Games you love that you know you'll never finish (or are any good at)

Inspired by playing Hades on Switch, I really like it but doubt I'll ever get to the end, I can't take in all the names for stuff and weapons so just enjoy myself wandering round killing things a bit and making it a little further - but know I'll never put the effort in to get good. 

This doesn't kill my enjoyment of the game though and I'll get my money worth just pootling about almost at a superficial level.

I have a very similar relationship with Slay The Spire, got it on Switch & phone, exactly the same in that I really like it and have completed a run or two, but really can't take in all the content and how it works enough to do it with every character and then all the ascension stuff - but that doesn't matter to me again, I really like the game and think its superbly designed to be so accessible to a spanner but deep enough to engage people how it does. 

This isn't an old person moaning about games being rubbish or too long, we've had enough of those threads, its just asking how common is playing games that you know you are no good at, will never finish, but you just like the act of messing about with them for hours ?

Most arcade shooters and other retro arcade games, are like that; Defender, R-Type, Ikaruga, Outrun, etc. I'll buy them again and again each generation, play them every so often and enjoy doing so, without ever 'gitting gud'.

The relationship between being good at a game and loving it is too close for me to ever put up with a game I'm not good at. I get no pleasure from a game I'm bad at. If I'm good at a game and love it, then not finishing it is a source of frustration like not getting round to finishing a book.

There are entire genres like fighting games, racing sims, RTS clickers, that I don't touch at all really because I know I will never be good at them.

Most roguelikes. I can make progress with permanent upgrades and things, but I play them to distract myself for a while, not as something that I'm seriously invested in.

I would say oldschool JRPGs, but I managed the first three mainline Persona games, and finished FFVI (III) for the first time earlier this month. Part of me wants to give Chrono Trigger another try, but the culture of "play through the game thirteen times to finish it" has always been intimidating...

Just the other day I had the urge to finish Manic Miner, one of the first games I ever played, and still very playable. I think the furthest I ever got was Attack Of The Mutant Telephones.

8 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

All those Trials Extreme levels I'll never get to enjoy. 

Even Hard often if I reach one of those leap like a cat up a vertical wall after 20 attempts I'm done. 

good shout on Trials, I buy every one of those to play the easy levels

7 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Part of me wants to give Chrono Trigger another try, but the culture of "play through the game thirteen times to finish it" has always been intimidating...

I suppose if you want to see all the endings you have to do that. But when I played it many, many moons ago, I believe I did just one of the endings, still more than worth the journey. Best 16-Bit RPG ever made.

Can't say I love games I'm shit at generally, Guitar Hero probably qualifies though. You can have fun on that, despite not being an idiot savant at it.

Ikaruga springs to mind. I think it's an incredible piece of game design and I love the idea of what's possible with it's combo system. But the best I could do was get a decent score on the first level or two and survive until the third. I never would have seen the end without infinite continues. 

Edit: Also agree that Trials is a good shout. Happy to spend hours nailing a run on lower difficulty tracks - barely even looked at the expert level.

I bought Half-Life 20 years ago, I still dip in and out of it but never finished it (I actually reached Xen in the Black Mesa remake recently), and Half-Life 2 I bought on release and still haven’t finished (one of my save games spanned over 10 years, before I lost the save) - they’re installed on every gaming PC I build and I return to them like familiar territory, but never stick it through. 

Just now, Gotters said:

good shout on Trials, I buy every one of those to play the easy levels

I totally get better players wanting to be challenged, finding no point in a level unless there's a few tricky bits, although when I watch videos they still seem so supernatural I can't imagine them struggling ever. Trials Evolution allowed you watch runs so you can see the level, on Fusion, Rising I couldn't find that option, but maybe I didn't look properly. 

I often watch speedruns and can't comprehend how good some are. But it's never just some, there's loads. It's like watching Messi on the pitch, except Messi is playing a global game that has 100+ history yet he has a level of ball control and balance than no one has ever had, otherwise everyone would pick up the ball on the half way line, beat 3 players, cut inside and bend it past the keeper. 

Basically I'm rubbish at games and the reaction speed and thumbs stick control doesn't compare to what sportsman do but when you watch someone in Cuphead annihilate the difficulty of the game by killing a boss stood half a centimetre away it doesn't matter, it doesn't change how impressive it is. Or the 14 minute run through the isle of man TT which requires perfect timing and positioning. Maybe there's a thread in which speedrun is the most impressive. 

Every RPG. I think I just enjoy the opening and happy/green early stages of most RPGs, and lose interest as they start getting more difficult (and darker). Final Fantasy X on Vita is the only RPG I’ve ever fully finished. I usually buy them on disc or cart so I can sell them on, or when they’re heavily discounted on the digital stores, because I know I probably won’t see past 10 hours.

