PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Busines!

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Heh.  I was thinking the same last night.  I like Sony games and I own Sony consoles but I seem to have a weird dislike of some of the way they do things.   Not sure if that's a hangover of them thrashing Nintendo when N64 came out or just that they're the leader and I like me an underdog.

I hated Sony for that reason too, until I joined the dark side. Perhaps it wasn’t hate but fear. Fear that I erred and this electronics behemoth was going to render my wager and me obsolete. Is there really much of a difference? Also I consider Sony an underdog relative to MS. Maybe there’s something in that as well.

It's a weird one. Whenever Nintendo have wanted to show off a new gimmick in the past they've managed to do so in a joyful, charming manner - Nintendoland's various uses of the gamepad, Mario 64 DS's touchscreen minigames, both n64 launch titles' emphasis on analogue controls.

And then there's 1-2 Switch, which is just a deeply charmless, utterly throwaway nothing of a game, despite being designed as a Switch party game showing off its various features (e.g. Joycon flexibility, HD Rumble). It's an odd, disappointing thing.

I appreciate this has been discussed a little already, but the real problem with both new consoles, as we all agree, is that they don't fit in with my specific Gaming Layout.

I mean, look at this:

147451641_ThePerfectSetup20201110cropped.thumb.jpg.cefeed6af02302be536e344b6d28cbe8.jpg

This is undeniable perfection. And where, pray tell, is an Xbox mini-fridge going to live, never mind a gargantuan PS5? And were I to find a space for either of them (perhaps the Series X could be put into the corner of shame behind the right speaker; feasibly the PS5 could live on top of the AV receiver), what would I do with the unsightly gap left by their elder sibling? Whence source I a companion for the original Xbox? How to resolve the sudden break in my careful black/white contrast of a top shelf?

It's a travesty, I tell you.

What is floor space, if not space to be used? Madness.

(also, having the record player there adds the frisson of excitement when playing music that you might feasibly kick the player or walk too heavily and thus permanently damage your record! Ideal)

32 minutes ago, Wiper said:

What is floor space, if not space to be used? Madness.

(also, having the record player there adds the frisson of excitement when playing music that you might feasibly kick the player or walk too heavily and thus permanently damage your record! Ideal)

Fucking Atari players, bunch of animals.

Yeah, they have.

It wasn't their plan really, but their big launch game (Halo Infinite) got indefinitely delayed.

By the time it happened, it was probably too late to delay the console too. They needed to come out before the PS5.

But I don't think they're THAT bothered about selling the new consoles, so long as they can get more people subscribing to Game Pass. It's a different tack than Sony have taken. I'd still have really liked some shiny launch exclusives, mind.

1 minute ago, Scribblor said:

Yeah, they have.

It wasn't their plan really, but their big launch game (Halo Infinite) got indefinitely delayed.

that would also have been on Xbox One - Keith's Dad is right it is utterly pointless I can't see how we have all been so blind

Obviously the plan was to launch with Halo leading the charge. I own a 1X with GP so without Halo, I'm in no rush to buy one right now. Had Halo lived up to expectations, I'd be over a grand lighter in the wallet this month as opposed to just over six hundred.

Microsoft's entire push was that there wouldn't be first party "series" exclusives for a period of time - everything was going to work on Xbox One including Halo Infinite. And those games get a free upgrade to the Series verison when you upgrade via Smart Delivery.

third partys can do what they like regarding nextgen exclusive and smart delivery... and I think the first Series exclusive is Medium in Jan?

So you don't need to be day 1 at all and your games upgrade with you it is a decent idea but it makes the new console seem "less" to some

7 minutes ago, Clipper said:

that would also havew been on Xbox One - Keith's Dad is right it is utterly pointless I can't see how we have all been so blind

Well, that's why I'm asking the question. I'm getting a PS5 at some point anyway, seeing as I've missed out on the last 3 or 4 years of PS4 games, but I'm struggling to see what the Series X is offering that's worth 400 quid. And that's coming from someone who bought 3 separate versions of the 360. What are the selling points?

Just now, Keiths_Dad said:

Well, that's why I'm asking the question. I'm getting a PS5 at some point anyway, seeing as I've missed out on the last 3 or 4 years of PS4 games, but I'm struggling to see what the Series X is offering that's worth 400 quid. And that's coming from someone who bought 3 separate versions of the 360. What are the selling points?

Well for some people it's not made by Sony and it isn't called a PlayStation, but that's the only reason I can see that would cause grown adults to look at the offerings and decide to part with £450 quid for the console that's the same as the one under their TV already.

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

Well for some people it's not made by Sony and it isn't called a PlayStation, but that's the only reason I can see that would cause grown adults to look at the offerings and decide to part with £450 quid for the console that's the same as the one under their TV already.

Yep that would be the only reason you can see

:sherlock:

:D

5 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

:rolleyes: 

For me, it was a combination of things.

Top ones were:

I've only got a launch Xbox One, so most of the games coming out now run like shit on it anyway.

My son really wants a console in his room, and buying a new Series console lets me give the Xbox One to him while massively upgrading my gaming experience.

I couldn't get a PS5 and do the same thing because I'd have to give up my Xbox and that's where most of my friends play.

Just now, Scribblor said:

:rolleyes: 

For me, it was a combination of things.

Top ones were:

I've only got a launch Xbox One, so most of the games coming out now run like shit on it anyway.

My son really wants a console in his room, and buying a new Series console lets me give that to him while massively upgrading my gaming experience.

I couldn't get a PS5 and do the same thing because I'd have to give up my Xbox and that's where most of my friends play.

Well fuck that's an incredibly well reasoned argument to my shit post.

But also, y'know, in the spirit of the thread:

The PS5 is the size of a house and looks like utter shit. And the sticks are in the wrong place on the controller*

*though by all accounts the haptics in it are awesome and I really want a PS5 for Demon's Souls and the pretty version of Miles Morales

13 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

But also, y'know, in the spirit of the thread:

The PS5 is the size of a house and looks like utter shit. And the sticks are in the wrong place on the controller*

*though by all accounts the haptics in it are awesome and I really want a PS5 for Demon's Souls and the pretty version of Miles Morales

Bu also, y’know, in the spirit of the thread:

The XBox One Series 1 Xtra Small or whatever it’s called is a fucking mini tower from the spares cupboard with a disc on one side so that it can only go round in circles. Mario Kart Home Circuit shits all over it.

:P