Tell me your best Instant Pot™ recipes!

Jamie John

Ha yeh that ended up being a bit of a situation; someone mentioned copyright infringement because I posted the recipe and method. Then the author got involved too so I ended up taking the photo down, turns out I can use a photo of the book and the end result but not of the details themselves. 

One thing I've learnt so far from the book (and all Instant Pot recipes so far) though is to double the spice amounts, it tasted nice but could've had way more punch and flavour.

Had my first (semi) disaster this evening lol

Got some accessories for cooking pot-in-pot

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W98BSKL

Decided to cook Beef & Broccoli https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-beef-and-broccoli/

It's similar to the Mongolian Chicken and I thought I'd use the steamer basket and trivet to cook the broccoli and the rice at the same time as the beef.

The broccoli disintegrated and the rice didn't cook at all. Probably easier and quicker just to microwave the broccoli in future and next time actually add water to the rice instead of relying on steam from the cooking process.

Beef was excellent though lol

• 5 months later...

Finally got round to getting an instant pot, just used it for the first time to make a simple dahl https://spicecravings.com/chana-dal#recipe 

I've made a similar recipe before which requires soaking for 30 mins then boiling for 40mins while making the tadka. I was a bit put off at first as most of the instant pot recipes I was looking at still recommended pre-soaking, which is a level of planning that to me defeats the purpose of a pressure cooker. This one was very simple though. I wasn't sure how not having a separate tadka would affect the flavour but was pleasantly surprised. 

Next on the list is aubergine masala. One of the aims of buying this is to eat more vegetation/vegan meals so I'm trying to avoid the temptation of all the pork dishes I've seen looking back in this thread! 

• 8 months later...

This thread needs more love. I find myself making the same batches of stuff and the family eventually get sick of them. 

I have been making this kind of pie with the puff pastry for a while now, just not with the pressure cooker. Today I did a huge batch of the filling for freezing in the instant pot for the first time.

https://instantpoteats.com/instant-pot-chicken-pot-pie-two-ways/

I used chicken thigh meat but otherwise followed the recipe and it’s turned out very well. Recommended easy dinner. 

On 30/04/2022 at 16:35, Kingpin said:

This thread needs more love. I find myself making the same batches of stuff and the family eventually get sick of them. 

I have been making this kind of pie with the puff pastry for a while now, just not with the pressure cooker. Today I did a huge batch of the filling for freezing in the instant pot for the first time.

https://instantpoteats.com/instant-pot-chicken-pot-pie-two-ways/

I used chicken thigh meat but otherwise followed the recipe and it’s turned out very well. Recommended easy dinner. 

Cheers for this. Had leftover chicken from yesterday's roast and used it with the recipe today. Put the cooked chicken in the Instant Pot at the end instead of cooking with the veg. Turned out delicious!

And I have a few portions left over for the freezer

Spoiler

PXL_20220502_191253226.thumb.jpg.ed658d19e1c089ba64afef08f1cab13a.jpg

My favourite Instant Pot recipe at the moment is one adapted from the following though I have changed it quite a lot though:

Chickpea, tomato and spinach coconut curry

I use 120 gram of dried chickpeas that I soak for 24 hrs in place of a can

And 3 cubes of frozen spinach in place of the fresh

I also:

start by frying some mustard and cumin seeds before the onions

include some chopped mild chilli along with the ginger and garlic

replace the curry powder with turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala

I tend to use fresh small tomato chopped in half in place of the tinned tomato as well

From experience using a good coconut milk is really important, I ran out of nice Thai stuff and ended up using an aldi can one time and it tasted a lot different and no where near as nice.

• 2 months later...

https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-multicooker-cookbooks/?mbid=social_twitter&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=falcon&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter

couple of good recommendations here and managed to pick up used copies of a couple of these for only £3-4 on Amazon.

going to cheer myself up by planning autumn cooks of heavy stews and curries whilst living on stupid salads and ice pops

Got my cheapo books thru and a biryani appealed from the curry one - just cooked up and it’s great. 

Not a looker but really punches good flavour into the rice and chicken. Definitely a quick cheat biryani which while not perfect is far easier than the traditional method. Only deviation to recipe I took was no mint and a pinch of saffron on top of rice before cooking

Recipe in pic 

AD837CFF-6FAD-4180-A987-1C2D3E67EA57.thumb.jpeg.d08250c9c2923606268d65591266b4af.jpeg

now I've been sold on the concept of the 1 pot pressure cooker biryani been searching out some other recipes

this one looks good, uses powdered rather than whole spices but has more of them so could be more complex tasting.

going to try this next then consider my own merged up version of the best bits of both

https://spicecravings.com/chicken-biryani-in-instant-pot

We’ve got a Ninja Foodi, which seems to be an Instant Pot with an air fryer built in, and I’ve been trying to get away from just using it as an air fryer and more into the pressure cooking side of things.

So far I’ve kept it pretty simple - some rice pudding, which turned out really well (literally just milk, pudding rice, butter and caster sugar + optionals and pressure cook for 14 mins) and last night did a pot roast, from the Ninja cookbook: https://www.ninjakitchen.com/recipes/search/0/all/101584/pot-roast/

It was pretty good. I used a very cheap cut of beef and I think it could have done with a few more minutes in the pressure cooker - it was tender, but not melt in your mouth tender, but I suppose that’s partially down to preference.

I like the look of some of the recipes in here - will definitely be making use of Gotters’ biryani and daal recipes, I think.

I like the pressure cooker on my Sage thing (their version of the instant pot) but within certain limitations.

I think of it as like taking a pic on your phone rather than using a DLSR - its more than good enough and the convenience makes up for losing that 'best of the best' element.

It's definitely not the best daal or beef chilli but it's a whole lot less fuss/time/energy cost and if the option is no Biryani or one cobbled together in a few mins in one pot then sign me up.

