Jump to content
IGNORED

Turn your New 3DSXL or New 2DSXL into a fantastic emulation machine.


dumpster
 Share

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I set Luma3DS to auto-patch so it's pretty much region-free on the home screen. Not tried running a Japanese title though. 

 

Not just the odd Japanese game but the odd US one too may not run right* on a Euro machine without LLS being told what region and language the game is first. 

 

https://github.com/Possum/LumaLocaleSwitcher/releases

 

The 'nightly' is the one to install, preferably in .3dsx homebrew launcher format (to be drag 'n dropped inside the 3ds folder on the SD card so not to needlessly take up one of the 300 installed titles slots that .cia files do).

 

*In the case of Sega 3D Archives cart rips, Luma alone couldn't aid the system in handling some of the the files the installed games would generate during game play -prompting error messages when switching between in-game titles and also failing to unlock the extra hidden content. Booting LLS, selecting the three individual Sega Archives games and then selecting & saving their region and language (JPN and JPN) was the fix. I don't know how it works, but it does, so I swear by it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I've got this now and have a few games installed to keep me busy. 

 

I'm running a Japanese New 3DS LL and have to manually tell LLS the region and language to get US or EU games to load, as the auto patch thing doesn't seem to work for me, but that's not too much bother. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I've got a 3DS XL (US region) coming with a view to jailbreaking it to remove the region lock and...er...well, I really want to play all those other Sega games in 3D (got the UK one, gutted the others didn't make it over here)

 

Any recommendation for best SD card? Is there a size limit that the 3DS won't recognise? Is a micro sd card in adaptor an okay option?

 

I've scanned down these guides and things - am I right in thinking I can rip the carts I own to the SD card? How big are 3DS games on average?

 

Also wanting it really for emulators and roms to make it a bit of a one stop in my pocket...

 

(Sorry, I'm a bit useless with these things and always get the fear I'm going to break the machine....)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, luth714 said:

I've got a 3DS XL (US region) coming with a view to jailbreaking it to remove the region lock and...er...well, I really want to play all those other Sega games in 3D (got the UK one, gutted the others didn't make it over here)

 

Any recommendation for best SD card? Is there a size limit that the 3DS won't recognise? Is a micro sd card in adaptor an okay option?

 

I've scanned down these guides and things - am I right in thinking I can rip the carts I own to the SD card? How big are 3DS games on average?

 

Also wanting it really for emulators and roms to make it a bit of a one stop in my pocket...

 

(Sorry, I'm a bit useless with these things and always get the fear I'm going to break the machine....)

 

Any quality branded SD card should be fine. The official limit to SD card size is 32GB but in reality it's probably 2TB. Regardless, it needs to be formatted FAT32.

 

Personally I think 64GB should be fine for most people's unless it they plan on some serious game / ROM hoarding. I also avoid using micro SD cards sat in adaptors as it eliminates a point of failure (I've had adaptors go bad) but it's not really a big deal either way judging from other people's experiences.

 

3DS games are a bit like DS ones in terms of size - the variances are big. Eshop games can be as small as a few MB but big budget ones can be around 2GB-4GB. Kid Icarus for example - I think that one comes in at something like 1.7GB.

 

One essential homebrew tool is Godmode9, and amongst countless other things it can do it makes creating cartridge dumps trivial (3DS or DS). If you use the 3ds.hacks guide you'll be introduced to it and a guide on common usage.

 

As far as using emulators on a regular O3DS (any model without the 'New' prefix), your options aren't too vast if you want full speed performance but you do have some:

 

- Bubble2K16's four emulators which were specifically optimised for O3DS and have SNES, MD/M-CD, PC-E / CD /SuperGrafx and NES covered (Snes9XforO3DS, Picodrive, Temper3DS and VirtuaNES).

 

- Gameyob for Gameboy / GBC (use the DSi version for the most accurate audio).

 

- SCUMMVM can run a bunch of those Lucasarts point and clickers great.

 

- MAME2000 can run some simpler pre-16bit era arcade titles well on O3DS but it's generally not worth it IMO.

 

- All of Nintendo's own 'Virtual Console' options run okay on O3DS aside from SNES (which is strictly only for N3DS) but they tend to have some caveats related mainly to compatibility. The worst one is probably the PC Engine VC which was only originally used for few JPN eshop titles and was basically unfinished - avoid this one.

 

- The jewel of the crown IMO is the majestic GBA VC which is the ultimate killer feature if the GBA library is important to you.

 

All in all I'd say the original 3DS models really don't have the CPU strength to be considered great emulation machines and as such I'd stick mainly with GBA VC and some of Bubble2K16's emulators.

 

I still keep an original slate style 2DS around because it's like a super ergonomic Game Boy and wonderful for actual handheld games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Stumbled upon a concerning retweet from noted preservationist Luigiblood about why 3DS game carts seem to be prematurely dying:

 

 

Basically, the FlashROMs used in 3DS games aren't expected to last anywhere near as long as the MaskROMs found in DS carts and problems related to this are already rearing their head.

 

For anyone who hasn't dumped their cart collection yet (it's easy to do with CFW'd 3DS) it might not be a bad idea to think about doing so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All flash memory "leaks" over time and will gradually revert to being blank over a long enough time scale. I would've expected a very long time scale from whatever they chose for game cards but apparently not.

