When has a megagame delivered the goods?

The issue these days is that everything is hyped beyond belief, then you get paid influencers the hype levels snowball.

Really enjoyed Uncharted 4 - didn't really read the hype and picked it up 6 or so months after release and really enjoyed it.

Conversely followed the hype train on Zelda Breath Of The Wild and was completely disappointed with it. Didn't really want Zelda becoming like a Skyrim type game. Alas that what it has become IMHO. :) Not that there is anything wrong with Skyrim or other free roaming RPGs of this type - just liked Zelda the old way as it was. Bit of free roaming but within bounds keeping it a tight story.

Uncharted 4 for me - loved the single player but the multiplayer really delivered, supported for a whole year with free updates , a HDR/resolution boost with a free pro patch, butter smooth 60fps gunplay and great shooting/traversal mechanics - compare the movement of UC4 to RDR2 is like comparing Mario to Bubsy 3D

6 hours ago, Pob said:

And I guess you don’t really see PC games pushing the envelope (like Crysis and Half Life 2 did a while back) as you need console versions to ensure a return on investment in today’s world. 

Not convinced, as flight sim just has done. But it’s not a megagame.

I really didn’t get Rez in VR. I’ve tried it on every platform and it seems like a quick and dirty port without much going for it. Area X is pretty annoying to control too. 

I was going to say MGS2, then I remembered the hoo-hah over Raiden

Jet Set Willy was the first really hyped mega game I can remember. It sort of delivered, you certainly thought it did at first, then you realised it was broken.

I'm aware this is a game I bang on about a lot, but: Gran Turismo 3

The first two games were the highest and third highest selling games, respectively, on the highest ever selling console (at the time). The next iteration had a lot to live up to. And, imo, it delivered. The graphics were amazing,  and still stand up today. The physics felt spot on. There was tonnes and tonnes of content with a structure and difficulty curve that made it accessible, while still pandering to the nore hardcore. 

It was just a very, very good game.  It has it's flaws - the AI is a bit shaky, to say the least,  and the sound effects weren't great- but it reviewed well, sold brilliantly (something like 15m copies) and is still worth playing today. Especially if you have a decent wheel. 

Yes, I'd go with that.  Also, I think it appeared early on in the PS2 lifecycle so might have been one of the first big hitters?

On a smiliar note but the other side, would Forza Horizon count?  It basically arrived fully formed and absolutely amazing - but I can't remember whether it was hyped enough to be considered a "megagame".  I seem to recall it sort of coming out of left field a bit. 

10 hours ago, Moz said:

I really didn’t get Rez in VR. I’ve tried it on every platform and it seems like a quick and dirty port without much going for it. Area X is pretty annoying to control too. 

Officer, I'd like to report a crime.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

The first two games were the highest and third highest selling games, respectively, on the highest ever selling console (at the time). The next iteration had a lot to live up to. And, imo, it delivered. The graphics were amazing,  and still stand up today. The physics felt spot on. There was tonnes and tonnes of content with a structure and difficulty curve that made it accessible, while still pandering to the nore hardcore. 

It was just a very, very good game.  It has it's flaws - the AI is a bit shaky, to say the least,  and the sound effects weren't great- but it reviewed well, sold brilliantly (something like 15m copies) and is still worth playing today. Especially if you have a decent wheel. 

Good shout.

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Officer, I'd like to report a crime.

I played it on PSVR when it came out and didn't get the fuss at all. Bought it on Quest last week, and then refunded it after an hour. I have to conclude it's only really impressive as a first time or early VR experience. it's a distant, limited, on rails experience more like playing a game on a 3DTV than actually existing in an interactive 3D space.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

It was just a very, very good game.  

Theres a market stall near me that has consoles displayed on a 14" CRT , usually a Megadrive or SNES.  I was there a while back and he had GT3 for the PS2 running and it looked to me like it was PS4 with only the TV letting it down. When I saw it was PS2 I couldn't believe it.

