Next-Gen Headsets

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I did a few posts up, tempted but lots of money if not as good as my wired cans hence I went cheaper option and 7x

It’s a risk I don’t want to take. Think I’ll wait until the reviews are out. They seem to tick a lot of boxes and have some great features however. Certainly ones to watch 

14 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think bang for buck the 7x are the sweet spot, I was going to get the Audeze penrose x but they are twice the price and I don’t think they will be as good as my wired setup either so wasted money... I’m still tempted to pick up a set!

I'd never heard of these before. Did a quick Google and have pre-ordered them. Quite excited to hear how they sound. Happy enough using them wireless on the Series X and wired to the controller on the PS5.

17 hours ago, El Geet said:

So for those of you considering new headsets, is this mainly because you want to go wireless? I assume that if you have a decent set of cans there's no other benefit as you get the same out of the DualSense/Xbox controller 3.5mm jack?

Even though it’s just a wire I much prefer the freedom of total wireless. 

I also did not have a good effective mic solution for my wired cans. especially one that offered good manual chat mixing. 

I bought the V Moda Boom Mic to use with either my Bose QC25 or my Sennheiser Momentum 2 overear headphones and neither of them work with it. Buyers remorse: should have checked first. Has anyone used it with either of those headphones? 

I’d be happy to spend on a headset that works with PS5 and Series X but it seems there’s no perfect set out there. 

2 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I bought the V Moda Boom Mic to use with either my Bose QC25 or my Sennheiser Momentum 2 overear headphones and neither of them work with it. Buyers remorse: should have checked first. Has anyone used it with either of those headphones? 

I’d be happy to spend on a headset that works with PS5 and Series X but it seems there’s no perfect set out there. 

That's odd. I'd have thought any headset that can output wired would work with the V Moda Boom Mic's.

I've bought one too to use with my Sony MDR-100ABN's. Got no sound initially but a big of unplugging and messing around with volume etc got it going.

I'll probably buy a non wireless set at some point to plug the mic into at some point just so I don't have to charge the headphones ever. 

The jack won’t fit into the QC25 port, as they have some proprietary port/jack issue. Was surprised that the Sennheiser port was an issue as well. 

I have the Sony Gold headset to be using for a while and a cheap Turtle Beach headset purloined from the kids for the Series X for the time being. Just annoying that there’s no ‘one size fits all’ option for the new consoles. 

34 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

That's odd. I'd have thought any headset that can output wired would work with the V Moda Boom Mic's.

I've bought one too to use with my Sony MDR-100ABN's. Got no sound initially but a big of unplugging and messing around with volume etc got it going.

I'll probably buy a non wireless set at some point to plug the mic into at some point just so I don't have to charge the headphones ever. 

The Moda doesn’t fit properly on the Sony MH-W2000whatever they’re called cans either. I wasted my money. Partly why I went for a proper wireless all in one solution in the end. (Arctic 7X)

1 minute ago, Yiggy said:

The Moda doesn’t fit properly on the Sony MH-W2000whatever they’re called cans either. I wasted my money. Partly why I went for a proper wireless all in one solution in the end. (Arctic 7X)

I’ve got the Sony MX2s and I just used a nail file to make the headphone jack smaller by removing some of the extra plastic. No issues at all now. 

5 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

I’ve got the Sony MX2s and I just used a nail file to make the headphone jack smaller by removing some of the extra plastic. No issues at all now. 

I did that too but the metal jack itself was too loose. I had to hold it in with an elastic band or hold my head perfectly s still. In the end I realised it was a silly solution. 

I've got an annoying issue with cracking noises and disconnects on my stealth 700 headset. It seems only to happen with dialogue heavy games. I was just about to buy a new headset but read that the issue could be related to the new controller. I tried using my spare controller and sure enough the issue is gone so it is definitely related to the new controller. 

If anyone else has the issue thats a workaround that works. Hopefully a firmware update for the new controller will fix the issues. 

On 15/11/2020 at 20:55, watusi said:

I picked up an amazon warehouse arctis 9x and razor Ravi ultimate to test with my Xbox series x. I’m quite surprised by how quiet they are at full volume, unless I’m missing something obvious? 

Compared to my older sennheiser rs180s anyway...

I got the 7x and felt the same, not particularly loud but they're loud enough for my gaming needs but id like a more for music. Was quite surprised they were at full volume when I adjusted the volume dial then checked my xbox for the volume slider also. I expected it was about half or 3 quarters max.

Other than that they're great so far!

1 hour ago, Mr C said:

I've got an annoying issue with cracking noises and disconnects on my stealth 700 headset. It seems only to happen with dialogue heavy games. I was just about to buy a new headset but read that the issue could be related to the new controller. I tried using my spare controller and sure enough the issue is gone so it is definitely related to the new controller. 

If anyone else has the issue thats a workaround that works. Hopefully a firmware update for the new controller will fix the issues. 

Yeah I've seen a lot of people complaining about it and indeed my Astros crackle like a bastard when plugged into the controller. The only "fix" I have seen, is to go into the volume settings on the console and set the headphone volume to maximum then control the volume with any controls on the headsets themselves. Going to full volume on the console does indeed stop my Astros crackling, but I'm shit out of luck as they don't have a volume control on the headset so I'd basically be deaf within a matter of hours. 

