What was the last game you couldn't stop playing?

I'm going through a bit of a fallow period when it comes to games at the moment, not because I haven't got any to play, but rather because there doesn't seem to be much that's holding my interest for longer than an hour before I start getting bored. The last game I played which I found entirely absorbing was The Last of Us Part 2, back in April, but since then, though I've played and completed some great games, there hasn't been anything that's completely caused time to evaporate for me - a game that you sit down to play of an evening and when you next check your watch it's 2am all of a sudden. Maybe it's an end of gen thing but I haven't had one of those in a while.

What about you? What have you found recently that's been entirely compelling?

Watch Dogs 2. I played it when it came out and kinda bounced off it, but thought I'd give it another go in the run up to the third game.

Completely had me hooked. I decided straight away that I wanted to play pacifist and was amazed by the freedom the game gave in allowing this. I was also completely taken in by the plot and the world. Maybe 2020's isolation allowed me to appreciate this bustling, beautiful San Francisco more, I dunno. All I do know is that I couldn't stop playing. It's a sensational open world game.

Still not sure I can stomach Post Brexit London, but man, San Fran was a blast.

Because of my frankly naive belief that nVidia would - shock - release a product that I might have been able to get hold of near to its release, and - again rather stupidly - selling off my consoles in anticipation for the new machines (once again missing out because I'm a bit old and slow on the uptake) I have not played a game in a month or two now.

Like you though, I think the last game I played was LoU2 and I very much enjoyed it (well, 'enjoy' is probably not the word really - absorbed is more appropriate I think), and aside from that, the life of an outlaw in RDR2 had kept me going throughout most of this year too.

I'm kind of ready to get back into it though...it's upsetting that no-one wants my money, or at least no-one wants to trade my money for exciting hi-tech fun stuff. 

Civilization VI

Hadn’t played a Civ since Civ4 about 15 years ago but recently picked up the latest instalment on Switch when it was on sale.

No-one’s seen me since.

Prior to that it was definitely The Last of Us Part II. The single most absorbing and immersive experience I’ve ever had when playing a game. It utterly gripped me from beginning to end and the week I played it I don’t think I went to bed before 3am as I completely lost track of time night after night.

Probably my Final Fantasy VI playthrough earlier this month - whenever I had a spare moment I'd load my save and try and improve my progress a little. It was my first time completing the game, and the rest of my gaming schedule was pretty barren, so I'd just sink into more battling and levelling and shopping. Even if I'd barely made any story progress I knew that I'd be better prepared next time, so it was all worthwhile. It can be pretty cruel in places - some amazing items (Economizers) have very low drop rates, and you can run into trouble later if you don't keep everyone equally levelled up - but there were enough different things to pursue that I kept coming back.

Honourable mention to Persona 4 Golden's Steam release, which I kept returning to until the credits had rolled.

1 minute ago, Qazimod said:

Probably my Final Fantasy VI playthrough earlier this month - whenever I had a spare moment I'd load my save and try and improve my progress a little. It was my first time completing the game, and the rest of my gaming schedule was pretty barren, so I'd just sink into more battling and levelling and shopping. Even if I'd barely made any story progress I knew that I'd be better prepared next time, so it was all worthwhile. It can be pretty cruel in places - some amazing items (Economizers) have very low drop rates, and you can run into trouble later if you don't keep everyone equally levelled up - but there were enough different things to pursue that I kept coming back.

Honourable mention to Persona 4 Golden's Steam release, which I kept returning to until the credits had rolled.

What did you play it on? Vita? Despite getting very near the end when I played the GBA port, I've never finished VI. I'm hoping it gets the remastered FF treatment at some point with the ability to turn off random battles and speed up time when things are getting a bit repetitive. Hopefully we'll see it on Switch eventually.

I was incredibly driven to play Shin Megami Tensei IV as much as my crippled hands could muster at the time.