Did GT3 do much that was revolutionary? I was thinking more about big-budget games that promised a quantum leap of some sort rather than an iteration on a formula. Driving games feel like the archetypal iterative genre. 

Not sure that "megagame" = "revolutionary".  To me, a megagame is just one that is AAA and has a hype train running for 18 months beforehand.  GTAV and Halo are definitely megagames.  Death Stranding?  Lot of hype there.  DIablo III.  Whatever is next in the Skyrim / Fallout series.

To answer my own question, I checked the original Forza Horizon thread.  Vague announcement in March, full trailer in June, launched in October.  That's not a megagame to me, though it became one after the fact due to its success and the sequels defeinitely count.

I would have thought the thread implies that a game has to be revolutionary or at least unusually good, as otherwise the question in the title is effectively "has a game ever been good?"

Maybe.  But I can think of many examples where something revolutionary has been introduced in something small and then copied.  For instance, Portal.  I think that I've said before that Forza Horizon was basically Test Drive Unlimited done properly.  To me at least ,"megagame" implies "big, bold, blockbuster".  Massive budgets, massive hype.  The new Halo is absolutely a megagame, but is it introducing anything revolutionary?  Did Destiny 2 bring anything new to the party?

Perfect Dark. Sure, in terms of budget it had nothing on today's AAA monoliths, but you shouldn't forget just how big of a game Goldeneye was and therefore the weight of expectation on Perfect Dark as its spiritual sequel. I remember the N64 mags hyping it up for months on end and touting all the amazing features it was going to have - enemy voice acting, being able to shoot guns out of guards hands to have them take you on in a fist fight, putting your own face onto your multiplayer character with the Gameboy camera, a gun that you could throw against a wall to deploy as an automatic sentry gun, motion blur to convey dizziness that increased in intensity with each punch or transquiliser dart you took, a counter-operative mode where your mate could play as an enemy in a single player level and try to take you down, etc.

After several delays, by the time it finally launched the Dreamcast and the PS2 had already arrived, but it didn't disappoint. It pushed the N64 to its absolute limit (too far some would say when you look at the frame rate!) but with the exception of the GB Camera feature, they delivered pretty much everything they'd promised. It remains one of the most feature-packed and ambitious FPS's there's ever been.

Super Mario Galaxy might have been released on dated hardware but it certainly was a mega game in my eyes. It’s astonishing that a wii game was released that looked on the level of games on the other systems.

9 hours ago, Plissken said:

Maybe.  But I can think of many examples where something revolutionary has been introduced in something small and then copied.  For instance, Portal.  I think that I've said before that Forza Horizon was basically Test Drive Unlimited done properly.  To me at least ,"megagame" implies "big, bold, blockbuster".  Massive budgets, massive hype.  The new Halo is absolutely a megagame, but is it introducing anything revolutionary?  Did Destiny 2 bring anything new to the party?

Yeah that’s what I was trying to get at with this thread. Those mega-hyped games that were promising something groundbreaking rather than just an AAA game with a big budget. That combination of ambition, huge resources and perhaps some new tech, and actually managing to pull it off. Sometimes the game turns out to be very ordinary (Halo Infinite might be going this way), sometimes the whole thing is a disaster (Rise of the Robots). 

9 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Could the first Halo be considered a mega game? There was a lot of hype for it for ages on Mac and then PC when it was a different game.

Yeah I reckon. I don't know if it was big-budget at the time but I remember the PC Zone previews, showing a Warthog jumping across epic verdant green landscapes and thinking "bollocks will it turn out to be that good". It seemed to be previewed for years in advance of its release and had this amazing aesthetic that was so much better than the brown, staid FPS of the time, with their crappy discrete 'vehicle sections' and linear levels.

And then when it did come out not only did it deliver on the promise of its visuals it turned out to be a revolution in gameplay design as well.

Sonic is a good shout as well. It's a Mega Drive game that I first played on a Sega Mega Bus so it's definitely a megagame.