The official can AMD finally deliver a competitive GPU thread

1 hour ago, Simbo said:

I don't know anything about eGPUs but that said, the total draw power from the 6800XT is 300W.  So maybe it's ok if it's only powering the card itself

Ah sorry mate, it wasn’t directed specifically at you. You just made me think. 300w sounds good though, so hopefully I won’t have any problems. And yeah, all that power is for the card only.

AMD has an answer to DLSS, DirectML Super Resolution | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

AMD needs an answer to Nvidia's DLSS, and that answer is DirectML-powered Super Resolution. Like Nvidia, AMD plans to utilise Machine Learning improve the visual quality of games, but AMD's solution will have the backing of Microsoft. 

In a recent disclosure regarding their Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S system, Microsoft confirmed that both of their next-generation consoles would support Machine learning for games with DirectML. Through their collaboration with AMD when creating their new consoles, AMD has a chance to replace DLSS with an alternative which will apply to gamers on both PC and Xbox, giving developers little reason to support DLSS over DirectML Super Resolution.   

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up buying a new PSU 850w 80+gold.  Got that installed so I'm ready now for a new GPU.

Going to try to get the 6800XL but sounds like stock is going to be a nightmare.

Any recommendations on where and when to start looking?  Presuming scan might be best.  Maybe keep an eye on Amazon too.

No idea what time orders will be open from on the 18th.  Not seen anything online yet.

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Next card I get for my PC will be AMD but not scheduled for a while now. 

I expect most things will be written with consoles in mind which use AMD tech so maybe PC games may be slightly more optimised for AMD chipsets. Also my monitor supports AMD freesync apparently.

AMD are also slightly cheaper than Nvidia cards too.

55 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I expect most things will be written with consoles in mind which use AMD tech so maybe PC games may be slightly more optimised for AMD chipsets.

Things people have been saying since 2013.

48 minutes ago, layten said:

Things people have been saying since 2013.

Well yes.... In the end it's a price / performance thing and what you are happy with.

Don't intend to pay Nvidias hyper inflated prices when a AMD card will probably be enough for what I need. I don't need *the best* just need something than performs well for what I consider a reasonable price. Good to have options.... 

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Well yes.... In the end it's a price / performance thing and what you are happy with.

Don't intent to pay Nvidias hyper inflated prices when a AMD card will probably be enough for what I need. I don't need *the best* just need something than performs well for what I consider a reasonable price. Good to have options.... 

I do appreciate AMD's capacity to keep NVidia honest in terms of rendering efficiency, however it's worth mentioning that hyper inflated prices are solely the work of retailers having little to no care of supplying genuine customers, here and now.

If you think that AMD will be fare any better in terms of being scalped, especially if they're touted as going tit-for-tat with their respective competitor, it might be worth looking back on the history of bitcoin mining completely ruining both competitor's availability. No company is invincible to dickheads with scalping bots unless they're overpriced to the moon (Which I found was the case when I first picked up a basic aftermarket 5700XT - a good £100 more than I was expecting to pay at the time because it was supposed to be priced the same as the OEM models, until they turned out to be a bit shite).

Anyway, I'm glad that DirectML is a thing as a universally compatible ML solution is good for everyone's cards, although it does inherently tie games to a particular API, which in turn ties games to a certain operating system. I'm not a fan of that sort of thing as that leads to compatibility fuck-ups down the road, but hopefully VKD3D will pick up the pieces in that regard.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

Anyway, I'm glad that DirectML is a thing as a universally compatible ML solution is good for everyone's cards, although it does inherently tie games to a particular API, which in turn ties games to a certain operating system. I'm not a fan of that sort of thing as that leads to compatibility fuck-ups down the road, but hopefully VKD3D will pick up the pieces in that regard.

DirectX 12 Ultimate already ties games on PC to a certain operating system, that's why money is invested in it. Not seen much news about a cross-platform/OS alternative to that package being prepared so business as usual, which is the same as the last nearly 40 years.

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

DirectX 12 Ultimate already ties games on PC to a certain operating system, that's why money is invested in it. Not seen much news about a cross-platform/OS alternative to that package being prepared so business as usual, which is the same as the last nearly 40 years.

And in any case, with Mac moving to Apple Silicon and it’s own associated lock-in, that only really leaves Desktop Linux as a plausible alternative. And without graphics drivers, who cares outside of Google?

Hardware unboxed have a video up unboxing and talking about the cards and Steve said that after talking to retailers stock levels were bad, like rtx 3080 bad or maybe even worse.

Don't expect to be able to buy one for at least a month it seems.

Managed to place an order with overclockers - looked like their cards released at 2:30.

I have an order reference number and have an amazon pay receipt email but I don't know if that is enough to get excited about (was £689 all in inc delivery).

I'm not going to get too excited but fingers crossed that means something ... either that or they have taken my money and popped me in a queue ... but I've no way to tell.  Will wait an see what happens.

There are some reviews floating around now. RPS, Digital Foundry and The Verge all had reviews up around 2:00pm, so I'm guessing that's when the embargo broke.

Of course it does mean that reviews went up at around the same time the cards launched, which is still rubbish.

6800XT is within a hair's breadth of the RTX 3080 at 4K with raytracing off, so performance/£ is basically the same. Raytracing performance is good for a first attempt, but it takes a bigger performance hit than Nvidia. The cooler is good. Power draw is much better than Nvidia.

If they can sort the drivers (lol) it sounds like a really good card.

The reviews should have went up earlier but they didn't which is rubbish.

My thinking is that if I am lucky enough to get one then I can read the reviews and have the option to cancel or sell on if I think I've made the wrong choice.

My first card was AMD (Radeon HD 7950), currently have a 980TI, and looking forward to a 6800XT.  I was happy enough with AMD the first time around.

My primary use case is VR and I'm less bothered about ray tracing.

3 minutes ago, Uzi said:

What prices were these in the UK out of interest? I would check overclockers and the such but I have no idea if they bumped prices

I paid £679 for 6800XT.  Current status - "Order received - not yet shipped".  (as mentioned earlier, I'll wait and see if that means anything or if I'm queued)

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

What prices were these in the UK out of interest? I would check overclockers and the such but I have no idea if they bumped prices

OCUK forum seems to be a rage fest at price gouging right now.

I'm shocked.

1 minute ago, Simbo said:

My primary use case is VR and I'm less bothered about ray tracing.

Then AMD should be all good - it even has the USB-C for some headsets. I'm sure the VRAM will give it  some longevity too vs the 3080.

For RT though - only Nvidia is reasonable at that price

1 minute ago, footle said:

Performance is basically the same except for the feature you’d spend £600 on a graphics card for. Also no ML enhanced resolution scaling yet.

That's fair of course although a lot of people will want 4K/60 and it accomplishes that with a cheaper, quieter, cooler, less juice-hungry card. I still think the 3080 is the better buy, but the 6800XT looks like a viable alternative - especially if they can actually get some cards available to buy.

Pretty much a total paper launch like the ryzen 5000 CPU's. Also the ray tracing performance is very disappointing. 4k performance is also generally behind Nividia as well but the lower res performance is generally better.

DLSS really is Nvidias killer feature though. AMD really need their system to be as good.