Jump to content

Grand Theft Auto VI - Leaking all over the place


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

Found the leaked footage disappointing, not cos of how it looks but because it seems like the game mechanics are barely changed from GTA V. I was really hoping for more emergent and free form play. I dunno if I'm interested in GTA V +.

I'm sure the graphics will come together but yeah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Not sure how you’d end up with the entire source code from a purported Slack leak. Debug videos, sure.

Who said that stuff came from Slack?

 

Slack might have just been the entry point to get onto the servers, where it would be possible to access anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SMD said:

Found the leaked footage disappointing, not cos of how it looks but because it seems like the game mechanics are barely changed from GTA V. I was really hoping for more emergent and free form play. I dunno if I'm interested in GTA V +.

I'm sure the graphics will come together but yeah.

 

I don't see how the leaked footage in any way suggest that the next GTA game won't be more emergent and free form? No matter what direction the game ends up taking, the core of the game would always have been what we already know, like crime stuff, robbery, car theft, car chases etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SMD said:

Found the leaked footage disappointing, not cos of how it looks but because it seems like the game mechanics are barely changed from GTA V. I was really hoping for more emergent and free form play. I dunno if I'm interested in GTA V +.

I'm sure the graphics will come together but yeah.

 

Were you really expecting Rockstar to change much? A formula that has worked so well and one which no-one has even dated challenge?

 

I hope there will be some smaller tweaks that change the dynamics a little but expecting major shifts seems to be expecting too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thesnwmn said:

I hope there will be some smaller tweaks that change the dynamics a little but expecting major shifts seems to be expecting too much.

 

I'm in the same boat. I am both expecting and hoping for more of the same tbh. A bit more creativity and variety in mission design would be great and perhaps some mechanics that can alter the campaign in the direction you choose to play would be exciting, but I'd be happy with more of the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

 

Were you really expecting Rockstar to change much? A formula that has worked so well and one which no-one has even dated challenge?

 

I hope there will be some smaller tweaks that change the dynamics a little but expecting major shifts seems to be expecting too much.

 

GTA V came out on the PS3 and 360, it'll be 10 years old next year, Rockstar have made billions off it - why on earth wouldn't we expect Rockstar to do something truly next gen?

 

It's fucking Rockstar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All they really need to do for me is sort out the character handling, gun play, driving, etc, make the missions more open and free form, so you can plan your own strategies and fill the world with more incidental quests, so it feels more alive. Not much then!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SMD said:

 

GTA V came out on the PS3 and 360, it'll be 10 years old next year, Rockstar have made billions off it - why on earth wouldn't we expect Rockstar to do something truly next gen?

 

It's fucking Rockstar. 

 

Maybe I'missing something but I'm not sure that outside of the big open world playground (which is great) that Rockstar have shown much incentive to lead mechanically.

 

Whilst I think they've done some masterful things with GTA they're not someone I ever expect to actually surprise me. It took them forever to adopt gunplay that wasn't shit. They still made a game that controls terribly (imo) in RDR2. And they showed little care for their own history or products with the GTA trilogy remaster.

 

I'm up for a fun playground. I hope they enrich that with more things to do and make exploring such a joy again.

 

But I also expect by the numbers run and gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SMD said:

 

GTA V came out on the PS3 and 360, it'll be 10 years old next year, Rockstar have made billions off it - why on earth wouldn't we expect Rockstar to do something truly next gen?

 

It's fucking Rockstar. 

 

I agree that we should expect something new but doing something truly next gen doesn't have to mean anything but longer draw distances, more detailed characters and slightly more advanced particle effects. The generational leap between PS4 and PS5 is basically just more brute power but the most of the added power we now have over last gen will be used for making sure the games runs in 4k rather than 1080p. 

 

Developers have always been trying to do new stuff with the added hardware power for each generation and the way games are designed today is pretty much exactly like the games during the PS3/X360 era. We're currently 2 years into the new generation but we're still getting cross generation games where, in theory, the only differences between playing on a PS4 or PS5 is basically either 1080p30 or 4k60 (if that). 

