IGNORED

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!

rafaqat

9 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Annoying that tearing is on both consoles and frame drops too. 

Given that these consoles have been shoved on us by the two manufacturers, we should be expecting a full 60fps at all times no matter what, with no tearing. 

Poor effort from the engineering teams at Sony and MS, and especially the devs at Ubi. 

Hysterical much?

Yeah but who actually cares? The console wars willy waving is pathetic. 

I drive a banged up piece of shit fiesta to work everyday. I don't stop at every set of lights and goofballs wind their windows down and tell me how amazing and more fuel efficient their tesla is. 

People should just make their choice, or make both and just deal with it. I had ps4 and pro all last gen, I went xbox this gen. I really couldn't give a fuck and I love my series x. I couldn't give two hoots of Gooners ps5 drops one less frame on champ manager or sonic the hedgehog has three extra spikes. 

When did gaming  stop being about actually playing and enjoying the games? It's pathetic. 

What I've read is that Sony upgraded the PS4 dev. environment for PS5 meaning that developers could get up and running pretty quickly with familiar tools. Microsoft supposedly decided to create a new solution that allows developers to target Xbox One, SeriesX|S and PC. It'll pay off in the long run, but there are going to be teething issues.

There are also differences in the approach to GPUs. Sony has a faster clock speed. Microsoft has more CUs. It's not as simple as X > Y.

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

Not at all. Half of, if not most of the enjoyment from an assassins creed game is the spectacle, and this slapdash effort isn’t quite what you would expect from a £60 game and a £450 console. 

Not really. If you'd spent £1500 on a PC and you get these issues (and you occasionally do!) that might be reason to he upset I guess.

It's all relative in the end I guess. Will a few issues destroy your entertainment of the game probably not. If it stresses you that much just don't buy the game on your platform they will get the idea. But people will buy it and moan. Seems to be the way.

If it's that bad it will get patched I guess.

Funny how it mattered when Xbox One X was in the lead, it mattered when I said there wouldn't be much in it between PS5 and XSX despite the on paper difference, it mattered when Phil Spencer said the Series X is 'The most powerful console ever' but now it doesn't matter and you think we will see parity before long. :lol: we need more mature tools, Direct X 12 has only been in use since 2015, it's not a fair comparison.

"The most powerful console ever"

They should update the Xbox marketing to 'Xbox Series X, as shit at multiplatform games as Carlospie is at pro clubs'

tenor.gif?itemid=9505807

29 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Yeah but who actually cares? The console wars willy waving is pathetic. 

I drive a banged up piece of shit fiesta to work everyday. I don't stop at every set of lights and goofballs wind their windows down and tell me how amazing and more fuel efficient their tesla is. 

People should just make their choice, or make both and just deal with it. I had ps4 and pro all last gen, I went xbox this gen. I really couldn't give a fuck and I love my series x. I couldn't give two hoots of Gooners ps5 drops one less frame on champ manager or sonic the hedgehog has three extra spikes. 

When did gaming  stop being about actually playing and enjoying the games? It's pathetic. 

Meanwhile in boring world

5 hours ago, Thor said:

It should, but it will never output Dolby Vision. So it's dogshit in that department … if you have a DV capable TV of course. 

Mate...

We defo already had the Dolby Vision discussion, but people really really need to not freak out about it because:

a) Dolby Vision implementation is still very variable - even to the point that depending on the source, HDR10+ is sometimes better regarded.

b) Neither console UHD drive will compare to a good quality separate UHD BD player, so there's an inherent quality limitation which mitigates any differences.

c) Video streams will be compromising on visual quality significantly beyond any variance in DV/HDR10+.

For the consoles, in practice, it's little more than marketing. I'm all for DV, but it'll mean very little for watching movies on consoles. 

DV gaming is intriguing, though. 

14 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Neither console UHD drive will compare to a good quality separate UHD BD player, so there's an inherent quality limitation which mitigates any differences.

I've always found this idea really odd. It's streaming image data from a disc to a TV over an entirely digital process from disc to HDMI input, what possible difference (beyond drive noise and player features) is there?

Just now, Spacehost said:

I've always found this idea really odd. It's streaming image data from a disc to a TV over an entirely digital process from disc to HDMI input, what possible difference (beyond drive noise and player features) is there?

There's stuff like this:

Although to be fair, I can't say that I noticed when I actually used it last night.

7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Hang on, the 1X can pay 4k discs can't it? The SX can't? 

The One S, One X and Series X support 4K discs. They don't support Dolby Vision HDR included on the discs, even though Dolby Vision is supported on the system for apps like Netflix and will be supported for games soon on Series X|S. HDR10 is used instead.

1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

The One S, One X and Series X support 4K discs. They don't support Dolby Vision HDR included on the discs, even though Dolby Vision is supported on the system for apps like Netflix and will be supported for games soon on Series X|S. HDR10 is used instead.

Ah right, that makes more sense. 

9 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

That data is being processed. That's the long and short of it. Upscaling is also a factor and there's a difference between BD players.

As a rhetorical comparison, are all amplifiers identical? Are all CD players identical? Are all DAPs identical? Video and no different. 

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Yep just wait until the games start rolling out from a developer renowned for producing cutting edge high quality games, maybe Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla etc. :P.

Don’t worry I’m sure the Xbox will get great games too, in a few years, probably, fingers crossed. At least there’s Gamepass until then, that’s why they’re allowing you to load up for 3 years :D:omg:.

Supose you need something to console yourself with as you wave goodbye to 70 big ones per game.:P

12 minutes ago, Marlew said:

That data is being processed. That's the long and short of it. Upscaling is also a factor and there's a difference between BD players.

As a rhetorical comparison, are all amplifiers identical? Are all CD players identical? Are all DAPs identical? Video and no different. 

Is it being processed though? I thought the idea of it being digital was that, standards compliance withstanding, the same bitstream winds up arriving at the TV. I'm not 100% on this obviously, it's not my usual domain. Like, if the Xbox Series X is sending the wrong black levels, that's a bug, not a qualitative difference the team at Microsoft tuned the console to provide.

Analogue is different though, there's a near infinite level of variance possible in a DAC, which is why you would spend silly money on a DVD player in the day.

11 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Supose you need something to console yourself with as you wave goodbye to 70 big ones per game.:P

:) Yes. £70. Ouch. Makes 3 years of game pass seem cheap. 

I have a barrier of around £45 max per game. Personally don't think any game is worth £70. I know there is plenty of entertainment hours in that but £70?!. One game. No. Oh either console. I like shiny games but there has to be a change in gameplay to warrant that. Don't want the same old game engines with shiner graphics and paying £70. 

Just downloaded Halo MCC - how many remastered Halo games there? As part of Game Pass? I picked it up long before GamePass was a thing for £40. It looks and plays well even now and there is a lot of content there. Even upgraded shinies on the Series S and X. 

Part of the reason I went with Xbox again is because of GamePass. I always find something on there to play.

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Not at all. Half of, if not most of the enjoyment from an assassins creed game is the spectacle, and this slapdash effort isn’t quite what you would expect from a £60 game and a £450 console. 

You can’t have a spectacle anyway when bushes pop up in front of you. All this talk about fps and resolutions mean little when the world pops into existence as you walk by or run. That would be a truly next gen immersion feature.