Next Gen - What Are You Getting At Launch? [Round 2]

What’re ya buyin’ stranger?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, we did this back in September, but I'm interested to see if things have changed, as we're only 2 weeks away from Xbox Series S/X and 3 and a bit weeks from PS5.

Last time's results:

vYbgmA9.png

My own, very dull, internal deliberations:

I've gone from "neither at launch" to then deciding to get a new Xbox, because my brother's OG Xbox One is on its last legs, and he could take my One X. Unfortunately, due to COVID, he can't travel to come and get it from me, so this is on the back burner.

I've still got a pre-order for both a Series S and a Series X but would quite like a PS5 to play the PS exclusives (I was going to hang on for a refresh, but then realised I seem to have less and less free time as I get more senior at work, so I might as well enjoy myself now), but am hesitant to give up my Xbox pre-orders in case I end up not being able to get a PS5 for months.

So essentially, have no idea whether to go for an S and a PS5 or just a Series X. Or maybe stretch and get a Series X and a PS5. Amazingly, despite being two weeks from launch, we've not seen head to heads of the Series S and Series X.

tl;dr: Whoever wins, my wallet loses.

Both Series X and PS5 Disc

However I’ve decided the PS5 is getting wrapped up as a Christmas present to myself, first time I’ve managed to do both consoles in my life and I’m not going to lie it feels pretty epic that I’m not going to be looking at a console exclusive this time and thinking “Bastards”

I'd be jumping all over owning new hardware about now. But truth is there is nothing exciting about the new consoles this time around for me. There is simply nothing innovative there to draw me in. 4K? meh. 60fps - PC does this already. Other than an update in graphics fidelity not sure what these are going to offer over what I have? PS5 has "harptic feedback" on the controller... My Steam controller had that years ago etc. Couldn't you argue that the XBox one had that already on the triggers anyway back in 2013 when it was released. Sony haven't really mentioned too much about where they are at regarding ongoing VR support on the PS5. VR is currently my favourite new tech ever. So no dice there even.

Not even any games there at launch I'm interested in either. New first party AAA driving game? No. Its a weird generation shift this one for sure. Feels more like a PC upgrade than anything else. :D Which is why I'm out for the foreseeable. The only thing I do miss now and again is playing my old 360 and Xbox content. But that only lasts 10 minutes or so until I find something on the PC that scratches that itch.

Going for both at the moment and currently foresee XBX being the primary machine and PS5 being used mainly for exclusives.

I'm hoping that now the Xbox seems to be moving back to the position it had on here during the 360 era, certain posters might have less of a chip on their shoulder all the time. 

/checks banned thread.

Welp.

I have a disc PS5 on preorder but if it doesn't play PS4 games with similar performance gains that we're seeing on XSX then i think it's going straight to CEX. I think both consoles have a very anaemic launch lineup. Enhanced back cat will make it worth it, really hoping it delivers. I await the DF breakdown with much anticipation. 

In the past I bought the 360 on launch, and the PS4, and after the first few months with both had to go back to my old consoles as there isn't anything new to play. With Covid affecting development and the very slim pickings at launch on both formats I can see it being much worse here.

Pre-ordered both PS5 digital and Series X, a beautiful way to end a terrible year on a high note by treating myself to luxurious new hardware. As a bonus we need a new telly in the living room and the missus seems to on board with getting a LG 55CX OLED which coincidentally seems to be the best telly to get with these consoles. I'm very excited to put it mildly. Very, very excited.

I think in the previous round of votes I said neither. Then Demon’s Souls got confirmed for launch, looked amazing, and now I’m 2 grand down because console, game and OLED telly :facepalm:

But truly I am so fucking excited. This might be the last “traditional” console launch that we get. 7 years from now when the next next gen comes round, do we really think we’ll be buying new boxes to put under our TV’s? I don’t think so. I’ll be really savouring that new console smell on November 19th. Can’t wait.

Sony have done more than enough to earn my money...at some point next year.

I keep debating picking up a series S in the meantime but I’m just not seeing enough info about it. Mostly I look at the games I want to catch up on (Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima and a whole bunch of indies) not to mention the new Hyrule Warriors out soon and I’m more than alright for a bit I think. 

PS5 coming basically for Demon's, but I'm not especially looking forward to it. I don't really want that ghastly fuck box in my eye line, either. Fortunately, I can shove it behind the telly. I've got a handful of PS4 games I didn't finish (or really get into) before I flogged my Pro, but if I'd really wanted to play them I probably already would have done so. It's not particularly costing me anything, though. I sold my X and Pro to cover the PS5 and I hardly used either since TLOU2, so it's costing me about a tenner. 

I have an XSX pre-order but I've basically promised that to my mate because I can't think of a single thing I would want to play when I turn it on. I'd try FH4 at 60fps for ten minutes and coo but I've already exhausted it. I'll get one when they have some new good exclusives, hopefully next Christmas. Not bothered about GP at all. I'd rather buy a game I want to play and support the devs. I can't argue with the value, but I have personally only enjoyed Neon Abyss on it this year. It seems that the stuff that goes on there is the stuff that I wouldn't normally buy or I already bought years ago.

Inane laboured point but they're both coming far too soon with far too little to play at launch. 

