PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!

rafaqat

5 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

The embargo in 3rd party titles are really annoying. I am thinking about buying AC Valhalla but can't decide on platform. 

I need an AC Valhalla XSX vs PS5 digital foundry deep dive. 

If you’re in the U.K. just don’t buy it in advance, then buy it digitally on the 10th or however you like the following week.

46 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Ill tell you what. From a factual perspective, for the BBC, that’s not a bad article.

It’s much better than their usual shit, but they somehow manage to avoid answering the title of their own article.

I’ll open up another avenue of discussion. Sony has NEVER had the better controller... until now, it appears. When going from PS5 to Series X, will we miss the Dual Sense haptic goodies? Could this affect which system we buy third party games on more than the slightly higher power of the Series X? I had assumed I’d go Series X for any third party games that didn’t look like they’d be on Game Pass, but now I’m not so sure.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Why did you put the PS5 first in the topic title, @Talvalin? I see where your loyalties lie!

I figured if I put Xbox first, someone might bring me up on that, but not the other way around! :P

Funnily enough, I have to admit that I'm  more tempted by a PS5 at the moment, simply because there are a tonne of PS4 games I've wanted to play for ages (Spider-Man being top of that list), plus the new Demon's Souls.

When Halo Infinite eventually shows up that'll be when I get on board for the Series X.

5 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I’ll open up another avenue of discussion. Sony has NEVER had the better controller... until now, it appears. When going from PS5 to Series X, will we miss the Dual Sense haptic goodies? Could this affect which system we buy third party games on more than the slightly higher power of the Series X? I had assumed I’d go Series X for any third party games that didn’t look like they’d be on Game Pass, but now I’m not so sure.

I reckon the dual sense is going to rattle itself to death in 6 months. Yet another cynical money grab from $ony. 

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Call me a fanboy if you will, but I don't think I could ever get used to the symmetrical stick placement of the PlayStation controllers, so I'm probably going to continue buying Xbox versions.

That said, for multiplayer games I'd consider the PS5 version simply because the Xbox multiplayer scene in Japan is dead for anything other than Gears 5. Woe is me.

13 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I'm excited for the dual sense. It does sound amazing. 

But there is no doubt in my mind that the Xbox pad will be far more comfortable for actually playing games. PlayStation symmetrical sticks will always be dogshit for me. 

17 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

It's the one thing that has raised my FOMO. I will get a PS5 but had not intended to get one till the first revision in 2-3 years. However now, I might consider getting it sooner if I get a bonus or something. 

I do think that its just potential at the moment. Astro's Playroom, despite being a good length is in part a tech demo where they have sat down and designed the game around the controller. There are not many games that this is going to be the case with so how much impact if has really depends on its ongoing use by developers. I think as well that as it settles in in could get less impactful or dare I say it annoying. Again though, I love the idea but its all in the ongoing execution. 

I do think though that it gives the PS5 the 'next gen' feelz and its not a surprise that the press are picking up on that, along with the other bits like the 4K redesigned UI and that it looks like Saurons castle. 

One thing thats annoying me that MS are not talking about is 3D audio. Sony are bigging it up but MS have had it for some time via Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos or even DTS. Yes its a typical situation where MS give you multiple choices and Sony BRAND the shit out of it but why are MS not talking about their 3D offerings more? I assume they're pretty much the same but I have no idea if one is particularly better than the other. Maybe its one of the things that is still under embargo. 

12 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I figured if I put Xbox first, someone might bring me up on that, but not the other way around! :P

Funnily enough, I have to admit that I'm  more tempted by a PS5 at the moment, simply because there are a tonne of PS4 games I've wanted to play for ages (Spider-Man being top of that list), plus the new Demon's Souls.

When Halo Infinite eventually shows up that'll be when I get on board for the Series X.

I’m trying to convince myself that getting both plus 2 Series S before Christmas is a good idea!

3 hours ago, BarryL85 said:

Two things here for me. When digital foundry did the external SSD comparison with the internal on the XSX, the loading times were within 1 or 2 seconds at most and look at the speed difference between the internal and external drives used its vast. This makes me wonder what the real life PS5 SSD speed advantage will actually be over the XSX.

That test was only with legacy software, which, cannot use the new direct storage api, the code has to be  written to use it.

So, old games installed will only load as fast as a regular ssd, even if installed internally, thats why there is no difference. same as on the fastest nvme drive in the world and a regular ssd, they load the same (maybe a second  difference), as the software cant use the speed.

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh man. And then games which loaded each level separately. Finish level 1, wait 10 minutes to load level 2. Die because games back then were merciless. Rewind the tape all the way to spend 15 minutes loading level 1 again. Kids these days just have no idea!

