PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!

rafaqat

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

I mean, it was.

And don't worry everybody: I tabulated the data, and have come up with a scoring system that everyone will agree with! 

Assuming everyone is me, and thus agrees with specific things such as "Demon's Souls is rubbish", "the only good first-party Sony output comes from Team Asobi, Team Ico (RIP) and Sony Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis (RIP)", "I want to be able to output to my 1440p monitor", "I also want to be able to take full advantage of variable refresh rate on my HDMI 2.1 TV", and "Panzer Dragoon Orta is one of the greatest games of the past two decades". Which definitely seems likely.

Anyway, here's the table, which will definitely put all arguments to rest and render this thread irrelevant.

image.png.3b6e92cceb552dbcad4a0a093049413e.png

You need to check your power consumption figures :sherlock:

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I’ll open up another avenue of discussion. Sony has NEVER had the better controller... until now, it appears. When going from PS5 to Series X, will we miss the Dual Sense haptic goodies? Could this affect which system we buy third party games on more than the slightly higher power of the Series X? I had assumed I’d go Series X for any third party games that didn’t look like they’d be on Game Pass, but now I’m not so sure.

I have absolutely preferred every Sony controller over the Xbox equivalent. 

From the DS2 vs. "The Duke" to the bone pad vs. the DS4. The Playstation equvilent was always smaller therefore fit my hands better and I like the stick placement better. Also the Playstation controller d-pads are actually good. 

It's all subjective innit. Some people play Dark Souls with a guitar hero controller. 

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

You need to check your power consumption figures :sherlock:

Yeah, I saw layte's figures (from Tom's Hardware) didn't match mine (from Digital Foundry); I'm going to wait for a few more outlets to give me nice, solid figures on standby wattage, before changing my spreadsheet.

Either way, all of them do put the Series X as having double-figures standby, though, which is disappointing either way; but yeah, just over 10 would be far preferable to pushing 30.

14 minutes ago, layten said:

Only if the text can be in various shades of brown.

The monitor my parents bought me was various shades of green. To this day full colour screenshots of C64 games look wrong to me.

I'm thinking "PlayStation 5 versus Commodore 64 versus Xbox Series X - fight!" for the thread title

7 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I’ll open up another avenue of discussion. Sony has NEVER had the better controller... until now, it appears. When going from PS5 to Series X, will we miss the Dual Sense haptic goodies? Could this affect which system we buy third party games on more than the slightly higher power of the Series X? I had assumed I’d go Series X for any third party games that didn’t look like they’d be on Game Pass, but now I’m not so sure.

In your opinion.

When the Xbox One launched I couldn't stand the controller.

The shoulder buttons were so weird, they pivot from the inside edge and were only really functional it you pressed them on the very outside edge. If you tried to press the button near the inside edge nothing happened it was solid.

The analogue sticks also felt light as a feather to move and coming from the 360 this was such an odd change. They were also taller, again making it feel so different from the controller I felt most comfortable with. 

I hated the Dual Shock 3 controller at this point and I was petrified that I wouldn't have a controller i'd like this gen but when I got my PS4 i realised the Dual Shock 4 was heavily designed to resemble the 360 controller and it felt amazing. I always preferred the asymmetric sticks but with the DS4 it didn't matter as they are spaced far enough apart that my thumbs didn't collide in the middle, they felt almost exactly like the 360 sticks, same weight and throw and were concave. Shoulder buttons and triggers, perfect.

I should say though, Microsoft slowly but surely changed the issues I had with it, the shoulder buttons were revised 4 times I think and finally felt good, then they released the elite controller which I absolutely love.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The monitor my parents bought me was various shades of green. To this day full colour screenshots of C64 games look wrong to me.

I'm thinking "PlayStation 5 versus Commodore 64 versus Xbox Series X - fight!" for the thread title

hang on are you SURE you didn't have the poverty spec Amstrad CPC464.

(well I mean they were all poverty spec as they were Amstrads FFS)

EDIT - I wsn't going to but it feels so wrong/right to tag in @Nathan Wind

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

All the better it isn’t there, you might have to actually put in the effort and respond - shock horror.

on a home computer "fight" from over 30 years ago?

I guess it is marginally "better" for 40soemthing men to argue over 35 year old 8 bit wars rather than them arguing over two almost identical platforms now!

but to be blunt after 35 years it would kind of feel and look like the ending scenes from Rocky 1/2 where the two combatants stumble to their feet in round 15 to launch their punches then both collapse for a ten count

Just now, Clipper said:

on a home computer "fight" from over 30 years ago?

I guess it is marginally "better" for 40soemthing men to argue over 35 year old 8 bit wars rather than them arguing over two almost identical platforms now!

Not really identical are they - one actually has a launch roster the other has -checks notes- great value. 

Just now, Stanley said:

Not really identical are they - one actually has a launch roster the other has -checks notes- great value. 

never change rllmuk... i hope we are all here when we hare 50+ and 60+ arhuing the toss over PS6/XBOXfinalversion_X  and PS7/XBOXfinalversion_definite_vfinal_v2.X. Fuck you the PS7 sucks because I can't buy enough £80 games with my pension whereas XBOXfinalversion_definite_vfinal_v2.X brings me milky tea and biscuits with GamePass retired edition.

One has a remaster and some cross gen titles. The other has a console exclusive and some cross gen titles. Neither are great, neither can really claim to be much better than the other.

if you’re going to count MM, you needs to count Gears Tactics etc etc. There are no winners here, it’s slim pickings for everyone.

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

One has a remaster and some cross gen titles. The other has a console exclusive and some cross gen titles. Neither are great, neither can really claim to be much better than the other.

if you’re going to count MM, you needs to count Gears Tactics etc etc. There are no winners here, it’s slim pickings for everyone.

Each to their own, but Demon’s Souls, Spider-Man and Astro Bot, along with the new pad, all look a lot better than anything MS has to offer - what’s their console exclusive btw? 

Don’t get me wrong, DS looks epic - but I just don’t feel like either console is ready on the software side. They’re about to be out, but it seems clear to me that global events have hit the software lineups hard. I can’t believe Sony planned just what they have, and we know full well that MS didn’t.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Oh right, yeah they seem pretty good too

i guess :unsure:

What a plum. I love it. 

Why do you feel the need to be so happy that your console is a tiny bit better presented than the other one at this point in time. 

The fact that you’re not so keen on the other machines titles or are just going along with the narrative that the PS5 is ‘true next gen’ doesn’t mean you have to start blowing raspberries. 

• rafaqat changed the title to PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!