Red Dead Redemption 2
Return of the Obra Dinn
Super Mario Odyssey
The Last Guardian
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Titanfall 2
Undertale
What Remains of Edith Finch

Only played two of these. How fucking cool am I.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

You watched the NoClip series on it? It's excellent.

My favourite bit of the series was the part where Amir thought that having Zagreus float in the air while firing the Adamant Rail was a great and cool idea. It's maybe harsh to laugh at this in isolation, as there must have been so many ideas discarded during development, but it was obviously such a beyond awful thought and he was going on about it for ages! :lol: The team had mocked it up for him and it looked SO terrible, yet he was still advocating for it to the bemusement of Greg Kasavin and the rest. It was amazing to see such a good designer going so hard to bat for something that was clearly a disaster.

Games of the Gen seems to be missing Fortnite or PUBG. Not my kind of games, but they have had a huge impact on the industry over the last few years.

And where is Witcher 3 on that list? A game that forced western RPG developers to really get their shit together. Hard to believe it came out only months after the most recent Dragon Age game, effectively bitch-slapping that franchise for the gen.

Good to see Titanfall 2 getting the love it deserves, though.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Interesting detail in the Xbox preview - Game Pass subscribers play more new games after they join the service, across more genres, including games they have to buy themselves.

Yeah, it's pretty surprising. I wonder if that's more to do with the mainstream rather than the enthusiast market who famously will cancel a preorder with an indie  to place an order with Amazon if they undercut by more than 9 pence.

1 hour ago, BossSaru said:

Games of the Gen seems to be missing Fortnite or PUBG. Not my kind of games, but they have had a huge impact on the industry over the last few years.

And where is Witcher 3 on that list? A game that forced western RPG developers to really get their shit together. Hard to believe it came out only months after the most recent Dragon Age game, effectively bitch-slapping that franchise for the gen.

Good to see Titanfall 2 getting the love it deserves, though.

It's not about impact or influence, the Games Of The Decade feature not so long ago focused on those.

Mad that they'd misprint Noita's 9/10 like that.

That GOTG list is really good. Personally I'd drop Inside (under the huge production budget it's still just a bog standard box2D platform game - and probably not even in the top 10 of *2D platform games* of the last gen), I can think of about two dozen games of a similar scope that I'd put ahead of it. There's the other big celebrated indies of course (Baba is You, Celeste, Gorogoa, etc.)... but I kind of want to say... Streets of Rage 4.

52 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

Personally I'd drop Inside (under the huge production budget it's still just a bog standard box2D platform game - and probably not even in the top 10 of *2D platform games* of the last gen), I can think of about two dozen games of a similar scope that I'd put ahead of it.

I could think of better platformers but I can't think of any slow paced platformers that hang together so well.  The mood, visuals, brutality and mild puzzle delight are top stuff.

Did you have a couple of game that do it better in mind?

Edit: that aren't metroidvanias, as they start off ok then start to grind my gears. :D

The thing about Inside... is that it's like a music video that's making clever cinematic references, rather than a full narrative piece in its own right. Each of the scenes feels internally consistent but if you take a step back there's no coherent throughline. It didn't feel like a game that had emerged from a backstory someone had written, rather that it was trying to nail together unrelated cool-seeming images. It's cheap JJ Abrams mystery rather than real depth.

I think seeing it on awards shortlists with The Last Guardian (the polar opposite in terms of design ethos) rubbed me up the wrong way.

I liked Inside but I it didn't blow me away as it seems to have done for some people. I'll admit I can't think of another 2D platform game from this gen that does a better job of what it's specifically trying to do.

18 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

The thing about Inside... is that it's like a music video that's making clever cinematic references, rather than a full narrative piece in its own right. Each of the scenes feels internally consistent but if you take a step back there's no coherent throughline. It didn't feel like a game that had emerged from a backstory someone had written, rather that it was trying to nail together unrelated cool-seeming images. It's cheap JJ Abrams mystery rather than real depth.

I think seeing it on awards shortlists with The Last Guardian (the polar opposite in terms of design ethos) rubbed me up the wrong way.

I consider it exactly the opposite. Brilliant central concept explored in the abstract within an appropriate and stylised time and place. It's very cleverly done and can only be built from the ground up.

15 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Inside was probably the peak of storytelling indies this gen though. Only Bloodborne did it better on that score.

I think Hades gives Bloodborne a run for its money, I enjoyed Inside thought their last game, Limbo, did the same thing better. 

In terms of straight story telling I thought Rime was one of the most affecting this gen, really under appreciated game imo. Last Guardian is a masterpiece imo too.

46 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think Hades gives Bloodborne a run for its money, I enjoyed Inside thought their last game, Limbo, did the same thing better. 

In terms of straight story telling I thought Rime was one of the most affecting this gen, really under appreciated game imo. Last Guardian is a masterpiece imo too.

If we're talking purely about story, I think SOMA impressed me most this gen.

Personal favourites I would have loved to see on this list are Astro Bot Rescue Mission, way more magical than the bloated Odyssey for me, and Arkane's stellar Prey, one of the greatest immersive sims ever made.

54 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

If we're talking purely about story, I think SOMA impressed me most this gen.

Personal favourites I would have loved to see on this list are Astro Bot Rescue Mission, way more magical than the bloated Odyssey for me, and Arkane's stellar Prey, one of the greatest immersive sims ever made.

Couldn’t agree more on Soma, one of my favourite games of all time. I didn’t think Mario Odyssey was bloated though :unsure:

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Couldn’t agree more on Soma, one of my favourite games of all time. I didn’t think Mario Odyssey was bloated though :unsure:

Yeah, it was for me unfortunately, so many of the moons felt like filler to me. I much prefered the more streamlined obstacle courses from 3D World. But I guess I'v always prefered that kind of design for Mario games to the more open ones, as awesome as 64 was at the time.

1 minute ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, it was for me unfortunately, so many of the moons felt like filler to me. I much prefered the more streamlined obstacle courses from 3D World. But I guess I'v always prefered that kind of design for Mario games to the more open ones, as awesome as 64 was at the time.

I didn’t get all the moons but I certainly enjoyed getting all the ones I did, found it pretty inventive throughout too - I would love to play Astro Bot mind but VR makes me vomit unfortunately :(

if anyone's interested in ghostrunner, and you know what you're getting yourself into, don't let the number 5 put you off, although i can see people hating it, i thought it was sort of awesome, filled with rediculous action, many deaths, frustration, and elation.

I got a hand-me-down iPad recently - I haven’t had an iPad since my old first generation Mini started chugging to the point of uselessness some years ago, but I did use it for Edge through the app. It was a really good experience. Anyway, I reloaded the hand-me-down and figured I’d see if all my magazines were still there and, for reasons I can’t explain, I’ve got every issue from the past year in there. I definitely haven’t bought them and I definitely haven’t had an active subscription for the period. 

I don’t feel too bad about it because I’ve actually bought loads of them in paper form, but it’s strange. The latest issue isn’t included, but I’ll probably buy it just to say thanks for the error in my favour!