At least this year, I also couldn't stop playing VA11 Hall-A and Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma. The former because it was such a cozy game that I wanted to enjoy it as much as possible, and the latter was because I was so blown away by Virtue's Last Reward that I had to know how it all ended - quite literally installing the game as soon as I closed Nonary Games on Steam!

The Last Of Us Part 2 for me too. I played the TLOU part 1, and Days Gone in quick succession at the beginning of lock down (right before it) and everything has been diminishing returns ever since. 

Gamespass just makes me flip from game to game and never finish anything which doesn’t help....

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

What did you play it on? Vita? Despite getting very near the end when I played the GBA port, I've never finished VI. I'm hoping it gets the remastered FF treatment at some point with the ability to turn off random battles and speed up time when things are getting a bit repetitive. Hopefully we'll see it on Switch eventually.

I picked up an RS-97 handheld earlier this year so I stuck the ROM on that (I have a SNES Classic Mini too so technically I've "bought" it in the past? :P )

I know that mobile phone ports exist, but I'd totally be down for an updated version on modern platforms with little bits of QoL polish (or just kinder drop rates for things...)

Hades

Total crack and gets better the more you play. Beating bosses for the first time and finally escaping is such a rush, but there is so much more after you’ve beaten it. It’s my GOTY.

Also on a post TLOU2 slump. Tried Witcher 3 for a second time. Just got really boring after a while and I stopped at almost the same point as first time. Tried Spelunky 2. I don't get it at all. Gone back to Nex Machina which I'm massively into again - it's definitely a go to game when I'm not feeling big epic campaigns etc. Picked up Hades so hoping that fits the bill. 

TLOU2 is a hard act to follow for sure. 

Tetris on the Gameboy. Again. Only got it out to test the Gameboy out.

Still the best version IMHO. And yes that includes Tetris 100 (which I played a fair bit when I had a switch). Just like the purity of the single player game. 

I've played nearly 700 hours of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and have played every day since release on 20th March.

Before that I played over 200 hours of Slay the Spire on Switch and prior to that something like 350 hours of Monster Hunter World.

Every one and none of them. Short-term hyperfocus courtesy of ADHD is a fun time.

That said, the most recent games which have managed to hold my attention beyond the initial burst have been Hades and Paradise Killer; the former for its satisfying gameplay loop and enjoyable characters, the latter for its refreshingly open-ended engagement of critical faculties (combined with its intriguingly bizarre setting and story).

Just "finished" Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate after ~110 hours of playing nothing else, but if I start mucking around with other weapons that could easily turn into a few hundred more.

I don't think I like the hyper monster variants you need to fight to max out end game gear. Giving them double health, always in rage mode and never-ending stamina removes so much variation from the hunt, it's boring to hunt them solo as a result, just constantly having to deal with a raging damage sponge with fewer openings to punish than usual.

It think overnight hiring so many games as a kid has permanently impacted my ability to completely absorb myself in an action game for more than 24 hours. However, for those 24 hours I can be completely absorbed by most games. As a kid, I'd play non-stop for every second I had the game before returning it, never to think of it, or play it again.

This weekend was regions of ruin, I've played nothing else and been completely absorbed by it. Before that was the hammerting demo.

Very rarely do games manage to outlive 48 hours of my attention, regardless of how much I loved them or played them in that time. Breath of the wild has managed at least a couple of hours a day for a couple of weeks now but even that has fallen away before seeing the end. And with story based or skill based games, most require so much memory that going back to them months or even weeks later is almost impossible.

The only games that tend to have longevity with me are games that can be neatly packaged into a couple of days play which mostly means roguelites/roguelikes such as Oxygen not included and racing/sports games like rocket league.

The Last of Is Part 2 for me as well. It’s extremely rare that I’ll start playing on a Friday night and be done by Sunday evening in time for dinner and TLoU 2 is one of those games. Totally spellbinding. 

Red Dead 2. Have now completed it twice in terms of story but its the hunting, fishing and encounters in the environment that keep me going back in for hours. Just wandering the land with no plan and experiencing the living world is where the heart of the game is and I cannot get enough of it.