The Queen's Gambit - Netflix new mini series (it's excellent!)

It's about an 8 year old orphan girl, who learns to play chess, and of course, she's gifted...Sounds pretty standard and boring right? 

NO. I've not quite finished it yet, but it's honestly, bloody brilliant. I won't say anymore to not spoil anything, as I went in dry too.

Just go watch it. NOW! 

Just started it a few hours ago and about 5 episodes in now. I didn't know much about it apart from a 100% rating on RT. 

It's damn good. 

• IcEBuRN changed the title to The Queen's Gambit - Netflix new mini series (it's excellent!)

Have one episode left, feel it's lost its steam the last couple episodes and there's a fair bit of padding. Still great though. Looking forward to finishing it tonight

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that, even got a bit teary eyed towards the end.

That reviewer who gave Chernobyl three stars out of five in The Graun also gave this three stars, so you know it must be good.

It's so refreshing also to just watch a series that arrives as a fully formed adaptation, and doesn't try to morph into an excuse to shart out multiple, increasingly pointless wheel spinning seasons. (The Man in the High Castle, The Handmaid's Tale, etc etc)

I'm to episodes in but finding this a bit drab. I really got into chess during lockdown so this should really appeal, but finding it quite dull and joyless. Does it pick up energy?

I've watched two episodes of this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't buy for a second she was a young teenager in the second episode and I feel like the plot isn't likely to go anywhere unexpected but it's just so likeable and well performed and stylish.

Just finished episode 5. 

Gutted there's only two left but glad it's not dragging on. 

It's one of the coolest looking series I've seen. 

It's so good. 

Imaging a sequel about Street Fighter players. 

9 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

This is so incredible to look at. The lighting is amazing. 

Halfway through the last episode. 

The lighting is awesome, really enjoying this so far. 

This is just spectacular in every way. It’s superbly written and structured, with incredible performances, beautiful sets and lighting, incredible costume work and a magnificent blend between the different elements of the story. I don’t know enough superlatives to describe it.

What’s really, genuinely brilliant is how nothing outstays it’s welcome and everything is so tightly integrated into other elements. The chess works as a metaphor for all the things she’s struggling with, and as a literal plot point so superbly. All of the characters feel like real, believable people and there’s nothing that feels out of place, or superfluous. I genuinely think it’s the best thing I’ve watched on Netflix, and it might well be the best limited series I’ve ever seen. I’m putting it on my list of the best TV shows I’ve ever watched immediately, although it felt more like a film. 

Staggeringly good. 

On 29/10/2020 at 17:24, SpagMasterSwift said:

I've only watched three episodes so far but it's one of the best of the year for me - what a lovely surprise of a show. 

It seems to be getting a lot more press and fanfare in the US (based on the amount of reviews I can find) which is a shame.

As good as this is...and it’s really really good...it makes me feel like a bit of a creep. 

I think I’m in love with Beth Harmon and I’m easily old enough to be the actresses dad and not a particularly young dad either.