 

Didn't Nintendo say at their announcement that the original DS's game cards were flash-derived, and therefore cheaper to manufacture? I'm surprised to find out they were still just old-fashioned ROM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Is it due to the number of times it's being used, or just the materials of the ROM breaking down physically?

 

Just to follow up - it turns out that 3DS carts don't use FlashROM as a rule (some do but others use a type of EEPROM and / or 'XtraROM' like Switch carts)..and the dying 3DS carts may be doing so due to weakened solder joints between the surface mount ROM chip and the PCB rather than an accelerated loss of data.

 

Cartridges from previous generations using through-hole components can take a lot of PCB flexing before data lines start being severed, and this doesn't seem to be the case with these modern gamecards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

 

Just to follow up - it turns out that 3DS carts don't use FlashROM as a rule (some do but others use a type of EEPROM and / or 'XtraROM' like Switch carts)..and the dying 3DS carts may be doing so due to weakened solder joints between the surface mount ROM chip and the PCB rather than an accelerated loss of data.

 

Cartridges from previous generations using through-hole components can take a lot of PCB flexing before data lines start being severed, and this doesn't seem to be the case with these modern gamecards.

That's sort of good to know then, means if they a elooked after, they should last a while longer :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Is it possible to change the system language of a new 3DS LL from Japanese to English with these hacks? I know on the DSi it wasn’t possible (which was a pain as most of Sega’s games would only display Japanese even if using an American rom).
 

My SNES 3DS has been playing up recently by constantly crashing or not waking up from sleep mode and I fear its on its way out, unfortunately a lot of my library of 3DS games are digital and if it does break theres no way of me transferring my games to another system or getting it fixed without sending it to Nintendo of Europe thanks to Nintendo’s damn awful account policy back then. Also add the ludicrous jump in prices for certain games on the used market, having a hacked 3DS seems like the best option to play all of my current US and UK carts and future proof incase your system breaks down and you need to get a replacement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

How up to date is all this? I am being sent a 2DS Wedge and want to hack it. Will stick some old Nintendo stuff on it and ROMs of some DS / 3DS games*, but searches either point to n3DS systems are are apparently obsolete. 

 

*For the record, these are games I own, I just cannot be arsed changing the carts evgery time my daughter gets bored of one and wants to play another. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bradigor said:

How up to date is all this? I am being sent a 2DS Wedge and want to hack it. Will stick some old Nintendo stuff on it and ROMs of some DS / 3DS games*, but searches either point to n3DS systems are are apparently obsolete. 

 

*For the record, these are games I own, I just cannot be arsed changing the carts evgery time my daughter gets bored of one and wants to play another. 

https://3ds.hacks.guide Go here, it’s the best resource to get you going. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Can I get my modded new 3ds to play Ds games? I'm hankering for some Yoshi touch and go 

Just stick the cart in ;)

Not sure if you can put DS game files on there, but once hacked, surely you ca use a ds flash card?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Just stick the cart in ;)

Not sure if you can put DS game files on there, but once hacked, surely you ca use a ds flash card?

If you soft mod the console, there's a DS emulator that lets you fill an SD card with DS games.  See link in OP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

If you soft mod the console, there's a DS emulator that lets you fill an SD card with DS games.  See link in OP.

TwilightMenu++ is still being updated. It's a good idea to install Universal Updater on 3DS anyway as it gives you access to a ton of 3DS homebrew. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, BongoInferno said:

I've just bought a new 3DS XL and it could do with a bit of a clean. Can anyone recommend what I'd need to give it a spruce up re sprays, gels, brushes etc?

Baby wipes, and a bit of IPA if you have any, it's all I use and they come up a treat :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw this thread bumped and remembered I had a 3DSXL. I just switched it on - I'm pretty sure the first time since Jan 2017 - and it still had enough charge to play around on for ten minutes.

 

What?!

 

Anyway. Inspired to load CFW on once I've found the charger. Thanks for this thread!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/03/2022 at 15:16, Skykid said:

Anyway. Inspired to load CFW on once I've found the charger. Thanks for this thread!

 

I did this over the weekend. The instructions on the 3DS Hacks website are brilliantly comprehensive - though I didn't understand the why for most of it, even being pretty technical.

 

It's great to get reaquainted with the 3DS XL. I'd forgotten how it gives me painful clawhand, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

 

It does take 10-15 seconds to go from hitting the power button to showing the main menu screen. Is this normal? Was this how it was before I hacked it? I can't remember. It doesn't seem very Nintendo.

 

I've got SNES9x, which is excellent, and got one of my 3DS games running from card. Same with a regular DS game, though I don't think I've managed to pull my save state across. Hoping to get GBA Advance Wars on it too WHICH I OWN, of course. Any other suggestions for things to load? Anything from the Homebrew scene? I might try to get Lemmings on there too. And there appears to be a Lynx emulator..?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/03/2022 at 14:53, Skykid said:

It does take 10-15 seconds to go from hitting the power button to showing the main menu screen. Is this normal? Was this how it was before I hacked it? I can't remember. It doesn't seem very Nintendo.

 

Yes, it's normal. Particularly on the non- new 3DS when you have a lot of games. The 3DS operating system wasn't Nintendo's fastest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.