Lies and the lying liars who tell them

As we are on the verge of the release of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, and people are fighting in the queues to get the new NVidia graphics cards, it's worth remembering this:

This is Motorstorm for the PS3 as presented at E3 as a demonstration of the pure power of the PS3.  It's stunning isnt it, and somehow nothing happened when the console was released and people played the game and it was nothing like that.

It's been going on for years of course.  I remember buying Nemesis for the Spectrum based on the screenshots and not noticing the initials of the artist in the corner of each.  Even when Sinclair User printed two pages of playing tips that matched the screenshots and not the actual game, I didnt really notice.  There were many adverts where coin op screenshots were used on adverts in Speccy magazines labelled as "Amiga screenshots". 

When Driver 3 got amazing reviews from one particular magazine brand (and terrible reviews from everyone else) they got away with it.  

I appreciate the next gen looks great in the advance publicity but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see one in someone house working as advertised.  

What are the biggest lies you remember from the games industry?

I think you've nailed it @dumpster with the opening PS3 games.

There's a diffrence between a developer saying 'This is the game we're making and hoping to release' vs a publisher just using target renders but then touting 'this is in-game.'

Reminds me, although I'm a bit too young to have lived through it, of games showing screenshots on the back which are from a completly diffrent port!

2 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

IDGI

All that praise for the biggest pretentious non-game of the past decades. Received it for free via PS+ and felt insulted.

26 minutes ago, dumpster said:

As we are on the verge of the release of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, and people are fighting in the queues to get the new NVidia graphics cards, it's worth remembering this:

This is Motorstorm for the PS3 as presented at E3 as a demonstration of the pure power of the PS3.  It's stunning isnt it, and somehow nothing happened when the console was released and people played the game and it was nothing like that.

It's been going on for years of course.  I remember buying Nemesis for the Spectrum based on the screenshots and not noticing the initials of the artist in the corner of each.  Even when Sinclair User printed two pages of playing tips that matched the screenshots and not the actual game, I didnt really notice.  There were many adverts where coin op screenshots were used on adverts in Speccy magazines labelled as "Amiga screenshots". 

When Driver 3 got amazing reviews from one particular magazine brand (and terrible reviews from everyone else) they got away with it.  

I appreciate the next gen looks great in the advance publicity but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see one in someone house working as advertised.  

What are the biggest lies you remember from the games industry?

I'd forgotten just how insane that trailer looked. However, I will never forget Eurogamer's 'PlayStation 3 - the real next generation' stuff. IIRC there was an impressions piece about the conferences that was far worse than the news piece with that headline, although reading the latter it doesn't line up with my memory, so I'm wondering if anything was subsequently taken out. Anyway, the PS3 vs Xbox 360 article will live in infamy. It was written by Rob Fahey, who fell for the Sony CG-fest hook, line and sinker, whereas on here at the time only a few diehards really continued to drink the kool-aid, particularly after the trailers unravelled within days.

EDIT: Aha! I've found the article I was thinking of, and it's a doozy: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/a_e32005nextgeneditorialrob

Looking at the content of the two conferences today in Los Angeles - and the MTV special last week, in the case of Xbox 360 - "outclassed" is a word that comes to mind a lot. The bar which was set by Microsoft last week has not only been met, it has been vaulted over. PlayStation 3 is more powerful, more fully featured, more innovative and better supported than Xbox 360. When the Sony conference kicked off, we expected to see something "a bit better" than Xbox, technologically. We didn't expect to have our most fundamental beliefs about what next-generation games will be capable of changed. That, however, is exactly what happened.

...Where Microsoft gave us Elijah Wood babbling through a half hour marketing-led special on MTV, Sony had us watching Phil Harrison show off jaw-dropping interactive tech demos on stage...

We weren't told how "cool" a random American sports star thinks PlayStation 3 is, we were told how astonishingly powerful it is and how incredibly feature-packed it is. We're not just talking about a console that's twice as powerful as Xbox 360 in simple, logical terms (and bear in mind that that's a far, far greater gap in power than existed between PS2 and Xbox); we're talking about a console with more functionality, with fewer corners cut and with a genuinely more impressive line-up of software.

