PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!

rafaqat

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

I think a ‘proper’ remaster of the original MGS would be fascinating.

Rumours abound today that a remake is coming, and sadly for console warriors to all major platforms (So PlayStation, Switch and PC then lololol).

Think the problem Sony will have is combating Game Pass. And the fact that so many of the big AAA exclusives are so far in the future 2022/23 even 2024 in some cases. And they cost £70 a pop (I know you can get discounts etc with PSN cards etc RRP is still £70). At least you can get the disks pre-owned I guess (which is what I have done with the exclusives I've played so far).

I've had a PS5 now for the best part of 5 months. The controller is really impressive (when its used well) but after playing through Astrobot (which is great and demonstrates the system and upgrades really well) I've not played anything that really engages me:-

Ratchet and Clank - looks and sounds lovely, uses the controller well but it feels like a PS2 game in terms of gameplay. Only paid £30 for this so no big shakes I guess... not worth the £70 asking price though IMHO.

Returnal - Again looks/sounds great but not sure about the game it is certainly different but lack of save on a potentially a 2 hour "level" makes things a bit challenging. However this is when viewed from a traditional video game progression story arc. Guessing if you just look at it as an arcade game with no end then makes more sense. The world does change slightly when you make another return to it. Its and interesting concept. Again glad I didn't pay £70 for it though TBH.

Think the main issue for me is I've had Game Pass for a long while now and really used to having a play on something before I invest time into something. An extra barrier to that on PS5 is having to actually pay for things to give them a try. OK Sony recently did the trial thing but its no match for having the full game to play. And if you want to go on you have to pay anyway. If I'd have bought the two exclusive games digitally they would have cost me £140(!) - think this is more than a years worth of GamePass Ultimate (£10.99 pcm?)

For me so far this generation I've had more value not out of any console I have owned but the Game Pass service itself. Whether I've been streaming it, playing on a console or PC.

PS Now is their Gamepass. It's not as good, but if you desire a big library of banging games for a monthly fee, that's your thing. They need to expand that (assuming if they even want to compete head to head with Gamepass, though as a basic step it definitely it needs to start to encompass PS5).

11 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

PS Now is their Gamepass. It's not as good, but if you desire a big library of banging games for a monthly fee, that's your thing. They need to expand that (if they even want to compete head to head, though definitely it needs to start to encompass PS5).

Indeed needs some PS5 content.

Think the other area MS are doing well at is upgrading current games to make use of the power of new hardware where Sony are charging for it? Just seems a bit crazy from a consumer point of view, I mean can you imagine if devcos/publishers started charging you for running a PC game on higher spec hardware! :D 

Not sure. I get that manufacturers make money on the software and services rather than the actual hardware itself (razor/razor blade model) but just think there is a bit too much money grabbing going on for me from Sony side (IMHO of course). 

Anyhow ultimately I think once I'm done catching up on any PS4/5 content I'll move the PS5 on mainly because if I had to make a choice I will stick with Game Pass Ultimate - all subbed up until 2023, enjoying the content and finally actually completing more games on there.

I'll keep one of my dual sense controllers for the PC though as some games are now supporting its features which is nice.

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Reminding people that it exists and isn’t just a streaming service would be a good start.

Indeed I was reading up on PS Now the other day in fact.

Its £8.99 a month and you can download all PS4 games to play locally. You do need to also have an active sub to PSN+ though so incurs an additional cost (as far as I understand it anyway).

In the end depends what works for you I guess.

If the Game Pass model is where all the money is to be made, why aren't Sony pushing PS Now more and putting their first party games on it day one?

The fact that their profits have been going up and up, year on year indicates to the money men nothing needs to change surely?

15 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

PS Now is their Gamepass. It's not as good, but if you desire a big library of banging games for a monthly fee, that's your thing. They need to expand that (assuming if they even want to compete head to head with Gamepass, though as a basic step it definitely it needs to start to encompass PS5).

Don’t they also have the “PlayStation Plus Collection” thing? I thought that was going to end up being “their Gamepass” but I don’t know if they plan to do anything else with it…

(disclaimer: I don’t have Now, or Game Pass, or a PS5/Series, so I probably don’t know what I’m on about…)

2 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Don’t they also have the “PlayStation Plus Collection” thing? I thought that was going to end up being “their Gamepass” but I don’t know if they plan to do anything else with it…

(disclaimer: I don’t have Now, or Game Pass, or a PS5/Series, so I probably don’t know what I’m on about…)

Yes they have a collection of PS4 games when you sub to PSN+ for the PS5. Although you cannot get access to these if you have a PS4 and PSN+ sub for some reason (mate who has a PS4 + PSN+ cannot get them).

8 minutes ago, AI said:

If the Game Pass model is where all the money is to be made, why aren't Sony pushing PS Now more and putting their first party games on it day one?

The fact that their profits have been going up and up, year on year indicates to the money men nothing needs to change surely?