We can't just ignore this childhood trauma I just dredged up through fault of this thread. My parents cheaped out getting a tape deck for the C64 I needed for school home work, honest, which meant I had to wait so long for games to load that I always got all my homework done during the interminable loading screens!

....oh.

Another consideration is whether the console offers a unique experience not found better elsewhere (PC).

MS seem to be going for the SX as an extension of Gamepass model whereas I think Sony have made getting a PS5 more compelling with emphasis on exclusive games, the unique pad and storage I/O. PSVR2 potentially adds to that sense.

if there’s a Series X game I really really want, I’ll get the 3080(ti).

Although that one time the tape loading worked to my advantage with Batman The Movie The Video Game. It loaded level 1. Then another load for 2, 3, and 4. And finally another load for final level 5. I got so fed up dying at the end of 3 and 4, or just about reaching 5 with one measly life left - in frustration I didn't rewind that one time back to level 1. So the game loaded level 5 even though I died... and then I appeared in 5 with infinite lives! Felt really good about that. Finished the game many times after that but never legitimately. 

Kids today have no clue with their fancy newfangled SSDesses.

I used to have a screwdriver for the C64 and would have to fractionally adjust a screw on the tape deck multiple times before a game would load.  You could have a game loading for 5 minutes or so only for it to crash if you made a sudden movement or noise, then have to adjust the screw to go again.:blah::blah::blah:

Still made you appreciate games more when you finally managed to get one to load.:lol:

23 minutes ago, Meat said:

Another consideration is whether the console offers a unique experience not found better elsewhere (PC).

Stop assuming everyone has a beefy PC, and if they have one, actually wants to play on it. Also: PlayStation games will also come to PC, more and more until they're in the same boat as Xbox. There is too much money to be made there, and they desperately need that money since whole of Sony depends on it for its survival. 

And why is an experience not unique if it can be had elsewhere? According to that logic: I can also play Spiderman on a PS4, Demon Souls, the first 3 Uncharted games, The Last of Us on a PS3 and Horizon and Death Stranding on a PC. And most of those games are sequels, which by definition are not very unique. 

Also: most of those games can now also be streamed on mobile and PC and Mac on, you guessed it... PS Now. What a magical world we live in!

31 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Although that one time the tape loading worked to my advantage with Batman The Movie The Video Game. It loaded level 1. Then another load for 2, 3, and 4. And finally another load for final level 5. I got so fed up dying at the end of 3 and 4, or just about reaching 5 with one measly life left - in frustration I didn't rewind that one time back to level 1. So the game loaded level 5 even though I died... and then I appeared in 5 with infinite lives! Felt really good about that. Finished the game many times after that but never legitimately. 

Kids today have no clue with their fancy newfangled SSDesses.

One of the UK C64 magazines - possibly Commodore Format - had a regular section for cheats, hints and POKEs, and it would mention the game that the cheat was for, and what the cheat was. In one issue, they listed a trick that was for "Every single Ocean game?" and mentioned that most of their games allowed you to skip levels if you didn't rewind after reaching a game over (because it just loaded whatever was next on the tape, which was the following level...) Definitely the kind of innovative loading features missing from the new gen.

41 minutes ago, Meat said:

If there’s a Series X game I really really want, I’ll get the 3080(ti).

As someone with a high-end gaming PC (well, high-ish; it's a year behind the bleeding edge; 2080 Ti, Ryzen 7 3700x, all cooled with a custom loop), the fact that a good portion of Xbox games (particularly MS ones) are also on PC does make the prospect of a Series X somewhat less exciting to me. But arguing that you could simply purchase a graphics card which, alone, costs more than a Series X, to bolt onto your PC which, I'm going to guess, cost more than a Series X as well, is not quite as strong a criticism as you seem to suggest.

(also, the fact that Microsoft routinely release their games on PC is a cause for celebration as far as I'm concerned, and I'd rather reward that behaviour than Sony's mostly closed house)

I do get why, if you do have a gaming PC, a Series X is a somewhat less exciting prospect. For me, if I were to get one, it would primarily be as a lounge companion to my PC; a convenient way to play games on the couch, rather than a thrilling new experience. But 'you could just buy a gaming PC/fancy graphics card' always feels like false equivalence, when said gaming PC/card is going to cost more, be considerably larger, and almost certainly handle niceties like HDR a lot less well than a Series X.

Comparing it directly to the PS5 and saying the games the Series X has are less compelling to you, obviously, is a completely reasonable argument; I just find the "it's worthless because you could just get a new PC/graphics card" argument a bit disingenuous.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Sorry, I didn’t realise stating the bleeding obvious was regarded as fanboy nonsense. As you were. 

Well you didn't just state the obvious, you spouted hyperbole like the Xbox platform has no games. 

Then you post James Van Der Beek. 

So aye. 

• rafaqat changed the title to PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!