Jump to content

Amiga Mini on the Way.


Nathan Wind
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

 

Are you referring to the A500/A2000 mouse? I recall the standard A1200/A4000 mouse being an RSI-nightmare (though do have large-ish hands).


Yeah, I meant the A500 mouse. I had the A1200 one, and it was a completely generic cheapo 90s mouse that I have no sentimental attachment to, but I thought it’d be nice to use a recreated A500 one for emulation. For a bit. Maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Will this really see the light of day given how protective the Amiga community is on things? I mean, it's not like Krikzz's (excellent) products where you can pretty much drag and drop ROMs (of games you own of course) onto it and they just work.

 

Look at things like WHDLoad, Amigan's seem to be a bit particularly protective about Kickstarts and such which has always made me feel the wider reach of the system is being held back by a minority trying to wring some money our of and old platform. It's absolutely retro and I wish them well but suspect it'll be snarfed by Kickstart issues and the bun fight on who still owns what.

 

Just my 2c...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, new666uk said:

Will this really see the light of day given how protective the Amiga community is on things? I mean, it's not like Krikzz's (excellent) products where you can pretty much drag and drop ROMs (of games you own of course) onto it and they just work.

 

Look at things like WHDLoad, Amigan's seem to be a bit particularly protective about Kickstarts and such which has always made me feel the wider reach of the system is being held back by a minority trying to wring some money our of and old platform. It's absolutely retro and I wish them well but suspect it'll be snarfed by Kickstart issues and the bun fight on who still owns what.

 

Just my 2c...

 

 

 

The perceived problem might be that there is still a commercial aspect to the Amiga - Cloanto purchased Commodore's IP and own the ROMs/Kickstarts etc for the Vic 20, C16, C64 and Amiga and have released the commercial Amiga Forever product for over 20 years. To officially get any version of Workbench and the relevant Kickstart ROMs, you just need to buy them from AmigaForever.com. I think the Plus version at $29.95 has them all. That's why the Amiga community is still protective of making Workbench or Kickstart roms freely available, they're still a commercially available product. 

 

However, Retro Games Ltd have a licensing deal with Cloanto for the C64 roms, they just didn't have the rights to the Commodore name, hence The C64 instead of Commodore C64 - and a strange replacement for the C= key). I would presume getting an Amiga version of The C64 is straightforward for Retro Games Ltd and The Amiga - or whatever it's called as the name Amiga is still owned by someone else I believe - hardware should be easy enough to do.

 

Getting games might be more difficult in some ways but easier in others. There's plenty of Amiga games still for sale on the likes of GoG, so the license owners are still happy making money out of them. However some of the more obscure games might be difficult to license. 

 

Looking at the top 100 games on Lemon Amiga, most of those games still seem to be commercially available. Something like Lotus might be impossible due to the Lotus license. Hewson and Gremlin Graphics' games were licensed to use on The C64, so something like Pinball Dreams, Slamtilt or maybe Zool 2 - as Zool has that Chupa Chups license - should be straightforward to get on it. The Cinemaware games are getting re-releases now, so whoever owns it is likely to license them. Likewise with Team 17 who are still going today. Might be difficult to get Moonstone, because I have no idea who owns Mindscape as it was bought by The Learning Company and then owned by several other companies. 

 

But overall I think this could be really exciting. The Amiga, unfortunately, is an absolute pain in the arse to go back to now. It was around at that point in technology when there wasn't really much interoperability or consistency, never mind a lot of documentation being lost to time or that floppy disks don't seem to be great at lasting 35+ years. 

 

With the Amiga, it's actually a lot easier just using emulation and if this ends up as a full sized version of the Amiga but can underneath emulate all of the systems, including the CDTV and CD32, with the added ability to add your own files, it could be a truly brilliant system that might actually be better than running original hardware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I’ve always found it odd nobody did a small clone board that could use modern peripherals and io but was fully Amiga compatible. 

 

Isn't that just one of the USB adapters? Loads have drivers for controllers don't they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

 

The perceived problem might be that there is still a commercial aspect to the Amiga - Cloanto purchased Commodore's IP and own the ROMs/Kickstarts etc for the Vic 20, C16, C64 and Amiga and have released the commercial Amiga Forever product for over 20 years. To officially get any version of Workbench and the relevant Kickstart ROMs, you just need to buy them from AmigaForever.com. I think the Plus version at $29.95 has them all. That's why the Amiga community is still protective of making Workbench or Kickstart roms freely available, they're still a commercially available product. 

 

However, Retro Games Ltd have a licensing deal with Cloanto for the C64 roms, they just didn't have the rights to the Commodore name, hence The C64 instead of Commodore C64 - and a strange replacement for the C= key). I would presume getting an Amiga version of The C64 is straightforward for Retro Games Ltd and The Amiga - or whatever it's called as the name Amiga is still owned by someone else I believe - hardware should be easy enough to do.

 

Getting games might be more difficult in some ways but easier in others. There's plenty of Amiga games still for sale on the likes of GoG, so the license owners are still happy making money out of them. However some of the more obscure games might be difficult to license. 

