Jiu Jitsu - Do you love martial arts? Do you love Predator? Do you love Nicolas Cage?

10 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I love Nicolas Cage, but I do hope he sorts his financial troubles out soon so he can get back to making good films (and don't say he hasn't been in any :coffee:). 

Mandy and Colour Out of Space were great but, yeah, mostly shite. Are we entirely sure he's still in debt? Maybe this is just how he rolls now.

3 hours ago, Quest said:

Mandy and Colour Out of Space were great but, yeah, mostly shite. Are we entirely sure he's still in debt? Maybe this is just how he rolls now.

Mom & Dad as well, he was superb in that, proper off-his-rocker Cage. 

3 hours ago, Quest said:

It is a bit difficult to tell. His choice of film roles were kind of all over the place even in his heyday. 

Distinct lack of Jiu Jitsu in that trailer. 

Looking forward to Cage having his sword fight scene against the alien ala Predators. 

It'll be shit but it's Tony Jaa & Nic Cage that'll entertain me for a good hour or so. 

Straight to VOD isn't a bad thing. 

Always puzzled when people bring up Leaving Las Vegas as an example of traditionally good/restrained Nic Cage performance. He’s just doing his usual bizarre shouty thing, which is absolutely nothing like an actual alcoholic, but was presumably one of the first times people had seen him act like that. Not dissing him by the way, I think he’s cinematic magic, but I definitely think he’s had the same shtick since long before anyone actually noticed it.

I'm looking forward to that one where he's going to be playing a version of himself, including recreating his older movies as I understand.

I can't imagine he'd still be in debt. He doesn't seem very controversial or outspoken either so it's not like Hollywood would avoid hiring him. I remember Kerraig saying all you had to do was send him the script and offer him $1M and he'd make practically anything.

On 15/10/2020 at 20:32, Thwomp said:

I love Nicolas Cage, but I do hope he sorts his financial troubles out soon so he can get back to making good films (and don't say he hasn't been in any :coffee:). 

Pretty sure he's been paid up on those for years now & he's just doing these ridiculous films for the kicks. 

The bit in the trailer where Tony Jaa jumps through the wooden door reminds me of one specific shot in Ong Bak.

There's a still, wide shot of a flat landscape with a bush in the middle of the shot and some bad guys just standing casually around. The shot gets held for a while and then without warning Tony Jaa leaps out of the bush, clobbers everyone and pegs it off the side of the screen.

It's genuinely surreal and very funny. One of the finest bits of abstract action I've ever seen, like Seijun Suzuki crossed with Monty Python.

• 1 month later...