Turn your New 3DSXL or New 2DSXL into a fantastic emulation machine.

34 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I set Luma3DS to auto-patch so it's pretty much region-free on the home screen. Not tried running a Japanese title though. 

Not just the odd Japanese game but the odd US one too may not run right* on a Euro machine without LLS being told what region and language the game is first. 

https://github.com/Possum/LumaLocaleSwitcher/releases

The 'nightly' is the one to install, preferably in .3dsx homebrew launcher format (to be drag 'n dropped inside the 3ds folder on the SD card so not to needlessly take up one of the 300 installed titles slots that .cia files do).

*In the case of Sega 3D Archives cart rips, Luma alone couldn't aid the system in handling some of the the files the installed games would generate during game play -prompting error messages when switching between in-game titles and also failing to unlock the extra hidden content. Booting LLS, selecting the three individual Sega Archives games and then selecting & saving their region and language (JPN and JPN) was the fix. I don't know how it works, but it does, so I swear by it.

Well, I've got this now and have a few games installed to keep me busy. 

I'm running a Japanese New 3DS LL and have to manually tell LLS the region and language to get US or EU games to load, as the auto patch thing doesn't seem to work for me, but that's not too much bother. 

• 1 month later...

I've got a 3DS XL (US region) coming with a view to jailbreaking it to remove the region lock and...er...well, I really want to play all those other Sega games in 3D (got the UK one, gutted the others didn't make it over here)

Any recommendation for best SD card? Is there a size limit that the 3DS won't recognise? Is a micro sd card in adaptor an okay option?

I've scanned down these guides and things - am I right in thinking I can rip the carts I own to the SD card? How big are 3DS games on average?

Also wanting it really for emulators and roms to make it a bit of a one stop in my pocket...

(Sorry, I'm a bit useless with these things and always get the fear I'm going to break the machine....)

1 hour ago, luth714 said:

I've got a 3DS XL (US region) coming with a view to jailbreaking it to remove the region lock and...er...well, I really want to play all those other Sega games in 3D (got the UK one, gutted the others didn't make it over here)

Any recommendation for best SD card? Is there a size limit that the 3DS won't recognise? Is a micro sd card in adaptor an okay option?

I've scanned down these guides and things - am I right in thinking I can rip the carts I own to the SD card? How big are 3DS games on average?

Also wanting it really for emulators and roms to make it a bit of a one stop in my pocket...

(Sorry, I'm a bit useless with these things and always get the fear I'm going to break the machine....)

Any quality branded SD card should be fine. The official limit to SD card size is 32GB but in reality it's probably 2TB. Regardless, it needs to be formatted FAT32.

Personally I think 64GB should be fine for most people's unless it they plan on some serious game / ROM hoarding. I also avoid using micro SD cards sat in adaptors as it eliminates a point of failure (I've had adaptors go bad) but it's not really a big deal either way judging from other people's experiences.

3DS games are a bit like DS ones in terms of size - the variances are big. Eshop games can be as small as a few MB but big budget ones can be around 2GB-4GB. Kid Icarus for example - I think that one comes in at something like 1.7GB.

One essential homebrew tool is Godmode9, and amongst countless other things it can do it makes creating cartridge dumps trivial (3DS or DS). If you use the 3ds.hacks guide you'll be introduced to it and a guide on common usage.

As far as using emulators on a regular O3DS (any model without the 'New' prefix), your options aren't too vast if you want full speed performance but you do have some:

- Bubble2K16's four emulators which were specifically optimised for O3DS and have SNES, MD/M-CD, PC-E / CD /SuperGrafx and NES covered (Snes9XforO3DS, Picodrive, Temper3DS and VirtuaNES).

- Gameyob for Gameboy / GBC (use the DSi version for the most accurate audio).

- SCUMMVM can run a bunch of those Lucasarts point and clickers great.

- MAME2000 can run some simpler pre-16bit era arcade titles well on O3DS but it's generally not worth it IMO.

- All of Nintendo's own 'Virtual Console' options run okay on O3DS aside from SNES (which is strictly only for N3DS) but they tend to have some caveats related mainly to compatibility. The worst one is probably the PC Engine VC which was only originally used for few JPN eshop titles and was basically unfinished - avoid this one.

- The jewel of the crown IMO is the majestic GBA VC which is the ultimate killer feature if the GBA library is important to you.

All in all I'd say the original 3DS models really don't have the CPU strength to be considered great emulation machines and as such I'd stick mainly with GBA VC and some of Bubble2K16's emulators.

I still keep an original slate style 2DS around because it's like a super ergonomic Game Boy and wonderful for actual handheld games.

• 1 month later...

Stumbled upon a concerning retweet from noted preservationist Luigiblood about why 3DS game carts seem to be prematurely dying:

Basically, the FlashROMs used in 3DS games aren't expected to last anywhere near as long as the MaskROMs found in DS carts and problems related to this are already rearing their head.

For anyone who hasn't dumped their cart collection yet (it's easy to do with CFW'd 3DS) it might not be a bad idea to think about doing so.

All flash memory "leaks" over time and will gradually revert to being blank over a long enough time scale. I would've expected a very long time scale from whatever they chose for game cards but apparently not.

Didn't Nintendo say at their announcement that the original DS's game cards were flash-derived, and therefore cheaper to manufacture? I'm surprised to find out they were still just old-fashioned ROM.

17 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Is it due to the number of times it's being used, or just the materials of the ROM breaking down physically?

Just to follow up - it turns out that 3DS carts don't use FlashROM as a rule (some do but others use a type of EEPROM and / or 'XtraROM' like Switch carts)..and the dying 3DS carts may be doing so due to weakened solder joints between the surface mount ROM chip and the PCB rather than an accelerated loss of data.

Cartridges from previous generations using through-hole components can take a lot of PCB flexing before data lines start being severed, and this doesn't seem to be the case with these modern gamecards.

5 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Just to follow up - it turns out that 3DS carts don't use FlashROM as a rule (some do but others use a type of EEPROM and / or 'XtraROM' like Switch carts)..and the dying 3DS carts may be doing so due to weakened solder joints between the surface mount ROM chip and the PCB rather than an accelerated loss of data.

Cartridges from previous generations using through-hole components can take a lot of PCB flexing before data lines start being severed, and this doesn't seem to be the case with these modern gamecards.

That's sort of good to know then, means if they a elooked after, they should last a while longer :)