Ever got into a console you skipped at the time?

I've been bowled over by my purchase of a second hand 3DS.  I think I've owned every console ever made at one time or another but I sold on my original 3DS quickly because I didn't get on with the screen.  Buying a "new 3DS" XL model this week has been an eye opener because you can pick up the games for next to nothing, I paid £60 for the console with some games preinstalled, picked up some titles from the local indie for less than a tenner each.  But the big revelation has been the sheer volume of top quality games I hadn't been aware of because I didn't pay any attention at the time. I kind of thought the 3DS was a regular DS with a gimmick screen, but I realise I have missed out on a whole generation of really high quality titles.  There's a hell of a lot more great games for the 3DS than I realised.

Mario 3D Land, Pilotwings Resort, Metroid Samus Returns... Fantastic stuff, it feels like a current gen handheld in many ways.  I even find myself liking the 3D screen now I'm getting used to it. 

It's interesting to come to a format fresh now it's no longer manufactured and go to your local indie to pick up loads of old second hand games for very little outlay. I now have hours of new stuff to do in lockdown and paid out about £100 quid tops. 

So, have you ever visited an old console for the first time years later that you didn't follow at the time? 

**** Obligatory Dreamcast post. ****

When the Dreamcast got unceremoniously canned by Sega and the console itself was being flogged for like £50, you could pick up some amazing titles for a fiver each. I think I picked up 20+ titles or so in a few short weeks, everything from Shenmue 1&2, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, MSR, Rez, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Power stone, Rez, Bangai-O and the absolutely seminal (for me and many others) Phantasy Star Online - the first online game I ever played and frankly and rarely surpassed TO THIS DAY.

I honestly don't think it will ever happen again.

Oh, and I just thought of the reverse situation.

Getting an Atari 2600 when everyone else was getting a C64, Spectrum, or god forbid, an NES.

I hate Centipede to this day because of that. My main memory of that console is bitter disappointment and the smell of a console or power adapter which was on the verge of going on fire.

I picked up a WiiU back around April and absolutely love it.  8 games:  BOTW, wind waker, super mario 3d world, bayonetta 2, splatoon, MK8, Pikmin 3 and paper mario are keeping me going and are all superb, cheap to get and cost far less that a switch that I couldn't buy at the time.  

I too paid no attention to it when it came out and ab glad I did to a certain extent as it's brought some good old fashioned fun back into playing games. 

I've had a PS4 sitting here since before Persona 5 came out, I didn't play a game through to completion until a month or so back, when I ran through all 3 remastered Uncharted games on it, having hardly ever played anything on Ps3 either !!

I'm now playing Persona 5 at last, and once that is done, I am looking forward to seeing what else I have missed from this current gen, Spiderman, God of War, more than 20 mins of OZD, there are a tonne of Sony games I'v just ignored for years, mostly as I was just too invested in Xbox' ecosystem, and now is the time to grab a shit load of games as everyone dumps them to upgrade their systems.

I entered the 6th gen via the Dreamcast and Xbox, and I didn’t get around to the PS2 until much later, so just imagine how many things I missed out on at the time - Ico, FFXIIGod Hand, Gitaroo Man, Frequency, Amplitude, SotC... (I think I had the console by the time Persona 3 was a thing, but I didn’t actually end up trying that game until around 2008...)

Xbox One. I was a happy X360 owner last gen and was a bitt muffed when I saw all my gaming friends going over tomthe PS4 this gen but the PS4 turned out to run circles around the One in terms of exclusives.

I inhereted a One when one of my kids got a gaming PC but I really couldn’t get into it. That’s until quite recently when I decided to try Game Pass Ultimate out and found lots of interesting games I’d missed. Not counting Genshin Impact, the Xbox One is the only console I’ve played for weeks now and I’m currently planning on getting a Series S or X next month and rather wait until mid gen before getting a PS5.

I bought an N64 second hand at the absolute tail end of it's life and then spent the next year playing little other then Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Conkers Bad Fur Day. I maintain that Perfect Dark was the most ambitious game ever released relative to the console it was released on. The Counter-Op option kept me and friends busy for many an evening. Looking back I can't believe how we struggled through the horrific frame rate, but you just push through it when you're having fun.

