 7x has) rather than built in (like the 9x has). That way you end up with the ability to use it with more things. 

Also I found the build in wireless kind of sucked for 9x but to be fair that may have been my original Xbox being lame. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks. That's slightly annoying. I thought the whole point of Xbox Wireless was that the hardware was built into the Xbox. Was hoping you could use the Dongle for PS5 and just switch between the two on the headphones.

It still looks like one of the better headsets, though. Am going to wait for a sale but will almost certainly be picking one up. Has anyone who's got a pair also used the Playstation Gold headset? I'm wondering how they compare to those. I imagine they're a big step up.

I had the PlayStation golds for a week and thought they were shite so sent them back, however I was comparing to a setup that’s wired and cost more than the series x so tipping wasn’t fair and the 7x are not as good as this setup, they are however much better than the Sony’s albeit I can’t back to back them.

I think bang for buck the 7x are the sweet spot, I was going to get the Audeze penrose x but they are twice the price and I don’t think they will be as good as my wired setup either so wasted money... I’m still tempted to pick up a set!

So for those of you considering new headsets, is this mainly because you want to go wireless? I assume that if you have a decent set of cans there's no other benefit as you get the same out of the DualSense/Xbox controller 3.5mm jack?

Have these been mentioned yet, they might be an astros replacement. The only issue is that they won’t work on both Xbox and PlayStation. Which is more of a licensing issue that technical one apparently 

https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset

Can be preordered here

https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/products/audeze-penrose-x-wireless-audiophile-gaming-headphones?_pos=2&_sid=a93c4885a&_ss=r

reddit link here