Amiga Mini on the Way.

Nathan Wind

I never had an Amiga, bought an Atari St because I wanted to be different. Regretted that decision when I was younger a lot. I be definitely interested in an Amiga mini if released, good memories playing Blood Money coop with my mate alongside Chaos Engine and Speedball2 

3 hours ago, yakumo said:

Saying that I wouldn't mind an Atari Ste mini, I wanted to buy one again but the fact I don't have an  old TV and getting HDMI is pita.

VGA?

You'd think given the ghost of Atari would licence their granny for a quick buck a mini-ST would have been a thing.  It'd be 90% of what a mini-Amiga would be and they could have got it out first.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

You'd think given the ghost of Atari would licence their granny for a quick buck a mini-ST would have been a thing.  It'd be 90% of what a mini-Amiga would be and they could have got it out first.

It has taken them 4 years to get the “new VCS” out and that’s a bog standard Linux PC. They wouldn’t do a mini-ST any quicker!

On 04/07/2021 at 04:07, Dudley said:

A Pi400 will do at least as good a job as any Amiga 600 Mini would yes.  and only be marginally harder to set up if you download someone else's Amiga image.

Is emulation that good, these days? I need to get in on that. I actually have the kickstart ROMS legally (I think) through some Amiga thing I bought on Google Play of all places.

edit- this is it

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloanto.amigaforever.essentials&hl=en&gl=US

Just installed it and confirm it still works and downloads 1.2, 1.3, 2.04, 3.0, and 3.1 kickstart roms.

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Is emulation that good, these days? I need to get in on that. I actually have the kickstart ROMS legally (I think) through some Amiga thing I bought on Google Play of all places.

edit- this is it

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloanto.amigaforever.essentials&hl=en&gl=US

Just installed it and confirm it still works and downloads 1.2, 1.3, 2.04, 3.0, and 3.1 kickstart roms.

Amiga emulation is really not that much more difficult than emulating a console these days, especially if you’re going through a Raspberry Pi or something. The most difficult bit is actually finding all the relevant stuff, like unencrypted Kickstart ROMs, and decent LHA versions of games. There are decent online guides for more or less anything. 

22 hours ago, TehStu said:

edit- this is it

Doesn't really matter if it is or not, that Amiga Mini we're talking about in the thread is almost certainly going to be the exact same emulator.

But yeah, it's pretty close.

56 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Doesn't really matter if it is or not, that Amiga Mini we're talking about in the thread is almost certainly going to be the exact same emulator.

Well, I've been away from emulation proper for a good decade, only dabbling here and there. If we're at the point a $35 computer can do an Amiga then I need to knuckle down and get back into it.

The Pi400 isn't a $35 computer.  But both a Pi3 and 4 have the power to do a 1200 quite happily.  Your best bet to sail... bits of the internet and find a pre-made image. I've got an RPi3 one with just about everything already configged that I use for virtually everything including most of the last year or so of amiga stuff for YouTube.

But also, look into the Pi400 because it's basically a 600 in design before you start.

22 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The Pi400 isn't a $35 computer

Yes, sorry, I meant the raw power to do Amiga emulation is available to a $35 computer (the Pi 4 2gb), appreciate you need at least double that spent to make it usable. I used to throw a powerful PC at this problem space, costing an order of magnitude more.

Solidly tempted by the Pi400 for this. I'm sure a Pi 5 is in the pipeline and that's an excuse to free up my Pi 4, but the neatness of having the built-in keyboard is a huge plus.

There is absolutely a Pi5 on the horizon but bear in mind thanks to better cooling the 400 is already quicker and less likely to throttle than the Pi4 and that you're way past what you'd need for the OCS Amigas or than A1200 which is I suspect all you're looking for.

And now I re-read and realise you have the 4.

Yeah, I'm intending to go for the neat solution but already owning the $35 is what's stopped me doing so so far :D I'll have to see if I can find a good prebuilt Pi400 Amiga image.

I still use a Pi 1 as an Amiga sometimes. Providing you use the RISCOS image and the Amiga emu under that (rather than Linux) you can run most A500 games full speed without any issues. A Pi 4 is massive overkill!

Yeah, I have the Pi 4 in a Flirc case and so don't experience throttling, but it's my daily driver (posting from it now!) for general guff. Would love to eventually turn it into a dedicated emu box though, but that needs a Pi 5 to come out :) 

Not heard the term “daily driver” before.

My emulation box is a Pi 3 and I’ve a Pi 0 in a GB box for handhelding.

On 09/07/2021 at 23:01, deKay said:

I still use a Pi 1 as an Amiga sometimes. Providing you use the RISCOS image and the Amiga emu under that (rather than Linux) you can run most A500 games full speed without any issues. A Pi 4 is massive overkill!

Which amiga emulator are you running under RISCOS? Just installed it tonight on an old pi and wouldn't mind trying the amiga emulator.

3 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

Which amiga emulator are you running under RISCOS? Just installed it tonight on an old pi and wouldn't mind trying the amiga emulator.

I think it's UAE.

• Nathan Wind changed the title to Amiga Mini on the Way.