The official can AMD finally deliver a competitive GPU thread

I don't think it's happening. OCUK have none according to their forum and this reddit post suggest Scan have zero stock too.

No AIB stock for UK retailers

Just messaged Scan & Overclockers, Scan has informed me that they have 0 stock of the cards so will not be selling them today. Overclockers are usually very responsive, but won't respond to my message regarding stock levels today. Guessing if these two don't have anything then the smaller retailers won't either.

6 minutes ago, bignige said:

I don't think it's happening. OCUK have none according to their forum and this reddit post suggest Scan have zero stock too.

No AIB stock for UK retailers

Just messaged Scan & Overclockers, Scan has informed me that they have 0 stock of the cards so will not be selling them today. Overclockers are usually very responsive, but won't respond to my message regarding stock levels today. Guessing if these two don't have anything then the smaller retailers won't either.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/radeon-6000-series-faqs

Based on what you said. Their FAK is a little misleading

hardware unboxed have done a vid with a bit talking about the rather, obscene, price gouging going on with AMD cards! ...so its massivly inferior RT performance, for the same price, or more!...Have AMD become intel!?

Small update from me on the performance issues with Project Cars 2 in VR.  Got to the bottom of it I got a huge improvement when I disabled screen mirroring from some helpful people on reddit.  Just added "-vrnomirror" to the stream launch options.  With that set, I've been able to bump up the graphics quality a far bit so I'm much happier now.

Also had a short in Star Wars Squadrons and that is looking sweet - helped of course by the v3.0 release no doubt.

I'm really happy now with the graphics card after the huge stumbling block last weekend.  

@Simbo And I was going to ask if you wanted to sell it after your initial disappointment with it!

In other news, I’ve given up on a 6800XT for now and gone with a 5700XT until they’re more easily available/cheaper/Apple have written drivers for them. I really need to update to Big Sur, so hopefully the 5700 won’t be that much of a backwards step from a 1080ti. I’m sure I’ll cope for a few months either way.

12 hours ago, JPL said:

@Simbo And I was going to ask if you wanted to sell it after your initial disappointment with it!

In other news, I’ve given up on a 6800XT for now and gone with a 5700XT until they’re more easily available/cheaper/Apple have written drivers for them. I really need to update to Big Sur, so hopefully the 5700 won’t be that much of a backwards step from a 1080ti. I’m sure I’ll cope for a few months either way.

The 1080ti is on around a 2080 and the 5700xt is about a 2070 super with the subsequent driver updates it has had so there will prob be very little in it

On 26/11/2020 at 21:34, Mallet said:

So basically AMD took a loss on a few thousand reference cards to get the buzz and hype going when the real price is over $100 more?

According to the HUB discussion, they've spoken to AMD about it and were told that there is nothing stopping AIBs being able to produce product at close to SRP, the expectation is for the budget offerings to arrive within the next 2 months. If that happens, then it's not really a bait&switch.

Nvidia's pricing of the RTX 2080 Ti was definitely a bait&switch as AIB cards were not widely available at anywhere close to SRP.

AMD's problem in this instance is severe lack of supply meaning their one chance to make some headway against Nvidia has likely been squandered as Nvidia will also have this extra time to get their production problems sorted and pump out more product too.

During Richard Leadbetter's video review of the AMD 6800s, he made an interesting comment.

AMD's upcoming FidelityFX Super Resolution doesn't use AI/ML according to him, citing PCGH as the source. I had a Google, but I assume it was only reported in German as nobody else has mentioned this. Though to give some credence to this, AMD have said it's open-source and cross-platform, so may indeed not make use of the INT4/8 stuff available on RDNA2. 18min 30s into the video:

...FidelityFX is just CAS, its open sauce, and has been available as the sharpening filter on nvidia for a while now....

that "super resolution" is summit else, what?, fuck knows! as they aint said, or demomed, shit!

FidelityFX is their branding for their suite of image enhancement technologies available to developers. CAS was created by Timothy Lottes, also the creator of FXAA/TXAA when he merced for Nvidia, before a tour of duty at Epic on UE. Be funny if he was also behind FidelityFX Super Resolution, he's got form when it comes to coming up with interesting highly performant software solutions.

AMD's marketing team should really have checked their existing branding though, AMD already partially use the term Super Resolution for something else!

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

Well...the answer to the topic question is yes, but also, no. Rasterisation, yes it competes! trading blows in games with the comparable cards!

RT...not really no... 

the 6900xt then...

image.thumb.png.bb369dc0292ffaf4e113e357b5469c49.png

my 2080ti (yes overclocked, but still just the standard cooler nothing crazy) yes a high end card, but, also, a 2 year old card now!

image.thumb.png.f57d3da5bb52741daa5bf9efebef8042.png

Minecraft - This REALLY shows the difference the DLSS makes! Without an equivalent, it has worse performance that a 2060!? :unsure: But, it also shows that nvidia's RT is simply, better, as the 3060ti, is more than 20% faster, without DLSS!

image.thumb.png.56cf71b54b91b1d3e97a7f9875766819.png

TBF, some driver updates from AMD could improve these results going forward! but, considering the consoles are below 6800 spec, i don't think we should be looking for obscene amounts of RT on them...but...they will have some great normal looking games with them specs, as the rasterisation performance is pretty good!

On 19/11/2020 at 19:57, 5R7 said:

@Simbo as you've actually got one of these 6800xt's. any chance you could see if quake 2 rtx works and how?

it will run on none rtx cards (ive tried it on a 1070...that was fun!). its also free for the demo version on steam :)

Saw an update come through in the past hour on Quake 2 RTX and remembered you asking me about this.  Quake 2 RTX now works with AMD because its been aligned with the vulkan ray tracing extensions.  I gave it a go and it worked.  Needed to update my drivers to get the new vulkan extensions which was easy enough.