Even the recently announced Like a Dragon 8, coming out some time in 2024 (or even 2025 if it gets pushed back) will be released for PS4 as well. 

 

With that said, I'm actually confident with Rockstars ability to bring something new and exciting to the table, I'm pretty sure GtA6 will be more than a reskinned GTA5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These posts are a bit weird because every Rockstar game has added on new mechanical aspects, and all the rumours were that this does add a lot more, in particular it’s been inspired by the GTA Roleplay servers and how they’ve modded the experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I always found the fun to be much more just fucking about in the world than doing the missions.

 

Same. But I do suspect the reason for that is that many missions are just fillers. There are genuinely good missions in the GTA world, but there's just too much of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

True, I wonder if they'll bake in a role playing platform or features this time, or just turn a blind eye to the modders who support RP stuff. The spike in GTA5 roleplaying popularity definitely reingorated interest in the game. 

 

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about gameplay from the videos. We're seeing an early build that's over 2 years from final where they're still testing combat, animations and without the context of the structure or activities. You could have 7 mins worth of leaked footage from Red Dead 2 and it would never have prepared people for the madness. I do hope they learned their lesson from the on-rails, old skool design of single player missions in Red Dead 2 though and embrace the freeform nature of GTA once again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

These posts are a bit weird because every Rockstar game has added on new mechanical aspects, and all the rumours were that this does add a lot more, in particular it’s been inspired by the GTA Roleplay servers and how they’ve modded the experience.


I’d be interested to hear what kind of mechanics you’d point out that they’ve added. To me it feels like they added a lot of mechanics in San Andreas, but since then there’s been very little added. The core of shooting and driving has been improved steadily, but there’s not loads of other stuff going on and in comparison to other open world games, it feels a bit light to me, but maybe there’s stuff I’m forgetting or not focusing on.

 

28 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

True, I wonder if they'll bake in a role playing platform or features this time, or just turn a blind eye to the modders who support RP stuff. The spike in GTA5 roleplaying popularity definitely reingorated interest in the game. 

 

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about gameplay from the videos. We're seeing an early build that's over 2 years from final where they're still testing combat, animations and without the context of the structure or activities. You could have 7 mins worth of leaked footage from Red Dead 2 and it would never have prepared people for the madness. I do hope they learned their lesson from the on-rails, old skool design of single player missions in Red Dead 2 though and embrace the freeform nature of GTA once again.

 

Adding in RP would be a huge addition. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, amc said:

Salt and pinch but saw a couple of posts around that the hacker is a 16 year old kid from the UK. If so he's fucked lol.

 

What's with the laughing? 

If this is indeed a 16 year old kid it's actually really sad if his actions might end up ruining his life forever. Being a parent for kids in that age might be the reason that particular post triggered me but the thought of getting a phone call from the police out of the blue explaining to me they suspect my son of cyber theft is way up there among my worst nightmares. 

 

I am not in any way saying the actions are ok, no matter what the age of the hacker but at 16 the individual might not have had the full understanding of what he\she stumbled upon before it was too late. 

If it was truly deliberate in hope of making a dime then he\she should be punished but I certainly don't hope it's to the extent of being fucked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst I realise kids can make mistakes any kid who likely has the capability, capacity and/or perseverance to get this information must have some understanding of how wrong this was. Whether they really understand the type of consequences is a different matter.

 

I don't think someone "stumbled" on this. They didn't download a hundred videos and then publish them without thinking it might be something big.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To clarify, a daft unnuanced lol at the end of my post doesn't convey how I think this person, kid or no, should or should not be treated or any glee. Just that if whoever did hack Take Two are based in the UK they are pretty much fucked and it's perhaps slightly comically naïve. You'd need to be watertight to pull off such an audacious and high profile hack from a prosecution friendly country. 

 

lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Whilst I realise kids can make mistakes any kid who likely has the capability, capacity and/or perseverance to get this information must have some understanding of how wrong this was. Whether they really understand the type of consequences is a different matter.