Side note, why did Nintendo never replace Rare with a similarly competent, action orientated studio? It's such an obvious gap in their first party output. Why they haven't bought Platinum yet, I have no idea.

Xbox360 would probably count.

I was a PlayStation kinda guy from the PS1 days, through PS2 (which was pretty much my only console of that gen, other than a short dalliance with a Dreamcast*) and into the PS3. This was mostly driven (pun intended) by the one exclusive I was mad about - Gran Turismo. I didn't even consider the 360, really, I had everything I needed in Sony's box. 

I think it was actually after the Xbone launched, though it might have been a little bit before, that I bought a modded 360 off someone on here and suddenly realised I'd backed the wrong box. Better front end (subjective, I know), much better controller (I will accept no arguments on this), all those XBLA games and, most importantly - the Forza series. I now own four of them, in various states of workingness, an arcade stick, two wheels and a fight pad. And a fairly decent Forza game collection.

I haven't bothered with anything but the Xbone this gen, I only really have one console per gen. I imagine I'll pick up the PS4 at some point. Can't see me getting a Switch, I haven't really spent any time worth talking about with a Nintendo console since the SNES.

* this could be another example - I got a modded OG Xbox late in it's life / into the next generation. Played it a bit, but not a lot. 

7 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Xbox360 would probably count.

I was a PlayStation kinda guy from the PS1 days, through PS2 (which was pretty much my only console of that gen, other than a short dalliance with a Dreamcast*) and into the PS3. This was mostly driven (pun intended) by the one exclusive I was mad about - Gran Turismo. I didn't even consider the 360, really, I had everything I needed in Sony's box. 

I think it was actually after the Xbone launched, though it might have been a little bit before, that I bought a modded 360 off someone on here and suddenly realised I'd backed the wrong box. Better front end (subjective, I know), much better controller (I will accept no arguments on this), all those XBLA games and, most importantly - the Forza series. I now own four of them, in various states of workingness, an arcade stick, two wheels and a fight pad. And a fairly decent Forza game collection.

I haven't bothered with anything but the Xbone this gen, I only really have one console per gen. I imagine I'll pick up the PS4 at some point. Can't see me getting a Switch, I haven't really spent any time worth talking about with a Nintendo console since the SNES.

* this could be another example - I got a modded OG Xbox late in it's life / into the next generation. Played it a bit, but not a lot. 

you forget that at the time it was exciting waiting to see what games would be released week by week and every game had a demo. 

was a great time. 

34 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I bought an N64 second hand at the absolute tail end of it's life and then spent the next year playing little other then Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Conkers Bad Fur Day. I maintain that Perfect Dark was the most ambitious game ever released relative to the console it was released on. The Counter-Op option kept me and friends busy for many an evening. Looking back I can't believe how we struggled through the horrific frame rate, but you just push through it when you're having fun.

I did the same, actually. Had an N64 for Mario 64, got rid of it halfway through the console's lifespan (most likely because I heavily started playing PS1 RPGs and wanted the money to chip the console as a kid), only to pick up a second hand console for something ludicrous (40 quid with a copy of F-Zero X? I can't bloody remember) just in time for Perfect Dark and some bogged second-hand expansion pak shortly after.

I do recall getting a second hand Mega Drive after spending all of the 16-bit era on a SNES. For all the joy the OG Mario Kart, Super Probotector and LttP brought, getting a chance to play Sonic 2 and Road Rash 2 was pretty bangers tbh.

PS3. Picked one up the summer of 2013 with Killzone 2/3, The Uncharted Trilogy and Yakuza 3- this is when Game were selling off Slim consoles for about £79.99 IIRC.

Controller aside which i've never liked, I was actually really taken aback with the graphical quality of those first party games - Microsoft had shit the bed in terms of exclusives at this point in the 360 lifespan so having a bundle of super cheap blockbuster software was really appealing. The Last of Us came out a few weeks later and having not followed its development it was like a lightning bolt of excellence, straight in the all time top 10. Really played the shit out of that console in the 6 month run up to the PS4.

