Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Not sure if I'm /the/ forumite, but I did that to my very great and vocal distress on here, when the game first came out ^_^

I mean, lizards like enclosed spaces, right? It made so much sense...

If they just fixed/updated the identikit bases in ME1, I will happily throw whatever money is asked of me for the remastered trilogy.

ME1 is high up on my GOAT list, with the best finale in any game I've ever played. Whilst the following games refined the combat to a superb degree (with the notable exception of adding those stupid heat sink clips as an ammunition replacement, which made fuck all sense after the first game), the sheer sense of exploration and pure SF feeling of the series diminished rapidly.

My embarrassing admission is that due to all of the talk of the ending being poor, I never actually got around to finishing ME3. I'd finished all of the story missions apart from the final mission, then started the Citadel DLC and abandoned it at the party due to choice paralysis over all of the possible endings (was the intended timing of that to be done after the game had finished?), so I'm wondering if I should go back and finish it via BC when the other two games appear on Game Pass or wait for the remastered trilogy. I also need to do an Insanity run of ME2 which will be fun considering it's been about 10 years since I've played it so I remember absolutely bugger all about it other than that final boss being total bollocks, but that's another story. 

PS All you Mako haters are wrongheads. :P 

On the basis of EA's other remasters this gen (Hot Pursuit, Burnout Paradise, Command & Conquer), I wouldn't expect them to do anything more than just boost the resolution and maybe the frame rate - the remasters were respectful and nicely done, but not transformative. They're not going to touch the game itself - while it's tempting to imagine them reworking Mass Effect so the combat is a bit more slick and dynamic, and so you don't spend 60% of each session breaking items down into omni-gel, that would be a lot of work, and I can't see them spending that amount of resource here.

I guess with the C&C remaster they did completely rework the visuals, but it would be a colossally bigger undertaking to do that for even one of the Mass Effect games, let alone all three.

18 hours ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

And KOTOR next.

KOTOR is 4k on xbox one x, its the best way to play! as you can use a pad! Its not quite 60fps all the time, but, would imagine the XsX will fix that lol

18 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

KOTOR is 4k on xbox one x, its the best way to play! as you can use a pad! Its not quite 60fps all the time, but, would imagine the XsX will fix that lol

You can mod in pad support on PC easily enough, although not as easily as just running the One X version of course.

28 minutes ago, K said:

so you don't spend 60% of each session breaking items down into omni-gel

Hark at Mr Speedrunner here, getting his omnigel breakdown down to 60%.

Seriously though, the inventory in the first game. Awful.

37 minutes ago, K said:

On the basis of EA's other remasters this gen (Hot Pursuit, Burnout Paradise, Command & Conquer), I wouldn't expect them to do anything more than just boost the resolution and maybe the frame rate - the remasters were respectful and nicely done, but not transformative. They're not going to touch the game itself - while it's tempting to imagine them reworking Mass Effect so the combat is a bit more slick and dynamic, and so you don't spend 60% of each session breaking items down into omni-gel, that would be a lot of work, and I can't see them spending that amount of resource here.

I guess with the C&C remaster they did completely rework the visuals, but it would be a colossally bigger undertaking to do that for even one of the Mass Effect games, let alone all three.

2 and 3 are much more of a piece than the darker, jankier original - especially mechanically. They're more contemporary in design and 3 is more of an iteration of 2's stablised formula; one that felt developed for console and controller, rather than 1's PC-game-clumsily-draped-over-an-Xbox vibe. I'd expect a compilation remaster would follow what's become a common approach (e.g. Mafia trilogy): an up-res on the later games and more effort by necessity on the earlier one(s).

As a sidenote, a remake of 1 in 2/3's engine is something people regularly wish for but I'd guess the aesthetic would suffer by becoming something cheerier, swisher, lighter and more in line with the later games. 

2 hours ago, df0 said:

It made no sense :lol:

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

His poor lungs!

I am extremely smart.

1 hour ago, K said:

And completely rerecorded the music and overhauled the interface as well! I mean, there's a precisely 0% chance that EA would sign off for anything close for ME given the prohibitive costs, but I really feel that Petroglyph deserve full credit for a beautiful piece of remastering - keeping the game mechanically identical (even down to [in]famous AI exploits), while transforming the experience into something much more accessible through QOL and aesthetic changes. Absolutely one of, if not the, most successful remaster I can think of.

Mentioning a soundtrack reminds me that for ME3, half of the soundtrack is lifted from the ME2 OST album. Not ME2, the actual OST album edits, so the galaxy map music has a 1-minute intro and doesn’t loop.

My lizard in the ventilation shaft was that bloody know-it-all woman dropping the shield and killing Garrus.

ME1 is still fantastic - that intro with the music, retrieving personnel records... the whole thing.

Just now, Ry said:

Wait, has this been confirmed to be in development? Or are we all speculating?

I think we're basing it on a Korean website listing to be honest, but it's been rumoured for so bloody long now it's got to be true...surely...maybe...meh.

59 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I think Mass Effect 3 is superb and absolutely none of you can stop me. 

I'm with you on that, I think it was brilliant and imparted a much better sense of impending doom than the second game.

There's no point in getting this for me, it will never take me to the same place as when I first played them. I've learnt my lesson from the Master Chief Collection. Never go back!

2 hours ago, artz said:

There's no point in getting this for me, it will never take me to the same place as when I first played them. I've learnt my lesson from the Master Chief Collection. Never go back!

The PC versions say otherwise. The games are still fucking fantastic.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

The PC versions say otherwise. The games are still fucking fantastic.

Not to me they don’t, they say “why are you playing me again, the time has passed”

I finished ME 1 earlier this year for the first time. Started ME 2 but fell off it for no real reason, was considering going back to it this week. That's when I noticed it's sitting in my 'update' queue on Xbox. 

Anyone know why there'd be an update at this stage in its life? 

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

I am extremely smart.

And completely rerecorded the music and overhauled the interface as well! I mean, there's a precisely 0% chance that EA would sign off for anything close for ME given the prohibitive costs, but I really feel that Petroglyph deserve full credit for a beautiful piece of remastering - keeping the game mechanically identical (even down to [in]famous AI exploits), while transforming the experience into something much more accessible through QOL and aesthetic changes. Absolutely one of, if not the, most successful remaster I can think of.

Don't forget hunting through archives of multiple companies for the original fmv masters, then using some sort of ai upscaling for footage where the masters are lost. 

3 is a great game for much of it, but it's inconsistent then totally shits the bed in the last hour or so. Has some of the best moments in the series before that though - the ending of Tali's arc hit me hard for example. 

This guy's videos on the series are worth a watch. 

We'll just ignore Andromeda. 

14 minutes ago, deerokus said:

We'll just ignore Andromeda. 

Don’t do that.

It’s great. It tries very hard to make you think it’s inept, but it really isn’t.

There are bits in it that are the equal to the original games.

You just have to suffer some jank, and have to play as the horniest human in the galaxy.

Just now, JoeK said:

Don’t do that.

It’s great. It tries very hard to make you think it’s inept, but it really isn’t.

There are bits in it that are the equal to the original games.

You just have to suffer some jank, and have to play as the horniest human in the galaxy.

It's incredibly boring to play. 

5 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's incredibly boring to play. 

From a purely gameplay perspective I think it’s better than the others by a fair old chunk.