 

I don't think someone "stumbled" on this. They didn't download a hundred videos and then publish them without thinking it might be something big.


It’s weird because he did seem quite shocked by the level of response. If he’s 16 he would’ve been 7 when V released, and might genuinely not understand the fervour that surrounds the release of GTA games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JPL said:

All they really need to do for me is sort out the character handling, gun play, driving, etc, make the missions more open and free form, so you can plan your own strategies and fill the world with more incidental quests, so it feels more alive. Not much then!


I just need them to change every aspect of how it feels to play the game when you’re not actively driving a vehicle. I started playing the PS5 update for GTAO and it still feels like shit to move your character, like you’re communicating via sign language with someone holding the controller and your character is knee deep in molasses. Controlling your character in cramped areas ie building interiors is almost impossible unless you’re using First Person, and that’s not very good either.


And everything seems to require some glacially slow animation - want to use your computer in your nightclub? Ok first you have to sit down which requires a lengthy uncancellable animation, and then you need to lean forwards and tap some keys which also requires a lengthy animation.

 

4 hours ago, Broker said:

If anything, the path Rockstar has been on since GTA III is to make each successive game less free form and emergent. We’ve gone from being able to set up a road block to ruin a street race, to failing if we set foot outside of a predetermined area. You fail missions in RDR2 if you run slightly off path or punch the wrong person. 
 

I have no doubt that I’ll have fun for a few weeks exploring the world and taking in the details. But mechanically they never moved that far beyond their PS2 games and at this point I don’t expect them to. 


I have hopes for free-form gameplay but I’m quite certain I will be forced to once again play the game by staring at the minimap in case I miss the precise marker the game wants me to park my vehicle in or lie in wait to ambush someone from etc etc

 

Hopefully the free form content will be satisfied by playing free roam online with my mates

 

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

 

Same. But I do suspect the reason for that is that many missions are just fillers. There are genuinely good missions in the GTA world, but there's just too much of it. 


lol do you remember that Lester mission where you drive literally across the whole map just to look at a bank for a minute and drive back :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Broker said:


It’s weird because he did seem quite shocked by the level of response. If he’s 16 he would’ve been 7 when V released, and might genuinely not understand the fervour that surrounds the release of GTA games. 

 

If he was 7 when V came out he knows exactly how massive it was/is because all his mates will have been playing it at school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Corrogate said:

Are Rockstar still developing their games in the UK?

 

Rockstar North in Edinburgh are the lead studio for GTA but Rockstar's games are such enormous undertakings now that they need to devote the majority of their global development resources (studios in San Diego, Toronto, India, Leeds etc.) to one title at a time in order to get them out the door. I think Red Dead 2's 8 year gestation was a major factor in why GTA6 has taken so long to materialise, because a significant portion of Rockstar North were pitching in to help finish Red Dead 2 off before they could turn their full attention back to the next GTA.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Broker said:


I’d be interested to hear what kind of mechanics you’d point out that they’ve added. To me it feels like they added a lot of mechanics in San Andreas, but since then there’s been very little added. The core of shooting and driving has been improved steadily, but there’s not loads of other stuff going on and in comparison to other open world games, it feels a bit light to me, but maybe there’s stuff I’m forgetting or not focusing on.

 

 

Adding in RP would be a huge addition. 


The character switching from GTA V would probably be the most obvious one. They probably could have done more with it, but it’s still incredibly slick and there are some great moments in the single player where you switch to a character to find them involved in a car chase or shootout, which then seamlessly transitions to a mission. 
 

The heists aren’t really a mechanic, but the way it gives each player a distinctive role in this multiplayer is pretty unique. Like, the sequence where you have to infiltrate a prison, with one player disguised as a cop, another disguised as a prisoner, and the others providing backup / support in a chopper - I can’t remember playing anything else like that. You obviously get multiplayer games where each player has a specific role, but none of them have ever captured that feeling of being in a crew of criminals out to do a job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.