Supraland - 3D Action Puzzler - Now on Game Pass

Do you like physics puzzles, secrets and platforming? Then you should play Supraland!

It’s out on all formats and is wonderful.

It’s also out on Game Pass (Xbox, not PC, unfortunately).

I’ve just got the McGuffin from the Crystal Tower and have been incredibly impressed by what I’ve seen so far.

I

Cracked this morning, as I really enjoyed my hour or so with it last night. Restarted and have really enjoyed how it open up. Just...

Spoiler

Got the macguffin from under the crystal. A brilliant bit of puzzle platforming. Assuming it becomes a lot more useful after some power ups as it feels pretty useless at the start  

It all feel so wonderfully put together - blows my mind this was originally the work of one person. 

Runs fine on my One X as well (although I am maybe not as sensitive to framerate issues as others).

I played a bit more this afternoon (after getting some housework done) and managed to get a bit further.

Spoiler

One puzzle involves key cards, which are all white but you need a red one to progress. I then remembered there was a machine that coloured objects (using like for like coloured items as fuel) in a previous section so I took the key card, made it red, and voila!

The associated achievement popped and made me laugh with its "yeah, thats how electronics work of course" snarky humour.

This nails that thing where you think you must be missing something as you can't make progress anywhere, then feel like a genius when you solve a puzzle that you gave up on ages earlier 

Brilliant game so far. Seems big for an indie too, only 17% with 3.5 hours down. 

I thought I'd hate this based on a preview video I half watched but gave it ago based on the Gamepass thread. Was pleased to find it was nothing like I expected.

Only thing I don't really like is the combat which I find a bit clunky. Which means I'm not particularly enjoying the bit I just got to.

It handles hints fairly well too and you can just avoid talking to people if you don't want to be helped. One reminder made me laugh

Spoiler

90% of people forgot you can block doors with force cube by this point

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Runs fine on my One X as well (although I am maybe not as sensitive to framerate issues as others).

I played a bit more this afternoon (after getting some housework done) and managed to get a bit further.

Hide contents

One puzzle involves key cards, which are all white but you need a red one to progress. I then remembered there was a machine that coloured objects (using like for like coloured items as fuel) in a previous section so I took the key card, made it red, and voila!

The associated achievement popped and made me laugh with its "yeah, thats how electronics work of course" snarky humour.

Just done that bit too. Now completely stuck again. 

Spoiler

Loved the puzzle where you had to make a halo for the character outside the church :)

8 minutes ago, spanx said:

Just done that bit too. Now completely stuck again. 

Hide contents

Loved the puzzle where you had to make a halo for the character outside the church :)

Yep, that was great

Spoiler

Took me ages to work out that you could shoot the crystal out of the lamps to get the yellow needed for the halo. I even tried red and white initially just in case.

For those struggling with the frame rate (which is obviously a subjective thing), the game is quite customisable. I found knocking the field of view down to 80, increasing the motion blur and upping the horizontal sensitivity made for a much more pleasing experience. YMMV of course. 

The default FoV was 120, that seemed really high for a TV (maybe more suited to a monitor where you’re sitting closer) and gave a distinct fish eye effect to everything. 80 made it look more like a normal game. 

Either way, I’m done with this I think, I’ve got plenty of games to play and none of the others make me ill!

My daughter was having a lovely time with this. Probably her first first person game.  She had a proper look of delight as she went through the opening bit, looking around at stuff and interacting with things.

Soon as she left the village she was attacked and brutally killed by a skeleton and turned the game off in disgust. "Why did they put that in the game?". Why indeed. <_<

Well this is fucking brilliant but having played a couple of hours, I too feel proper sick. 

I don’t suffer from motion sickness and don’t even get sick in VR so something is amiss here. 

It’s such a shame as it’s put me off playing it again but I really want too. 

37 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

Well this is fucking brilliant but having played a couple of hours, I too feel proper sick. 

I don’t suffer from motion sickness and don’t even get sick in VR so something is amiss here. 

It’s such a shame as it’s put me off playing it again but I really want too. 

Turn the FOV down?

I'm not enjoying it as much as some. It's entertaining enough but little things are annoying me.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Turn the FOV down?

I'm not enjoying it as much as some. It's entertaining enough but little things are annoying me.

Will Give this a try thanks Moosey. 

Had a quick Google and it seems quite a common complaint for this game. Someone also mentioned turning off motion blur so I’ll try that also as I really don’t want to quit. 

Don't post much on here but just had to agree with how brilliant this game is. It has something special about it that makes you feel like a genius when you solve something or discover a secret area. The game world is also wonderfully put together. 

The frame rate thing is weird. It feels jarring to me at first but my brain seems to adjust and its fine after a couple of mins 

I think I’ll have to hold off and see if this runs better on the series x as there’s something about the framerate or FOV that’s making me mildly motion sick. Never had this before in a game so can’t figure out what is causing it precisely