41 minutes ago, peeveen said:

Just the other day I had the urge to finish Manic Miner, one of the first games I ever played, and still very playable. I think the furthest I ever got was Attack Of The Mutant Telephones.

Ooh, that's a good shout!

I've done it with save states but that doesn't count.
Boggles my mind that people can finish that without cheating. That room with all the planes. I mean I'm sure there's a pattern there but my mind just rejects it and sees utter chaos!

Coincidentally I was just playing Hades (and getting incrementally further than ever before) and wondering whether I should just accept I’m never going to have cat like reflexes again and put it on god (easy) mode. My policy up to now has always been to play everything on normal difficulty as it would be unbecoming of a gamer to do anything less. But I think it might be time to relax that rule.

Also: all fighting games. Love ‘em, rubbish at ‘em, keep buying ‘em.

23 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Not P4G? I'm sure you were one of the regular players in the thread... :) 

Nope! I got to the last dungeon and just stopped. About 80 hours through? I tried going back but forgot where I was and what the hell I was doing. I still consider it one of the best games I’ve played, absolutely wonderful.

Same with Paper Mario 2. It’s undoubtedly one of the best games I’ve played, but I stopped on the last chapter. I also saw everything Bravely Second had to offer other than the end credits (I even maxed out every job).

If I don’t get bored after 10 hours, I think I have a fear of a game being over :lol:

Almost every game ever.

As I’ve gotten older, maybe the last 15 years or so (basically since university) I’ve probably only finished 10-20 or so games that are longer than 3-4 hours (although I’ve probably played some for more than this just pissing around).

I find the idea of a game more interesting than playing one for a prolonged period for the most part. The majority get very very repetitive after a short period and don’t do much to keep me coming back. I’m of the opinion that almost every major story driven game has an atrocious story that is in no way worthy of me playing multiple film runtimes to experience. I don’t find or take pleasure in just succeeding and find very few have good enough gameplay loops to keep me having fun for more than 5 hours (maybe 10 max).

I love the theory. I love seeing what it is about a game that’s different or how specific elements have been executed. Reading about and discussing that is fascinating to me.

Thats not to say I actually hate games. I’m perfectly happy to play the first 5-10 hours of something and so long as I enjoyed that I’m happy. I can have loved my last play session fo something but I’ll just never turn it on again because I just stop thinking about it.

I guess it’s why it’s mostly short per Indie games that actually get completed. For me the many of my favourite gaming experiences are those in shorter titles that do something different. That’s not to say I think they’re actually the best games but I feel I get the most from them.

I will buy Bayonetta 3 on day 1, but probably not finish it. I know this, because that's exactly what I did with Bayonetta 2. Twice, as it happens.

It's not that I'm not good, it's that I'm nowhere near as good as I once was. I used to be able to sail through most such games, now I find that I reach a point of struggle. This is the danger point, because if I play something else instead, then the old game is abandoned forever. Yet, I still have such fond memories of B1, Vanquish, DMC, etc., that I'm still on board. 

I know going in that I won't finish most games I play these days. And I'm fine with that. I'll gladly buy Trials to beat everyone I know on the first course but never see the 2nd half of the game. I also learned to settle for "not last" in online games a while back.

What changed everything for me was working customer support for a multiplayer competitive game - Golf Clash, on mobile. I got to see for myself just how much skill and dedication is needed to be among the top players. I realised that I'll never have that time, but also that I'll never want to. Prior to that, I wanted to do it all in every game, ever! I'm not even sure I've finished any game on my PS4.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Coincidentally I was just playing Hades (and getting incrementally further than ever before) and wondering whether I should just accept I’m never going to have cat like reflexes again and put it on god (easy) mode. My policy up to now has always been to play everything on normal difficulty as it would be unbecoming of a gamer to do anything less. But I think it might be time to relax that rule.

Also: all fighting games. Love ‘em, rubbish at ‘em, keep buying ‘em.

I play everything on Easy these days, because however good a game is, I want to enjoy it and move on without endless frustration. 

Plus I have so much good stuff to play, I'd rather experience 10 games on Easy mode rather than 5 on Normal.

Yes, I suck at games. :D

I'm another who loves the shoot-em-ups. Ikarguga, Do Don Pachi, the insane bullet hell ones - I love them to bits, but I'm really bad at them - probably because I like them in short bursts. There's a need to memorise enemy layouts, and I won't play them for long enough regularly enough to build up that memory, and my memory for that sort of thing is piss-poor anyway. So I'll just do my useless best and enjoy the ride. And I do genuinely love the rush I get from surviving a few waves of insane bullet-hell, squeaking through inexpertly, amazed that I'm somehow hanging on in there.