 

Looking at the top 100 games on Lemon Amiga, most of those games still seem to be commercially available. Something like Lotus might be impossible due to the Lotus license. Hewson and Gremlin Graphics' games were licensed to use on The C64, so something like Pinball Dreams, Slamtilt or maybe Zool 2 - as Zool has that Chupa Chups license - should be straightforward to get on it. The Cinemaware games are getting re-releases now, so whoever owns it is likely to license them. Likewise with Team 17 who are still going today. Might be difficult to get Moonstone, because I have no idea who owns Mindscape as it was bought by The Learning Company and then owned by several other companies. 

 

But overall I think this could be really exciting. The Amiga, unfortunately, is an absolute pain in the arse to go back to now. It was around at that point in technology when there wasn't really much interoperability or consistency, never mind a lot of documentation being lost to time or that floppy disks don't seem to be great at lasting 35+ years. 

 

With the Amiga, it's actually a lot easier just using emulation and if this ends up as a full sized version of the Amiga but can underneath emulate all of the systems, including the CDTV and CD32, with the added ability to add your own files, it could be a truly brilliant system that might actually be better than running original hardware.

RGL is directed by the same person who is licensing director for Antstream, the good Mr Darren Melbourne, purveyor of fine chips of both the silicon and potato variety. So I'm fairly sure the games will be a similar set to those included on that platform (same as the crossover you will see with Antstream and TheC64.)

So I would expect a good deal of what you've mentioned, along with possibly some Bitmaps and Sensible stuff. The Cinemaware stuff I'm not so sure about, as that seems to be quite guarded (and well used) by whoever owns it. Certainly I would expect some Team 17 and maybe some Interplay for a bit of US flavour (the biggest market for TheC64, from what I've seen). 

 

The game that would make this a day one purchase for me though would be Dungeon Master. I would think that's highly unlikely though, as from what I know the IP owners have resisted (or more accurately, ignored), any attempts to license and rerelease it. Possibly because it has a strong homebrew community around it, and they don't want anyone to interfere with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
On 28/10/2020 at 16:33, Anne Summers said:

RGL is directed by the same person who is licensing director for Antstream

 

That explains why I've found some very dodgy licencing on Antstream then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't realise they made a 'new' Vic 20 and now I want one but cannot seem to find anywhere selling them. It was my first home computer and I have such fond memories of gaming on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this sort of thing even doable? I mean compared to the 8-bit computers the Amiga was more complex, there were more configurations, different gamed worked on different systems. So unless they really go to town getting every game to work right in the right environment I can't see this being viable. 

 

Would prefer a decent little Amiga emulation box, sort of like a hardware version of Amiga Forever that you could attach your own keyboard and mouse to, get an OS going, maybe make it so you can run disks off a USB stick like a Gotek drive. Now that I would buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends what it is really. If you have the right OS ROMs and your games are in the right format, then Amiga emulation is pretty easy on, say, Retropie. With a closed system with a set number of games, I would imagine it would be pretty easy to get stable configurations set up for each game you include, with a user-friendly UI. So a plug-in thing like an Amiga equivalent of a SNES Mini would work fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Is this sort of thing even doable? I mean compared to the 8-bit computers the Amiga was more complex, there were more configurations, different gamed worked on different systems. So unless they really go to town getting every game to work right in the right environment I can't see this being viable. 

 

Would prefer a decent little Amiga emulation box, sort of like a hardware version of Amiga Forever that you could attach your own keyboard and mouse to, get an OS going, maybe make it so you can run disks off a USB stick like a Gotek drive. Now that I would buy.

 

They only need to make it work with a selection of games in the box, seeing as it will be an A500 it won't matter about the rest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno. The case looks like an A500 based on that silhouette above, but it would be odd if it only functioned as an A500 - it presumably wouldn’t be particularly difficult to emulate more powerful Amigas on whatever hardware they use. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surely it'll just end up something like a WinUAE front end with licensed Kickstarts, HDMI, a keyboard and a bunch of game images? Basically Amiga Forever in hardware form. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to imagine it'll do 500 and 1200.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

this gonna be the usual emulator on an arm processor we reckon?

 

The C64 is, no reason this would be any different. There's certainly no way it's gonna be FPGA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dudley said:

You might find a Mister is a good compromise, and it'll do a much much better job of playing games than this will.

Isn't that likely to be just as complicated (if not more so) than getting a real one?

The one advantage of these mini machines /replicas is that they just work, right away, out of the box.

(In theory. The C64 Mini I used actually didn't, until I installed a patch that came out a short while after it was released, it would just randomly freeze up all the time). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Much less than modding a real Amiga, a little more than a sketchy emu box.

 

But then when it works it'll work a lot better, the Amiga has emulation issues even on real machines, the Cannon Fodder funeral theme voices were playing out of time with each other last I tried it on UAE for example and while they should check their bundled games I assume people are looking to run more than the bundled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/07/2021 at 21:46, dave7g said:

I would love one of these, the thoughts of getting a real one and modding it all sounds so complicated, I just wouldn't be able for it.

I believe the Pi 400 is considered a decent alternative for under £100 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Pi400 will do at least as good a job as any Amiga 600 Mini would yes.  and only be marginally harder to set up if you download someone else's Amiga image.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Nathan Wind changed the title to Amiga Mini on the Way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.