I saw yesterday on my smart meter how expensive slow simmering something on a gas ring was for just an hour or so, the idea of leaving a pot of bolognese going for 3-4h is increasingly a less appealing idea, however good it tastes.

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

I like the pressure cooker on my Sage thing (their version of the instant pot) but within certain limitations.

I think of it as like taking a pic on your phone rather than using a DLSR - its more than good enough and the convenience makes up for losing that 'best of the best' element.

It's definitely not the best daal or beef chilli but it's a whole lot less fuss/time/energy cost and if the option is no Biryani or one cobbled together in a few mins in one pot then sign me up.

I saw yesterday on my smart meter how expensive slow simmering something on a gas ring was for just an hour or so, the idea of leaving a pot of bolognese going for 3-4h is increasingly a less appealing idea, however good it tastes.

Our smart meter doesn’t really work. What do you reckon the cost difference is between slow simmering gas for an hour and a pressure cooker thing to achieve the same result?

nothing that scientific, and of course depends on your tariff.

I just notice that whenever I use a gas hob now seems to jump up quite quickly (in the 10s of pence, not quids), especially with the double ring wok burner bit. 

Something which I never notice when got the pressure cooker or small counter top oven are on, but then again only have the pressure cooker on for shorter times mostly.

I imagine it probably consumes the most during the build up and then requires very little to keep it going. 

Do you reckon that biryani recipe can be doubled up without causing any issues? I’ve heard mixed things when it comes to doubling up recipes, with some people saying it just makes them go a bit wrong. 

I guess the cooking time for all the stuff if doubled at the pressure stage would be the same due to how it works, would just take a while longer to sauté it all up at the start. It's not a big recipe so in my pot a double would be easily accommodated from a capacity perspective.

Funnily enough I've got the other biryani recipe I linked sat in the fridge for tonight, a lot more going on with the spicing but mostly powdered not whole, be interesting to see which we prefer

Loving the second biryani, somehow far more integrated and complete as a dish. Followed recipe precisely especially the onions bit and layering order.

This did have some marination time, I did all the prep at lunchtime and put in fridge so could just throw in pot quickly for dinner. The book one is quicker but I’d go for this as the taste was great and really harmonious.

99C234FE-2D39-475B-AC84-E9CF00CF811B.thumb.jpeg.b7dce565ff737c11ff3a844d79314054.jpeg

Thanks for posting all the new recipes. I haven’t used the pot for ages so this is a nice reminder to give it a go again 

The wife’s been using it almost weekly making daals mainly, I’ll see if I can find a few of those recipes.

17 hours ago, Gotters said:

Loving the second biryani, somehow far more integrated and complete as a dish. Followed recipe precisely especially the onions bit and layering order.

This did have some marination time, I did all the prep at lunchtime and put in fridge so could just throw in pot quickly for dinner. The book one is quicker but I’d go for this as the taste was great and really harmonious.

99C234FE-2D39-475B-AC84-E9CF00CF811B.thumb.jpeg.b7dce565ff737c11ff3a844d79314054.jpeg

That looks like a lot of work. It is essentially a bog standard biryani but you pressure cook it to save yourself a few minutes. I feel like for me it would defeat the point of using one of these things, although I suppose not everyone just wants to chuck everything in and have it sort itself out.

Gonna give the other recipe a go today - I suspect the marination is worth doing, though and might add that into the mix. Probably the best in terms of min effort, max reward from the more involved recipe.

Yeah, it is basically a full biryani, just a bit quicker to cook and more fullproof but no caramelisation like you can get on hob.

You do end up with more washing up than the book recipe I posted, marinating bowl, rice soaking bowl & sieve. 

It’s better to my tastes but agree not shortcutting much

So I went completely off-piste:

• I used chicken breast instead of thigh
  • I used the marinade from spice cravings and marinated for 2-3 hours
  • I'm a big believer in more being more when it comes to food, so I fried pretty much all the spices in the cookbook recipe above, only really holding back on the garlic and ginger
  • I forgot to add salt before pressure cooking, but the salt in the marinade seems to have been enough

Super easy and it's absolutely delicious. I marinated a kilo of chicken and only used half of it, so will do the rest tomorrow to see how much of a difference overnight marination makes.

vJWtRBfl.jpg

On 07/08/2022 at 13:11, Gotters said:

now I've been sold on the concept of the 1 pot pressure cooker biryani been searching out some other recipes

this one looks good, uses powdered rather than whole spices but has more of them so could be more complex tasting.

going to try this next then consider my own merged up version of the best bits of both

This looks great so I'll be giving it a bash tomorrow...

I made @GottersBiryani recipe recommendation (the one linked to rather than the book one) and it was very good and very filling. 

Everything was perfectly cooked, which is quite important (first time cooking rice in the pot as we normally use a rice cooker), but we Idid find it to be perhaps a little  bland for our tastes so will  be upping the spices and herbs even further when we do it again and maybe throw a half or full scotch bonnet into the mix for a little heat too. Half a lime's worth of juice is maybe too much too as it was quite a stand out taste even with everything else in there.

It's been an age since were last b used out the instant pot though and it was good to get back into it.

I made roast lamb yesterday. Top tip if you have an air fryer (I don’t know if IPs do, but Ninja’s do), it does a much better job than the sauté function when it comes to searing the meat if you have a large and ungainly piece of meat.

I air fried it on both sides for 10 mins, chucked all my seasoning and ingredients in, pressure cooked on high for 75mins, slow released for 20 and had essentially pulled lamb consistency. Strained and reduced the remainder and got a fantastic gravy to go with it.

It was for a family picnic, so we served it in soft white baps with either gravy, garlic and onion dip or BBQ sauce and they went down an absolute storm.