PS3 for me too. I've bought most consoles either day 1 or around a year after release but for whatever reason didn't get a PS3 until around 2013/14. I remember it was £75.

Had an absolute blast playing Demon's Souls, the Nathan Drake Trilogy, Farcry 2, Journey, Fez and Skyrim.

They all cost peanuts, of course.

I bought both a PS3 and PS4 really late into the life cycle. Played the 5 or so exclusives i fancied on each console and sold them a month later. 

Saturn. I'm not sure what year it was, but Gamestation were selling them off for something like £30 - early 2000s, and PAL games were dirt cheap. I was really getting into shmups post-Ikaruga, and I knew I could easily mod it. That was fine for a while but I recall it was stuck at 50hz so I eventually got a Japanese model and started importing the games (so I didn't really benefit from late-cycle prices!). I really only played shmups and Sega Rally on it, and didn't bother with anything else, or anything that was also on Playstation, but for that particular crop of games it was a stellar machine.

I didn't get the PS3 till late 2011 so I missed out on the first 4 or 5 years or so but I think it was a good time because by this point a lot of content had become available and lots more was coming out. It was still during the lifetime of the system itself so I wouldn't really use that as a proper example in response to this thread. 

A few I can think of have also been discussed on here. Back in 2010 or so I think it was I ended up being given a Dreamcast by a mate and I just went down the swap disc method of trying stuff out. It really was a decent console and loved Code Veronica and Shadowman which doesn't get mentioned too often. Silver was another nice little action RPG I thought was great as well as EGG. Bangai-O, Cannon Spike, Street Fighter Third Strike. There are still others I wouldn't have minded playing but after lending it to another mate who had it for the most part of a year or so, he failed to tell me that it had stopped working until I asked for it back. 

The last thing I got right at the end of its sell by date was the New 3DS XL and that was a brilliant move because of how individually unique it is. 

Gamecube was mine. I got a PS2 early-ish that generation and was planning to pick up a Gamecube second. However, that abruptly changed when myself and a friend played 20 minutes of Halo on the original Xbox on one of those Electronics Boutique demo pod things. The second we both got in the Warthog and tore up the place, it instantly bumped the Cube down the pecking order because I absolutely needed to own a copy of Halo after that. I didn't even care what else was on the Xbox, that's how much it blew me away.

I got to the Cube right at the end of its life and scooped up most of the classics on there. Resident Evil 4 has been released and re-released everywhere now, but for me I will always consider it a Gamecube game because that's where I played through it using one of the most gloriously ergonomic controllers of all time. Other than that it was what you'd expect. Windwaker, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Pikmin, all the Nintendo goodness I had denied myself because Halo knocked my socks off.

Having been a Poor Student at the time of the N64/Saturn/Playstation/Dreamcast I really got into the N64 and Dreamcast once I got a job after uni. I'd also been a Mega Drive person, so getting hold of a SNES in 2001-ish was still pretty exciting for me too. 2000-2005 was spent doing a lot of catching up :)

The only one I can think of is the SNES. It wasn’t until the N64 was coming out, I swapped my Saturn for my mate’s SNES for a couple of weeks and really got into Mario Allstars, SMWorld and, of all the games, Stunt Race FX (Yes I’d spent countless hours playing 3DO Need for Speed and Saturn Sega Rally and still fell in love with this quirky little racer).
It was the first time I’d really spent time with a Nintendo console and I loved it. 
Unfortunately ownership wouldn’t come for a few more years due to the N64, PlayStation, Dreamcast and a gaming PC all taking turns as my go-to platform. I eventually picked up a boxed SF2 Turbo edition SNES in Cash Generator for £8 in 2003. By that time I’d met my wife-to-be and she was a huge NES fan, so we played the hell out of Allstars. 

As time went on though, the SNES just didn’t do it for me like Sega’s consoles, so these days I’ve only got a SNES mini which is pretty much only used when we’re away in the motor home, and of course there’s the SNES stuff on the Switch.