'Twice as powerful as Xbox 360 in simple, logical terms'. Oh my sweet summer child.

There's two that I always remember.

First is the Half Life 2 leak/hack where it was revealed that the revolutionary AI that Valve were touting was a complete fabrication.

Although HL2 being a master piece that pioneered in loads of other areas took the edge of that in the end.

Then there was the (in hindsight very obviously bullshit) Edge preview for Halo 2 which talked about dynamic covenant patrols sweeping ruins, shooting lights out for stealth purposes, Marines spontaneously jumping on mongooses and driving to the top of hills to get vantage points to snipe from and flipping tables over for cover etc.

Halo 2 didn't turn out quite as good as Half Life 2 though...

The whole build up to the PS2. Power of emotion engine, so advanced it could be used to launch missiles into France for laughs. Then there was the obvious pre rendered videos displaying visuals in line with the animated movies of the time.  Never heard such bullshit, thought it was back then but the game buying public swallowed it.

Sony haven’t been such blatant liars since. but neither have been shy of deliberately releasing previews far beyond their forthcoming console’s capabilities. 

13 minutes ago, df0 said:

All that praise for the biggest pretentious non-game of the past decades. Received it for free via PS+ and felt insulted.

That’s a shame, I’ve just finished Edith Finch & Gone Home, this was next on my list and the final game I planned on completing pre-next gen,

Maybe the genre just isn’t for you?

Dead Island for me, THAT trailer, and the game never lived up to it

Maybe not a lie as such, but the hype around The Bouncer was mind numbing fuelled by both Sony and Square. I am hard-pressed to believe both did not know what a turd it was.

19 minutes ago, df0 said:

My favourite game of all time. My tastes are not your tastes.

3 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

That’s a shame, I’ve just finished Edith Finch & Gone Home, this was next on my list and the final game I planned on completing pre-next gen,

Maybe the genre just isn’t for you?

Dead Island for me, THAT trailer, and the game never lived up to it

Don't let it put you off playing Rapture. It's easily on my all time top 10. And the soundtrack is incredible.

I place the blame for this shit happening and continuing to some extent of dumb ass journalists who either don't really understand the technology of the time and therefore what is likely possible on it or wanting to sell more magazines with shinys on the cover. Basically if you don't show me footage with a working UI over it then I'm immediately untrusting of whether it's really in game (and I see in engine as VERY different from in game).

PS3 hype machine in general as you have noted! We all knew deep down though that this level of quality simply wasn't possible on hardware at the time especially at the price Sony were selling it at. :) Although it wasn't a bad machine at all and some of the games were stunning, Uncharted series being prime examples and the Last Of Us late in its life.

Others include "screen shots" back in the day on 8-bit and 16-bit games. C64 screen shots used for lots of 8-bit titles and Amiga in the 16-bit days. 

I've never really being duped TBH. Always set my expectations low until I actually see something running on actual consumer hardware as in when its released.

9 minutes ago, df0 said:

Maybe not a lie as such, but the hype around The Bouncer was mind numbing fuelled by both Sony and Square. I am hard-pressed to believe both did not know what a turd it was.

We had a VHS tape of The Bouncer on a continual loop.  Loads of preorders.  Shite.  

I wish I'd kept the press release we got for PS2, there was a whole paragraph about how the emotion engine could accurately simulate iron filings or something, it was just gibberish.

7 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

Watch Dogs, I remember the first trailer looked amazing but the game  looked much worse. 

What you mean this trailer?

And then of course they found that this did exist through delving into the files of the PC version which led to the question of whether the game had been purposely nerfed on PC so as not to show the new consoles up.

6 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

And then of course they found that this did exist through delving into the files of the PC version which led to the question of whether the game had been purposely nerfed on PC so as not to show the new consoles up.

That's amazing, I never knew that.  According to the thread about the mod they even had animations specifically earmarked for E3 and disabled in release.