22 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Yeah I've seen a lot of people complaining about it and indeed my Astros crackle like a bastard when plugged into the controller. The only "fix" I have seen, is to go into the volume settings on the console and set the headphone volume to maximum then control the volume with any controls on the headsets themselves. Going to full volume on the console does indeed stop my Astros crackling, but I'm shit out of luck as they don't have a volume control on the headset so I'd basically be deaf within a matter of hours. 

I think the issue I am getting only affects wireless headsets though I suspect the issues you are getting are related. Let's hope for a fix soon 

1 minute ago, Mr C said:

I think the issue I am getting only affects wireless headsets though I suspect the issues you are getting are related. Let's hope for a fix soon 

Ah apologies. Because you mentioned the controller I assumed you meant you were plugging your headset into it :) 

My SteelSeries Arctis 7x finally arrived yesterday, and I love it. Also bought the Atmos licence for Xbox and I'm really impressed.

Turns out a brand new headset built for next-gen works a lot better than a 11 year old Turtle Beach headset built for the 360.

Can't believe it.

27 minutes ago, murray said:

My SteelSeries Arctis 7x finally arrived yesterday, and I love it. Also bought the Atmos licence for Xbox and I'm really impressed.

Turns out a brand new headset built for next-gen works a lot better than a 11 year old Turtle Beach headset built for the 360.

Can't believe it.

Im trying to hold out for Black Friday for the Atmos licence, loving the trial thus far....

43 minutes ago, murray said:

Can't believe it.

Where did you order it from? Can only see the 7 on Amazon, not the 7x. 

Weird ask.... could anyone with the 7x weigh the box and contents for me please, and measure it up?

Looks like it’s not yet available in Singapore so tempted to order to my parents and ask them to send it on to me.... but would like to check postage costs first. 

3 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Weird ask.... could anyone with the 7x weigh the box and contents for me please, and measure it up?

Looks like it’s not yet available in Singapore so tempted to order to my parents and ask them to send it on to me.... but would like to check postage costs first. 

Strangely enough I have a parcel scale right next to me! 

Box height - 24cm

Width - 7cm

Length - 24cm

Weight 714 grams

15 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Looking online both of those headphones already have inline mics. i.e. they have 4-pole connectors? (3 metal stripes on the plug) The V-Moda requires standard headphones.

You'd want a TRRS to TRS Male to Female connector to use that mic with that type of headphone. I think the bose is also the smaller 2.5mm variant too? Bit of a minefield if you don't know what you're looking for.

(https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/)

I would of thought someone on the internet would have tried these combos before and mentioned any pitfalls.

Cheers to @Shimmyhill and @MattKB for the ARCTIS 7 review and discount code. 

I'm looking for a headset as I return to PC gaming after a 15 years hiatus. What I can't understand is that the ARCTIS 7X works for every platform, the 7P supports PS5 (but not Series X) and the regular ARCTIS 7 support PS4 but no PS5, XB1 and Series X|S. If there's no price difference why can't they just do a black (not console branded version) that does all platforms. Minor gripe I know.

I've not got any desire at the moment to get a PS5 or a Series X but I'd like this purchase to be future proof. I guess I'm going to have to go for the ARCTIS 7X and just deal with the naff XB green colourway.

Do we expect this to drop at all during Black Friday or just grab the YELO12 code now?

Received the razer kaira pro xbox headset last night and have to say there fantastic. Love the xbox app you can change all the mic and game sounds, even the lighting on the headset. These are also bluetooth so you can add the to other devices. The sound they kick out is fantastic too. The mic has sidetone which is a nice feature to have. Overall very happy with the headset and well worth the money. The quality of build is good too which you don't always get these days.

24 minutes ago, idiwa said:

I'm looking for a headset as I return to PC gaming after a 15 years hiatus. What I can't understand is that the ARCTIS 7X works for every platform, the 7P supports PS5 (but not Series X) and the regular ARCTIS 7 support PS4 but no PS5, XB1 and Series X|S. If there's no price difference why can't they just do a black (not console branded version) that does all platforms. Minor gripe I know.

I've not got any desire at the moment to get a PS5 or a Series X but I'd like this purchase to be future proof. I guess I'm going to have to go for the ARCTIS 7X and just deal with the naff XB green colourway.

Do we expect this to drop at all during Black Friday or just grab the YELO12 code now?

God yes! I wish manufacturers would stop putting horrible green highlights on anything vaguely Xbox branded.

44 minutes ago, idiwa said:

You can replace the fabric apparently, it’s not too bad IRL...

I bought them for the same reason you have, just want them to work on everything and as the 9x and the Audeze don’t it was an easier and cheaper option than I expected!

1 hour ago, Jonnycash said:

Received the razer kaira pro xbox headset last night and have to say there fantastic. Love the xbox app you can change all the mic and game sounds, even the lighting on the headset. These are also bluetooth so you can add the to other devices. The sound they kick out is fantastic too. The mic has sidetone which is a nice feature to have. Overall very happy with the headset and well worth the money. The quality of build is good too which you don't always get these days.

What made you go for this over something like the 7X out of interest?

Seems like I can’t get the 7X over here yet but could get the Kaira Pro, so wondering whether to wait or just get some instant gratification and go with the Kaira.