Codemasters - A New Challenger Emerges?

I wonder if a ton of codemasters games will be hitting EA Access/GamePass soon? They have a pretty big back colleague.

Edit: Just had a look and they have not made a non racing game in nearly 10 years. And that was Dizzy on IOS. Damn

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I think any hope of a better Project Cars 4 just walked and I'd be surprised if Dirt Rally appears again.

Codemasters already secured the WRC license from 2023 onwards so that will happen. Though the Dirt Rally moniker may not be used anymore.

3 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Apart from the platform holders each having a racing game, are there any racing franchises outside of the EA/CM bubble? 

Wreckfest

Nascar

Assetto Corsa/Competizione

WRC for now

Moto GP

TT Isle of Man

Hotshots Racing

Test Drive 

5 hours ago, Ry said:

I wonder if a ton of codemasters games will be hitting EA Access/GamePass soon? They have a pretty big back colleague.

Edit: Just had a look and they have not made a non racing game in nearly 10 years. And that was Dizzy on IOS. Damn

I didn't consider that, quite possibly they will. It would make EA Access that much more compelling.

I'm going to end up with an Xbox at some point, I can see it now. 

3 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Codemasters already secured the WRC license from 2023 onwards so that will happen. Though the Dirt Rally moniker may not be used anymore.

Well yes there will be a Dirt 6, they still had the WRC licence when they started Dirt after all.

But a simulation focused Dirt Rally?

I don’t mind this. Obvs I would have preferred someone other than EA. 

I just want someone else to have a crack at an F1 games with a new approach, new ideas. I’m bored tf with the codies F1 games.

13 hours ago, McSpeed said:

I reckon we see one more? Dirt Rally 3.0. Must already be in production for a while, also given Dirt Rally 2.0 has 9 million players.

8 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that EA will let the F1 licence go anywhere for the foreseeable and some sort of Ultimate Team monetisation must be a given.

The "Create a team" thing added in 2020 would seem ripe for this.  I've not seen said mode then because F1 2020 wasn't in any meaningful way a sim of F1 2020.

14 hours ago, Dudley said:

Well yes there will be a Dirt 6, they still had the WRC licence when they started Dirt after all.

But a simulation focused Dirt Rally?

Codemasters never had the WRC license. It was Sony first, then Bigben and still is.

Also, DiRT Rally and its sequel are pretty proper sims :) Far more than the 'simcade' original DiRT line of games descending from Colin McRae Rally. DIRT 5 went all-in on the arcade side of things (close to DiRT Showdown).

But yeah, I'm expecting them to release something entirely new, rather sim-focused around the WRC license in 2023.

4 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I reckon we see one more? Dirt Rally 3.0. Must already be in production for a while, also given Dirt Rally 2.0 has 9 million players.

I would estimate a large part of those 9 million came in from the game being free on PlayStation Plus last year :) Which begs the question how active they really are...

Still, the more love for proper rally games, the better!

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Still, the more love for proper rally games, the better!

True. Although for now WRC 9 is filling all my needs on Series X. Stable 60fps rally racing and a fantastic lean presentation. Can't wait for WRC 10 to hit later this year. Shame they're losing the license to Codemasters.