Do you love Rez but not enjoy Electronic music?

Just wondered, like. 

One of the things I love about it is the sound of your shots connecting and the classic drum machine sounds and acid lines that are generated. If you’re a rock music fan, maybe those sounds wouldn’t have the same impact.   

Yeah, Rez is one of those cases where I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the genre, except for the tracks that the game introduces me to. Then afterwards, I enjoy listening to those particular tracks outside of the game - but I rarely get into the musician's other work to the same extent, because they don't have the same positive associations/nostalgia.

The Dreamcast had a few games like that. I don't care about The Offspring - except for the few tracks that Crazy Taxi 1&2 burned into my brain. Same goes for certain things on the THPS1+2 OST - and much later, in Guitar Hero and Rock Band. And forgive me, but Metal Gear Solid 3's end credits even got me quite emotional about a Starsailor track! :lol:

Rez's Area 5 music, Fear, I love enough that I nominated one of the many fan-ripped versions of it on YouTube for Tom Ewing's World Cup of 2001 Twitter music tournament:

(I didn't nominate the more concise official release of the track on Spotify because it omits the California Soul sample, which as we all know is VITAL to the track. :quote:) Unfortunately it didn't do very well:

It's not my genre at all, but just like with DOOM 2016 it fits the game perfectly and is awesome in that context regardless of genre preference. Would never listen to it outside the game, but within the game it's one for which the volume goes way up for maximum enjoyment.

One of my favourite game soundtracks, I like electronic music though and my tastes aren't particularly niche or deep (basically 90s mainstream crossover stuff like Leftfield, Underworld etc.) which might help.

Area 5 / Fear has the big crowd pleasing moment with the Marcella Detroit sample but equally good and something I've never heard mentioned is the moment in Area 1 towards the end where the melodic baseline kicks in while you're shooting the spinning star fish things that shoot up from the bottom of the screen.

I thought Child Of Eden was okay but the music and visuals were a bit over done and cheesy. Still had some memorable moments like the Whale and the Phoenix. Was just thinking the other day how good it would look up-rezzed on the new Xbox machines.

I love REZ because it's techno rather than more ambient electronica which tends to be more popular. REZ is the best though because it matches gameplay to music better than anything else.

Tetris Effect doesn't tie these elements together as well and the music has more shades of EDM/ambient styles. Child of Eden conversely plays well but has a terrible soundtrack IMHO.

Lumines Electronic Symphony is the secret 2nd best game - a musical journey through James Mielkes mixtape of his youth.

I actually think Eden is okay - or even *decent* - but I just feel like it was up against insanely strong competition in the form of Rez. I'd never listened to Genki Rockets so I was pretty neutral on the soundtrack, but some of the build-ups and drops worked really well with the transitions. I even had tiny goosebumps moments the first time through certain sequences in Beauty and Evolution. :blush: I probably have a bigger issue with the aesthetics of Eden (and, to an extent, TE) because I don't think they'll ever age as well as Rez's simple wireframe world. :D 

I never understood what I was doing wrong with Child of Eden, but the very first time I played it I got to pretty much the same point I'd reach on every subsequent game. I'd end up shouting at the screen, "how do I get better at this?". It wasn't a boss or anything , just playing, thinking I was shooting everything I could and just dying at the same point every time.

Rez is one of those examples of the music being a superb fit that I don't care about when decoupled from that game/other entertainment product. So I suppose the answer is sort of yes as I've never knowingly listened to any of the artists or tracks pre or post their inclusion in that game. But a lot of realworld music chosen for games is like that.

The inverse is also true though, GTA: Vice City is one of the greatest musical compilations released, don't care for the game itself though :P

On 04/10/2020 at 19:12, The Mighty Ash said:

I like electronic music but not Rez.

Is say that Rez is a classic example of a mass appeal product that isn't targeted toward dance music fans. As a big dance music fan, I can't get in to rez but Avicii invector I have really enjoyed, even though I'm not the biggest Avici fan.