I don't buy them myself, but I'm always envious of people who can play and enjoy multiplayer games to a high level, whether they're fighters, shooters, racers, BR games, RTSs, MMOs, or some other genre. My life being the way it is, I can't really commit to multiplayer games at all, and I enjoy playing lots of different games, so the prospect of having just one main game, playing it online with other people and getting good at it is an aspect of gaming which is entirely foreign to me.

If anyone wants Trials help or tips just holla.

As for myself, Sekiro. Love the game, the world, the combat, but I cant be arsed these days spending multiple hours learning a boss or mini boss when Ive limited game time and so many other things to play.

I love arcade games but there's loads of them that I never improved at from day one.  Every game takes place in exactly the same way.  The one that always leaps to mind is 18 Wheeler on Dreamcast.  Every time I play I get about halfway through the third level.  I hit every time bonus that I know of and over the years of dipping in and out I've never got any further than maybe the third or fourth time I ever played it.  I just don't know how to play in any different way, how to make the truck go any faster. See also Crazy Taxi, Child of Eden.  

Also I've never understood how to get good at Mario Kart when other players throw shells at you. There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid stuff that is being thrown right at you, and as a result of being in front of everyone else it happens a lot.  There must be some mad elite skillz to learn but I'm fucked as to what they are.

@dumpster

Don't be right at the front, basically. Be in the leading pack and go ham with the items towards the end of the race. Unless we're talking original SMK, in which case, try to get far enough away that red shells can't get a clear route to you. Hold a green or skin to drop last second to block reds. 

11 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I will buy Bayonetta 3 on day 1, but probably not finish it. I know this, because that's exactly what I did with Bayonetta 2. Twice, as it happens.

It's not that I'm not good, it's that I'm nowhere near as good as I once was. I used to be able to sail through most such games, now I find that I reach a point of struggle. This is the danger point, because if I play something else instead, then the old game is abandoned forever. Yet, I still have such fond memories of B1, Vanquish, DMC, etc., that I'm still on board. 

I know going in that I won't finish most games I play these days. And I'm fine with that. I'll gladly buy Trials to beat everyone I know on the first course but never see the 2nd half of the game. I also learned to settle for "not last" in online games a while back.

What changed everything for me was working customer support for a multiplayer competitive game - Golf Clash, on mobile. I got to see for myself just how much skill and dedication is needed to be among the top players. I realised that I'll never have that time, but also that I'll never want to. Prior to that, I wanted to do it all in every game, ever! I'm not even sure I've finished any game on my PS4.

I find that for Platinum’s games it’s better for me to play it through initially on easy. You have time to try out different combos; perfect dodges; learn the layout of the levels and more importantly earn experience which unlocks a load of extra abilities without the risk of hitting a frustrating section. Then move onto Normal; then Hard as a kind of natural progression as you understand the mechanics.

I'll never be great at Nex Machina in terms of chaining together enormous combos and what-not, but can't imagine not having a blast on it every once in a while. I really wish it had a random mode where enemy placement was stirred up, as I love the moment-to-moment action so much.

Dark Souls

Roguelikes

Most RPG games (

The type of games I tend to finish are narrative action/adventure games (Uncharted, Tomb Raider, TLOU), metroidvanias (Axiom Verge, Guacemelee, Hollow Knight) , and puzzle games (Tetris Effect, Lumines, Rez, Puyo Puyo). 

Far too often, I fall in love with the music of a game but already know I won't like the gameplay/complete it yet still buy them. 

One of my main problems is not having a lot of time to commit. Longer games with complex narratives cause headaches as there is sometimes 1-2 months between play sessions and then I might as well start over again because I am completely out of the story and mechanics. 

Mario Kart for me too. I have bought the 3DS one about 3 times but just get frustrated with it, and my 2 lads batter me at them. Was the same on the Wii version. I just don't get why I can't get good at them. We recently got a Switch and I completely destroy them on Super Mario Kart, but thats a small victory. I want to get 8 Deluxe soon, but I know its going to be a beating each weekend for me.

But I think its also a case of loving games enough that I then put the effort in. RPGs are games that if I get into, I will put the real effort in to get to the end, and enjoy every minute of it.

Fighting games. 

I really like playing them, I'm just really bad at them. I just panic and button mash. 

I've actually given up playing a couple of series - Street Fighter, Tekken and Virtua Fighter - because they've become too complicated for me to even attempt at playing. 

I really enjoy the NetherRealm games, though. Mortal Kombat and Injustice are great. But I'm still just not very good at them. I can only really beat the easier challenges and get murdered online.