Deus Ex (2000)

No love for Vampire?
I only played bloodlines much later (maybe 10 years ago) after all the fan patching, and maybe the similarities were superficial but it gave me deus ex vibes.

Deus Ex is king though. I got it at around 17 or 18 I think with a shiny new PC.
One day played it from I got up for about 14 hours. Longest I've ever played a game for in one sitting. Totally mesmerized. Very sore on finally closing it down. Played more the next day.

It's one I'm reluctant to go back to though. It can't have the same impact again and I like keeping my memories of it as it was current and new rather than an old thing.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Can anyone help with getting this running at decent resolution and full screen? I've followed this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/6910/discussions/0/1353742967806057366/

But it doesn't work. Refuses to work in full screen and just plays in a little window no matter what I try. Borderless opens at fullscreen, but is ridiculously blown up. :(

Could it be anything to do with scaling options set by your GPU software?

Deus Ex made it into Rock Paper Shotgun's "13 best RPGs to play on PC" in 2020 (here).

Also, the moment you enter HK's Wan Chai market, after all the sneaking in grey areas, is just glorious (edit: that screenshot doesn't do it justice, not sure why it is so dark).

image.thumb.png.80097ab870527080a5b7e964ac4b7ae4.png

13 hours ago, MegaTrousers said:

No love for Vampire?
I only played bloodlines much later (maybe 10 years ago) after all the fan patching, and maybe the similarities were superficial but it gave me deus ex vibes.

One of my favorite games of all time - when all fan patched up of course. I dunno, I always think of Bloodlines as an RPG and Deus Ex as an immersive sim. I never would've thought of bringing it up in this thread, but I absolutely adore that game. Was really looking forward to the sequel too, made by a bunch of the same core staff as the original, until publisher Paradox fired all those original members. If it ever appears, it will probably have been transformed into Tomb Raider with vampires to appeal to a wider audience.

This thread is making me want to play Deus Ex, Thief 2, and Bloodlines again

I tried playing Bloodlines for the first time earlier this year - it has not aged well from the perspective of someone going in with everything completely new - even the writing is nowhere near the standard of a lot of today's games. 

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

I tried playing Bloodlines for the first time earlier this year - it has not aged well from the perspective of someone going in with everything completely new - even the writing is nowhere near the standard of a lot of today's games. 

Maybe it would have been different for you if you'd played it slightly earlier. I played it around 2009 iirc with fan patches and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Even with the weaker last third, it's one of those extremely rare games I keep coming back to regularly and find myself as engrossed as ever. It helps that each playstyle is a vastly different experience. Playing as a crazy vampire means you can have a conversation with a lamppost for example. Playing as a Nosferatu means you have to stick to the sewers and can't be seen by humans.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Maybe it would have been different for you if you'd played it slightly earlier. I played it around 2009 iirc with fan patches and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Even with the weaker last third, it's one of those extremely rare games I keep coming back to regularly and find myself as engrossed as ever. It helps that each playstyle is a vastly different experience. Playing as a crazy vampire means you can have a conversation with a lamppost for example. Playing as a Nosferatu means you have to stick to the sewers and can't be seen by humans.

Yeah, perhaps. I was enjoying a fair bit of it, but I completely lost interest in the game - can't remember why. 

Back on topic. I got Deus Ex playable by going back to the original .exe file and using 1360 x 768 resolution. But ... the pad controls are terrible, and I am not going back to M+KB (I can't stand that system), and the brightness is super dark, changing the brightness slider does nothing. I little reading says there are fixed, but nah, I've a had a titful fucking about with this. If re-make like Mafia 1 happens, I'm all over it, but I'll keep my memories of this game as they are, just memories. 

It's definitely a game that deserves a remake. Arguably it's one of the most deserving games. In gameplay design and structure terms it hasn't aged a bit, it's just the party like it's 1999 visuals and presentation that lets it down for modern audiences. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Shadow of the Colossus remake by Bluepoint - the same game but better visuals. And add some proper controller support. I'd be all over it

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Where would I find that setting?

I’m not sure about nVidia, but there’s scaling settings in the AMD software, where you can change stuff such as keeping the original aspect ratio and also pixel perfect scaling, where a lower resolution would only take up percentage of the screen. On a 1920x1080 screen, 1024x768 would be quite small. 

Might not be the cause of your issue, but maybe worth having a look?

It's in the Nvidia control panel tab 'adjust desktop size and position'.

Also try looking in the executable properties > compatibility > change high DP settings > set it to override and have the application perform scaling if you don't have any luck.

Re: Deus Ex played on mouse and keyboard, it's definitely not a game geared towards joypad control - aside from leaning being crucial; plenty of cursor and typing action when hacking/accessing systems; the simple problem is that the standard PC joypads of the era looked like this, so it really wasn't built with them in mind:

41FG38V0PKL.jpg.9d3c5bd2104dc22773ded8d042037b30.jpg

1 hour ago, Chthonic Boom said:

I think my favourite moment came when dicking around on the first level. You start on the pier at Liberty Island, and as soon as you begin your brother Paul runs up the pier to give you your briefing, and to suggest that maybe murdering everyone on the level wouldn't be such a great idea. It turns out that it's possible to jump off into the water before he reaches you, and to swim around and pop up a ladder behind him. You can get into the main level space with him racing after you, and at this point if one of the enemies attacks you, Paul will leap to your defence. This fight will attract attention from other enemies, starting more fights, which attracts more attention, and so on. I managed to hide in a supply crate while Paul systematically wiped out the entire NSF presence outside the statue. The icing on the cake came at the end of the mission, when Paul chewed me out for all the unnecessary carnage. Come on dude!

Wow. It truly is the best.

