First and Last Games of this Generation

So what was the first game you bought for your shiny new PS4 and Xbox One back in 2013? Which game did you excitedly install and start playing first?

And which will be your consoles swansong? Which will be the last game you play on your ageing hardware: headphones on to drown out the loud fans?

For me: I bought my PS4 for Bloodborne, but it was Resogun which I played (and loved) first. And then Killzone....but the less said about that, the better. 

And as for it's swansong: probably Yakuza 6 - although that will be a while off. I've still got 3, 4, 5 and Judgement to play through before that. Good job I'm in no rush for a PS5.

As for Xbox, I got mine in 2014 with two games: Forza 5 and...

And the last game I play on my One X before my Series X arrives will probably be:

Hmm, nice 'Space' themed symmetry I've got going on there. 

First games on PS4 were Resogun, Contrast and Killzone. The latter I played for about half an hour and gave up as it was dreadful. Last game will be something already on the shelf, most likely Last of Us Part 2.

First XBone game was Ryse. Waited ages before I could play it as it took a monumental amount of time to install. Didn't realise that due to default settings it wasn't installing the game from disc, but downloading it on my then painfully slow Sky broadband. Last game on XBone has already been played - Titanfall 2. My Project Scorpio will shortly be boxed up ready to sell. 

Currently don't have an order in for a new machine as I cancelled my Series X preorder. Will pick one up at some point next year.

I didn’t get my PS4 until just before Destiny came out, which having played the PS3 demo made me want one, first games I played were The Last Of Us Remastered, Outlast and Resogun, then a week or so later, Destiny. The last games I played this year were The Last of Us Part II and Spider-Man.

Xbox I didn’t get until quite a few years after launch - I played Halo 5 and Elite first, I think. The last game was probably Gears 5.

Contrast on PS4 was the first. Mostly forgotten now but I really enjoyed it, especially the 1920/30s setting. 

Last will be Mafia. Set in the same era though rather different in tone and appearance.

A launch I bought Killzone Shadowfall, Battlefield 3, and Assassin's Creed Black Flag.  Also got Resogun and Contrast as the first PS Plus games IIRC.

From memory I played KZ first, but would've got most value out of BF3 and AssFlag.

The last game purchased for PS4 will have been Star Wars Squadrons, but I'm also playing Horizon Zero Dawn as a swansong too.

I don't know. How am I expected to remember that? What I had for breakfast this morning is a vague, distant memory.
If pushed, I'd go with "toast".

edit: I had a look at my email but I must have been buying store credit and getting the games with that. Resogun I think was the first, for myself last would have probably been caladrius blaze (didn't like it).
Xbone, christ, no idea. Might have been a call of duty first, can't remember the last game.

I came a couple of years later to the generation, picking up an Xbox One with Arkham Knight in the summer of 2015.

So that's the first game I bought. But I hadn't played Arkham City at the time - it was on my pile of shame - so I got stuck into it instead, before getting fed up with Batman and so moving on to other things that year. Which means I bought an Xbox One in July, and the first game I bought and actually played was either Rock Band 4 or PES 2016. I didn't get either until October. Until Red Dead Redemption 2 arrived, they were the only three games I owned on disc, having done the rest of my business digitally, much to my surprise.

My last purchase at the time of writing, Games with Gold notwithstanding, is Forza Horizon 3. There may be more purchases yet for the Xbox One, but it's increasingly unlikely. I don't own a PS4, but I'll probably get one, or a PS5, to play the various games I've missed. So I'll be buying PS4 stuff long into the forseeable, unless Sony give them away for free.

I still haven't played Arkham Knight.

I didn't pre-order a PS4, and then on the week of release decided I'd quite like to have one. The only place with stock was GAME; and to buy one you had to buy one of their bundle "deals". So for 655 quid I ended up with the PS4 value pack (console, two controllers, camera, Killzone); Battlefield; Call of Duty; FIFA; Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Need for Speed Rivals. It wasn't a great launch line up and I seemingly ended up with half the launch games. I think Killzone; Battlefield; Call of Duty and FIFA received about an hour's play each - I don't like first person shooters and FIFA isn't Pro Evo. I gave up on Assassin's Creed due to some awful tailing mission early on. Need for Speed I completed. I spent most of the next year playing Wii U; catching up on the games I'd missed on the Xbox 360 and PS3 and playing updated ports of the likes of Tomb Raider and GTA V on the PS4. It really wasn't the best first year.

Not sure what the last PS4 game I'll play will be. In terms of forthcoming releases Ys IX is due out early next year, so that would be a fitting end to what in the end was a great console.

Xbox 1 - dead rising 3. Pretty sure I had Forza as well but wasn’t too interested in that. 

last game - Yakuza Kiwami 2. Still gotta fair bit to go and can’t see me finishing before I pick up a series x.

Ps4 - dc universe online. Weird choice perhaps but the only physical copy game I had was killzone as it was the bundle, and I wasn’t interested - think I sold it on for cheap. I was always kinda interested in it and saw it listed as “free” on the store when I first booted up to browse so thought I’d give it a shot. Ended up really enjoying it and even subbing for a bit.

Last game - Farcry 5. Another weird choice, and definitely not picked deliberately as a “swan song” or anything. It was just cheap in a sale recently, I’ve never played a far cry game and ended up giving it a shot and really enjoying it.

My first PS4 game was Battlefield Hardline because Bloodborne wasn’t out for a week. Don’t know about last game, I imagine I’ll be using it for a while still.

First Xbone game was Cuphead. Last was Witcher 3. Doubt I’ll use it again.

Xbone - Forza 5, and probably finish with some shitty cheevo rinsing game due to the 10k points being offered this month, then it's getting boxed up and sold.

PS4 -  Resogun possibly, and will be finishing on Judgment or Mile Morales. No real rush to get a ps5 for me until there's a new GT and Everybodys Golf.

I bought mine for Bloodborne. I also bought Far Cry 4 and Alien Isolation.

I got it all on a work day so I played a bit of FC4 first as a low risk, keep my job type option.

Still haven't properly played Alien.

I'll probably finish up with Cyberpunk. No doubt I'll dip back in to certain things that I'm already playing, like Snowrunner.

I got my PS4 late, bundled with Red Dead Redemption 2, which was the game that pushed me to finally take the plunge this generation (I still haven't finished it by far, spent loads of time moseying around hunting, fishing and playing card games though). The last game will probably be something in VR which is what I've spent most of my time with (and was the reason I went for PS4 rather than an Xbox this gen). I'm in no hurry to join the next gen (can't afford it), so that's a long way off yet.

My first PS4 games were Call of Duty Ghosts I think it was on release, and Battlefield 3. No idea what my last will be, but there’s still Cyberpunk, Yakuza 7 and Deathsmiles set to be released. Saying that, no console ever gets truly retired in my house, just put away until I get the urge to play on it again. The 360 and Wii U have both been played in the last couple of months.

Xbox One

First game - Between Dead Rising 3 and AC Black Flag (can't remember)

Last game - I have too many on the go, possibly Destiny 2 (which I will continue on Series X)

Ps4

First game - Infamous First Light

Last game - on and off on the bizzare but brilliant Death Stranding. Not likely to be my final PS4 game though. 

My first game of the generation was Destiny on PS4. I really enjoyed it at the time. I bought the white console that came bundled with it.
I haven’t bought a current gen console game since March - Doom Eternal for Xbone. That’ll probably be my last as apart from Gamepass games, I mainly play on PC and Switch these days.