IGNORED

Amiga Mini on the Way.

Nathan Wind

Been having loads of fun with Stunt Car Racer, also downloaded the TNT version. No matter how long its been you never forget how to play. Loads of fun spinning around the tracks and riding them like roller coasters. Boosters all the way!

I found a fair few CD32 WHDLoads packs and they all seem to work for me. Was surprised as I thought it would only do the disk WHDload games. One thing I did notice is there's no red light on the bottom of my mouse, wasn't even sure it was working until I started up Simon the Sorcerer, which did seem a bit strange as there's no voice. Sure I've got a copy with that stashed away somewhere on my harddrive.

Edit. Oops seems there's no talkie version as the CD32 copy is too big for WHDload.

WHDload will do most CD32 games with no problems as they are mostly the floppy disk versions dumped onto a CD, occasionally with CD audio tracks which will be removed. The WHDload CD32 versions of Speedball 2 and Wing Commander look better than the standard Amiga versions and were never officially backported.

So what you’re  saying is that it’s almost time to finally put to use that ‘complete’ collection of ADFs I’ve had sat on my desktop for five years. Basically, you’re telling me to buy an A500 Mini. Fine.

39 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

So what you’re  saying is that it’s almost time to finally put to use that ‘complete’ collection of ADFs I’ve had sat on my desktop for five years. Basically, you’re telling me to buy an A500 Mini. Fine.

I'm surprised you haven't bought one already 🤣 They have said that ADF support isn't far off so either fans or RetroGames will add it soon. It was so easy to just stick the full set of WHDLoad games on a USB stuck and it runs loads. Not had any problems so far and must have played 90 games.

I'm really proud of my FS-UAE Amiga Emulator setup on my Macbook, like, really proud. I effectively have an Amiga A1200 laptop.

So why do I so badly want one of these things? What's wrong with me? I'm so tempted.

1 minute ago, Zio said:

I'm really proud of my FS-UAE Amiga Emulator setup on my Macbook, like, really proud. I effectively have an Amiga A1200 laptop.

So why do I so badly want one of these things? What's wrong with me? I'm so tempted.

Because its new hardware and its exciting. Opening the box and seeing it all layed out ready to played is an experience in itself. It's a new Amiga!

2 hours ago, Zio said:

If you can work fs-uae I would say there is no reason at all to buy one of these. 

1 hour ago, MikeJ said:

If you can work fs-uae I would say there is no reason at all to buy one of these. 

Even if you can work fs-uae , that's very different to getting to a point where you can just plug in any WHD file and it will instantly work. That seems to be the main appeal of this box. 

Having said that I am waiting for the one with a working keyboard. 

2 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Even if you can work fs-uae , that's very different to getting to a point where you can just plug in any WHD file and it will instantly work. That seems to be the main appeal of this box. 

Having said that I am waiting for the one with a working keyboard. 

FS-UAE (and probably winuae) has been able to deal with whdload archives directly for years. 

I’d also add that ADF support isn’t that wonderful a feature - you get a whole load of compatibility headaches, stuff takes forever to load, and most of your games will have dubious cracktros on them. WHDLoad sorts all of that out for you so I can see why they went that way. 

I have a Classic Workbench install on a virtual hard drive on my FS-UAE, with loads of WHDLoad images installed on that. As one of those nerdy kids that had an Amiga A1200 with a hard drive back in the day (420MB! I never more than 40% filled it, no matter how hard I tried), it feels like an authentic enough experience for me. But I do love the idea of having this cute little replica with a tank mouse and better CD32 controller for it.

1 minute ago, Anne Summers said:

Sure. But getting it working is a faff, even when you know how to do it. 

If you can get fs-uae working, then adding games to it is no faff at all in that it’s almost entirely automated, which means there would be no practical benefit to buying an emulator box that almost (but not quite) works out of the box. 

If you couldn’t care less about getting an emulator working on a computer (which certainly is a faff if you don’t know what you’re doing) then that’s another matter. 

6 minutes ago, MikeJ said:

If you can get fs-uae working, then adding games to it is no faff at all in that it’s almost entirely automated, which means there would be no practical benefit to buying an emulator box that almost (but not quite) works out of the box. 

If you couldn’t care less about getting an emulator working on a computer (which certainly is a faff if you don’t know what you’re doing) then that’s another matter. 

Ah, well it's been a while since I've done it ... I have an FS-UAE setup with loads of WHD games installed, but I seem to remember having to faff about with creating hard files/virtual hard disks (which are different things) and copying loads of files over manually to get each game working. Perhaps there's a more efficient way to do it now. 

12 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Ah, well it's been a while since I've done it ... I have an FS-UAE setup with loads of WHD games installed, but I seem to remember having to faff about with creating hard files/virtual hard disks (which are different things) and copying loads of files over manually to get each game working. Perhaps there's a more efficient way to do it now. 

There is indeed:

It works in a very similar way to the Amiberry emulator in the A500 mini, but on this one you get nice cover art etc on your manually added games and the online database automatically updates. 

IMG_20220414_190100_766.thumb.jpg.9bcc2e998081ed2a1e6dd2384a9a0bf4.jpg

Dug Rome AD92 out of the pile and realised it worked perfectly on WHDLoad. Takes me back to night after night lost back at school on the A600, I loved this game and probably the closest thing I played to an open world game for years to follow. It's a bit clunky these days but I've just sunk a couple of hours in and remember everything about it, running around Pompei, Britain and the streets of Rome never gets old.

Loving mine so far :) and yes it has surprised how well the controller works.

Would be aces if it were possible to have the added games off a USB stick to have thumbs and info etc like the pre-installed games? Customising menus is a pet love of mine in my older years :D But that's just a silly wish.

I'm probably missing something obvious here but I cannot see how to load a save file without saving another first.

Mid game pressing the Home button takes me to the carousel, then down on the pad to access saved games but there is no load option. I can load once I have saved over another file but that feels clunky.

10 hours ago, nevsan said:

Loving mine so far :) and yes it has surprised how well the controller works.

Would be aces if it were possible to have the added games off a USB stick to have thumbs and info etc like the pre-installed games? Customising menus is a pet love of mine in my older years :D But that's just a silly wish.

Early days but Ihey let you do that with the C64 mini in a firmware update so will probably come in a future one.

I mentioned it a few pages back, but amigalive.co.uk is a small program that pretty much has all these amiga games in. No faffing around setting things up.

I still want a mini but i shall be waiting for a bit of a price drop.

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

I mentioned it a few pages back, but amigalive.co.uk is a small program that pretty much has all these amiga games in. No faffing around setting things up.

I still want a mini but i shall be waiting for a bit of a price drop.

Think you will struggle, the C64 Maxi is still worth around £120 secondhand after several years on the market.

21 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Think you will struggle, the C64 Maxi is still worth around £120 secondhand after several years on the market.

True, but I see the C64 mini go for £30 quite often and im pretty sure it didn't launch at that.

6 hours ago, Big Swifty said:

I'm probably missing something obvious here but I cannot see how to load a save file without saving another first.

Mid game pressing the Home button takes me to the carousel, then down on the pad to access saved games but there is no load option. I can load once I have saved over another file but that feels clunky.

Might need to quit out of the game. On mine once I go to a game and press down it lets me select a save file then loads.