Buzzing to play shiny Miles Morales in the run up to Christmas, with it’s ‘Christmas in New York’ setting. I remember Ben Moore commenting during Easy Allies’ PS5 Showcase reactions thing about just how cosy it will be playing some Spider-Man over Christmas with a cup of hot chocolate and that was me sold even harder. That was me all aboard for launch. I’m gonna be mixing some Baileys into my cup of hot choccy while I’m at it and everything will be so good :wub:

48 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Buzzing to play shiny Miles Morales in the run up to Christmas, with it’s ‘Christmas in New York’ setting. I remember Ben Moore commenting during Easy Allies’ PS5 Showcase reactions thing about just how cosy it will be playing some Spider-Man over Christmas with a cup of hot chocolate and that was me sold even harder. That was me all aboard for launch. I’m gonna be mixing some Baileys into my cup of hot choccy while I’m at it and everything will be so good :wub:

Yeah. I'm thinking that between and Xbox and a PS5, over Christmas, I'd rather have the latter. My Game Pass sub is expiring in December and I'm thinking going without the platform for a short while won't be a major issue, and I'll be able to get stuck into Ghost of Tsushima (60fps) and Spidey over Christmas.

With those two this year, plus Horizon and Ragnarok next, I think I can pretty much justify a PS5. Now all I need to do is find a console!

Xbox Series X for me. The main games I want in the next few months I think may be better on Xbox, Valhalla, Cyberpunk, Cold War. To be honest having both at launch might be a bit overwhelming anyway. I plan to pick up a PS5 around March next year. 

No change; still "neither" here. I absolutely can't blame people for getting excited about new platforms, but I want to see how things go at launch and maybe make a decision later. Also my PC isn't terrible just yet, and I'll probably still be catching up on old-gen stuff too...

For the first time in about 25 years I don't have a console to myself. The Xbox One X has gone to the eldest as his Xbox One has died, so he gets that as an early Xmas present. The PS4 Pro has gone to a fellow mukker just today, leaving me with naught.

For the first time ever, I'll be getting both new consoles on day one. PS5 disc and Xbox Series X. Bought but didn't play Ghosts of Tsushima on PS4 so will start with that on PS5. Also have Cyberpunk paid for, so hoping to clears GoT by then. As for the Xbox, going to start a new gamer tag and get 3 years of Gamepass sorted for day one. Saved up for one of them already and have my birthday/xmas in December to help cover some of the cost of the second.

Utter madness admittedly but I've worked most of the year and fancy spoiling myself. Been fairly disciplined in clearing lots of debt in recent years so am just about okay with the extravagance. 

Neither at launch.  No games that grab me.  I've done my share of buying crap at launch just to have something to play on my new console, so I'll wait a year or so.  By then any launch games I like will be much cheaper anyway.  I'll make do with backlog, Switch and retro for now.

Got an S because it’s very affordable and I’ve got a few quid spare due to the pandemic limiting my social life somewhat. Wouldn’t have gone next gen so early if a cheap option for people like me wasn’t accessible. Glad MS made a console that caters for those of us living in a space starved bedsit with a 22” HD tv. 

Got lots of digital 360 and xbone games that haven’t been played for years and looking forward to Tetris effect and the falconeer. Those are my type of games.  First day one console for me since the GBA! 

I cracked and ordered a Series X. As much as I love PS exclusives I am too invested in the Xbox ecosystem and have built a large catalogue of games from the 360 and Xbone era.

Just need to remember to take the 11th off to actually sit down and play the thing whilst the house is empty for the day.

PS5 DE. Really looking forward to Demon's Souls, Miles Morales and Astro. When even Giant Bomb is praising the latter you know it's gonna be good. :P

Most hyped for Housemarque's Returnal though, I hope that will be out soon after launch.

I was a no as I primarily game on PC now and my machine will definitely last another year or two at medium settings, the Xbox is the kids Gamepass machine and any chance of me getting a PS5 at launch was killed by Sony announcing Miles Morales and the new Horizon will get PS4 versions... I’ll be waiting due Ragnerock I suspect.

But the massively attractive low cost combined with my original Xbone getting a little elderly (it likes to turn itself off and need the power brick resetting every couple of weeks or so) has meant I’m upgrading it to a Series S.

That way I get to try some new gen shinies and super fast loading and the kids have a machine that’s not likely to die on them in the next few months...

Probably not buying anything to go with it aside from Gamepass content, which is just as well as there erm isn’t anything is there?

Easy decision - Day one. Full fat PS5.

Never picked up a Pro. Got a big backlog, with almost 300 PS4 games (including PSN games), with stuff like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Bloodborne, FF7 Remake, Days Gone etc, among many others, still to play/finish. Just subscribed to PSNow too, which has surprised me at just how good it is, especially considering it’s only £35 for the year! 

Really looking forward to Astrobot (looks proper quality) and will be getting Demon’s Souls (just.....WOW!), WRC9, might grab Watchdogs Legion (just for its setting, if it’s not too janky), plus Miles Morales Ultimate Edition. Oh and Ghost of Tsushima at 60fps! Yeah man! :) In the not too distant future - really looking forward to Returnal (Resogun is fucking awesome), seeing what Japan Studio have up their sleeve and the future of PSVR!

Still neither for me, personally.

I think the only game that looks like I would be interested in is Demon's Souls - and a remake of a game I've already played isn't enough to justify a £500 box for it by itself.

I like the XSX from a hardware point of view, but at the moment I'm perfectly happy playing BC games on the One X and new Game Pass stuff on PC (and eventually xcloud).

Cancelled my Series X pre order as I just don’t need it right now. Currently have One X and Pro with plenty to play on both. If anything I’ll likely get the PS5 first, just so I can sell the hovercraft, but probably not until next year. Any console I buy will be easily visible so hopefully an all black PS5 will be available at some point.