Like many here, Deus Ex was a defining moment in games for me. My parents had bought our first family computer, and got the best possible, so when it released a couple years later I was ready. A friend at school spent 3 days convincing me to buy it (I was all about consoles back then), and after I did, it changed how I viewed games. I've spent the years since trying to find other games that recreate that same qualia of sensation.

I've replayed it a few times over the years and for me it's aged superbly. Each time I replay I try something radically different and am surprised at how robust the system is.

For those desperately craving similar, the closest I've found is System Shock 2. I might even like SS2 a bit more than DE. Although I played the first two Thief games, I didn't like them massively (too difficult, too few gameplay options). I've not played Dishonoured.

STALKER is another game that felt very Deus Ex for me. Not in terms of stealth, but the inventory layout, and the anomalies you could collect felt a bit like the nano-augmentations, giving you special abilities.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy look, feels, and plays a lot like Deus Ex. Stealth, augments, RPG mechanics, plus sorcery, werewolves, and samurai! Heavy influence from the original Syndicate and a Shadowrun too.

Neuro Hunter looks like Deus Ex a lot, like a cheap and nasty copy, and it plays like it too.

Here's a list of games I have played in the hope of again feeling that magic (some came close, others not so much):

Spoiler

Boiling Point

Brigand: Oaxaca

Brigand: Panama

EYE: Divine Cybermancy

Jurassic Park - Trespasser

Neuro Hunter

Precursors

Sabotain

STALKER: Call of Pripyat

STALKER: Clear Sky

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

System Shock

System Shock 2

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

Xenus II: White Gold

I played through this again a couple of years back and still loved it. I'd no idea there was an AI mod - that's tempting, as this is the main area where I'd say it's dated. In so many respects it's still completely amazing.

I picked up Mankind Divided the other week but couldn't get on with it. I spent the whole time thinking how it didn't compare to the original.

I caved and decided to just play with M&KB, I was still having issues with brightness though so went back to looking for mods and fixes, found a proper fix for resolution, brightness, and better textures. The new textures aren't amazing, but the game now looks 'right'. I've forgotten most of this game, though I do kinda remember how it ends.

Sad to say, but I'm not enjoying replaying it. I got to the part where I got captured and was back at Unatco, but I'm finding the gameplay to be absolutely terrible. I'm playing on easy and am finding it difficult because headshots don't kill enemies. They're good ol' fashioned bullet sponges, meanwhile the stealth gameplay is ... lol. This game really is of its age in a lot of ways. :(

edit: The saddest part? All I keep thinking when playing is, "I'd rather play Human Revolution". :mellow:

Members of RLLMUK, I propose an intervention for Thor, regarding his Deus Ex difficulties.

(And by intervention I mean kidnapping, and then re-education Soviet style with intravenous drugs and strobing VR hypnosis goggles.)

Not sure what to say... The sniper rifle always took out enemies with headshots. And for non-lethal stealth takedowns that electric stun rod did it one go. I once did almost an entire game using that - on the organic enemies anyway.

I never liked Human Revolution because there was a ridiculous bit where an entire city was split into two via an air duct in an alley. It made zero sense. Did people commute to work by all shuffling through that air duct? I know it was to mask loading times, but it was ridiculous. Also the bombs don't work correctly. If you're not looking at them, they do no damage. Which utterly borked my attempt to take down the first big facility. I hid some bombs, set them off, no one died! Then I experimented and...

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Members of RLLMUK, I propose an intervention for Thor, regarding his Deus Ex difficulties.

(And by intervention I mean kidnapping, and then re-education Soviet style with intravenous drugs and strobing VR hypnosis goggles.)

Not sure what to say... The sniper rifle always took out enemies with headshots. And for non-lethal stealth takedowns that electric stun rod did it one go. I once did almost an entire game using that - on the organic enemies anyway.

:lol:

Stun rod only does enemies in one go if you're standing directly behind them and super close - if you're at an angle or any distance other than Denton's face right in the enemy's arse for a rimjob it just stuns the enemy, and you have to hit them again with it, sometimes twice, before they go down.  I don't have a silencer for the sniper rifle, have I missed that somewhere?

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Sad to say, but I'm not enjoying replaying it. I got to the part where I got captured and was back at Unatco, but I'm finding the gameplay to be absolutely terrible. I'm playing on easy and am finding it difficult because headshots don't kill enemies. They're good ol' fashioned bullet sponges, meanwhile the stealth gameplay is ... lol. This game really is of its age in a lot of ways. :(

edit: The saddest part? All I keep thinking when playing is, "I'd rather play Human Revolution". :mellow:

You should try Dishonored 2 - it takes the Deus Ex "choose your own playstyle and improvise freely in a sandbox environment" formula and puts its own spin on it, but is more approachable for modern audiences. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You should try Dishonored 2 - it takes the Deus Ex "choose your own playstyle and improvise freely in a sandbox environment" formula and puts its own spin on it, but is more approachable for modern audiences. 

I have, I didn't get on with it. It did not hold my interest, and the steampunk setting is not to my taste anyway. I did finish Dishonored 1, but it's one of the very few "one-and-done" games for me.

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have, I didn't get on with it. It did not hold my interest, and the steampunk setting is not to my taste anyway. I did finish Dishonored 1, but it's one of the very few "one-and-done" games for me.

Tried Prey 2017? More System Shock 2 than Deus Excellent but the same immersive sim type game giving the same satisfaction. Prey stays way more true to System Shock 2, than Human Revolution did to original Deus Ex. Scientifically speaking, taking what you said about your tastes, it should be right up your alley.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Tried Prey 2017?

Of course, what do you take me for, some kind of savage? ;)

Loved Prey, also loved the ending. Bloody fantastic game.