IGNORED

Dumbest Gaming Stuff You Done

Marlew

I was so heavily into my 360 that when my wife bought me the new Slim PS3 I was a tad annoyed and decided against playing any games on it and used it solely as a Blu Ray player. I even sold Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 without having ever played either.

Jump forward a couple of years and there was me finally playing all of the glorious PS3 games I missed out on (including second hand copies of Uncharted and Killzone) and thinking what a muppet I had been.

I wouldn't exactly call it 'dumb', but I certainly burnt up unnecessary holiday time in my first job, some manufacturing place that had a large Tesco over the road.

Work started at 8am. I'd walk to work, stop en route at the Tesco, and pick up some hot mid-week launch like GTA IV or COD:MW2 at the time. After that, I'd get into work, fill out a backdated holiday request form and leave it on my boss' desk before anyone else arrived (and even if they were, they'd be having breakfast or having a smoke because it was the end of night shift).

Boss comes in, approves holiday, I fuck off after a few hours and play the fuck out of said videogame. Zero fuss.

An actual bonus dumb moment is probably renting Suikoden 2 from the indie game shop in town and not bothering to buy it outright. It genuinely haunts me that I had some game worth a couple hundred quid in my hands on borrowed time. I mean, renting a JRPG is fucking daft anyway.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

I went through a period of playing COD every night until 3 or 4am, and then getting up at 7 for work. To say I could barely function would be an understatement - I used to just sit at my desk like a zombie, zooming in and out of AutoCAD. It's a mystery how I kept my job as I basically didn't do anything.

Same but with Monster Hunter,  were it not for an extra 45 minutes  kip on the bus on the way to work I'd have been dead. Traffic jams on the motorway were heaven.

Does one-more-going Ouendan on the bog to the point where you can't feel your legs count as a dumb gaming shit?

Spending a fortune on a Virtual Boy and then being unable to use it as I can't see in 3D.

To be fair though, I didn't realise I was stereo blind until then, I thought I just had shitty eyes but when I next talked to the optician, they filled me in on the fact that I have never seen in proper 3D.

Also, like @dumpster, I bought a 3DO at launch. Even went to a 3DO event after hours at a GAME shop, that reinforced my ridiculous belief in that console.

I paid my way to LA and into E3 to see Halo2 the year it was announced, only when I go there to find it was only playable behind closed doors. 

At the time I was unemployed so it basically left me skint afterwards. No regrets. 

Speaking of Halo, I imported a launch day US Xbox just to play it early. It cost me a grand and left me skint. No regrets!

I used to play Team Fortress Classic an insane amount. Every night until the sun came up and then go to work the next day. I used to leave all the European players as they went to bed, then jump onto the US servers until they went to bed. I was accused of cheating every day, which felt good as it was all me.  

If there was a pro scene back then I would have probably been a pro, or at least tried to be. I even made videos using the ingame recording engine, but as I couldn't capture my microphone in the footage I used to pre-bind my chat onto keys so it'd come up in the ingame chat at certain points. 

I had people contact me from all around the world about them videos, asking how I did various things! I even had US clans challenge me and my clan as they felt their scene was far better... It wasn't! The only ever games to get close to that addiction was Halo2 when it first launched, playing over Live, and WoW when that first released. 

Some regrets...TFC was a serious addiction that held me back for several years. 

Parked my car in a particularly shady spot but was free. My plan was pick it up before it got dark and all the other cars left, then move it to a safer location in town. 

I went to my local arcade and they’d just got in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Ended up getting sucked into sessions on game and not going back to the car until after 9pm...My car had been broken into and a mate’s jacket had been nicked. :facepalm:

I was so hooked by the story on SW KoToR on the OG Xbox that I would play for "just a few minutes" most mornings while eating breakfast - which then turned into an hour or so of play.   And then I'd be late leaving for work, hit traffic and inevitably turn up at the office an hour late.   I did that every day for probably for a solid week or two. 

Earned myself a verbal warning.  Achievement unlocked!

Missed a friend’s sixteenth birthday party because it was on the day MGS2 came out. I didn’t even make any excuses, just told everyone I had more important things to do and ignored everyone being angry at me. 

More recently I spent an extra £60 on a Japanese copy of Dark Souls 3 to play it a week early in a language I don’t speak, then switched to an English copy that I’d also paid full price for when that came out. 

When we were wrapping up modules in college towards the end of the year, we gradually ended up with more free periods in the week, so my friend thought it would be a great idea to bring his console in, hook it up to a display in one of the free rooms and get some multiplayer in. The staff didn’t mind this (as long as we finished and arrived to our next class in time)... but the games were Halo 2 and Burnout 3, the console was the OG Xbox and we still had to take turns carrying it around for the rest of the day. Having all that weight on your back made the whole ordeal seem a bit dumb... :P 

5 hours ago, Broker said:

More recently I spent an extra £60 on a Japanese copy of Dark Souls 3 to play it a week early in a language I don’t speak, then switched to an English copy that I’d also paid full price for when that came out. 

I did something similar with Persona 3 Portable when that was released on the JP PSN store. I think I still managed to play through it since I knew the PS2 game’s story and progression well enough... 

Bought guilty gear xrd from ps store and then found out after a week of playing that the European version had never been patched and was never getting dlc.

Immediately purchased the game again with an American account so I could use the latest balance patch.

£80 down the drain.