Indeed. So no reason to change I guess. Long term though not so sure as its early days and as GP gets more traction Sony will need to do something maybe. Who knows. PS5 (despite the pandemic) is the fastest selling PS yet. So they are clearly doing something right.

I guess its mostly one of eco-systems though. Playstation consoles have a larger user base so guess most of that userbase will just switch to the next iteration of hardware and continue.

I think this is why MS are really hammering GP and making it appealing. Change over to the Xbox ecosystem and all you need to do is pay £10.99 a month and not have to rebuy some of your games. Not sure.

In the end having MS there as competition is good.

They could plug that No first party games on subscription service by doing an EA style play their games for x hours on launch.  But then they're making silly money as it is so why bother.

1 hour ago, AI said:

Lack of infrastructure? Lack of foresight? Belief that the traditional model will not change?

Microsoft have become ludicrously profitable, even more so than they ever were from transitioning to a cloud based SaaS model. I guess they think gaming will go the way that the rest of the software industry is going, and being the first to make the jump will pay off in the long run.

Thinking that nothing will ever change when competitors are rolling the dice on potentially industry shaking propositions worked out well for Nokia.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Indeed I was reading up on PS Now the other day in fact.

Its £8.99 a month and you can download all PS4 games to play locally. You do need to also have an active sub to PSN+ though so incurs an additional cost (as far as I understand it anyway).

In the end depends what works for you I guess.

Yeah, it's a good service. And actually you don't need PS+ at all (even to play online games!)

Definitely shop around too, you can get cheap subs off CDKeys and the like.

55 minutes ago, AI said:

I suspect they will but it's going to see a rebrand / relaunch in the near future and then a drive from there. What's holding up on that is anyone's guess but the actual content on PS Now isn't so bad these day's. There must be more behind the scene's which is holding them back from driving it forwards more though.

11 minutes ago, layten said:

Lack of infrastructure? Lack of foresight? Belief that the traditional model will not change?

Microsoft have become ludicrously profitable, even more so than they ever were from transitioning to a could based SaaS model. I guess they think gaming will go the way that the rest of the software industry is going, and being the first to make the jump will pay off in the long run.

Thinking that nothing will ever change when competitors are rolling the dice on potentially industry shaking propositions worked out well for Nokia.

This is the thing. I can see gaming ultimately going the same way as every other sub service for media out there - no matter how long people resist. Old school gaming will still exist - in the same way you can buy blu-ray / DVDs - however it will be more of a niche thing than the norm.

Think MS are leading by example. Not sure how it will pan out long term of gaming but its a model that people now understand and going by the number of subs GP is getting are buying into.

And shame about Nokia good example of not embracing change though. I still have a  Nokia phone... :D Its Android though and designed by HMD (still a Finnish company). 

I guess the other side of the coin is that Sony have done their own analysis, and think it's not worth it to spend all that resource on competing against Game Pass now. I would have thought that if they thought Game Pass was significantly influencing the balance of power, they could beef up their own offering fairly quickly given that PSNow is up and running, albeit quietly - they can cut the price, stick Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and GT7 on there from launch, buy up more games, etc etc.

4 minutes ago, K said:

I guess the other side of the coin is that Sony have done their own analysis, and think it's not worth it to spend all that resource on competing against Game Pass now. I would have thought that if they thought Game Pass was significantly influencing the balance of power, they could beef up their own offering fairly quickly given that PSNow is up and running, albeit quietly - they can cut the price, stick Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and GT7 on there from launch, buy up more games, etc etc.

Indeed I expect they could react/change quite quickly if necessary. Whose to say they aren't already working on it in the background guessing it takes time to get the publishers onboard etc?

For me it would be fantastic if they also did the same as MS and put an PS app on the PC. Then I could just beef up my PC (well upgrade it a fair bit TBH) and play everything there in one place. 

quickly, realty??

im pretty sure the reason sony don't promote ps now, is they lack the physical hardware to offer it on a massive scale.

when you connect to a streaming game, you are connecting to a physical server blade which contains the hardware for the system. They don't have massive numbers like MS do, as MS have spent years building up xlcoud infrastructure

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

They don't have massive numbers like MS do, as MS have spent years building up xlcoud infrastructure

As far as I understand Sony have been offering streaming cloud gaming far longer than MS - they acquired Gaikai in 2012. Guess they just don't shout about it as much. And do we have any evidence to back up the "They don't have massive numbers like MS do" statement?

Who knows how they are internally. Maybe the BB infrastructure isn't yet in a state where they want to make a big push for game streaming? I mean MS's xCloud isn't without its issues - still get the odd bit of slowdown here and there but it is improving all the time. Not really had any experience of PS Now... although might do a free trial and see how it is.

11 minutes ago, K said:

I thought we were talking about the Game Pass aspect of PSNow, not the streaming bit.

Well I was. Although xCloud, PS Now streaming etc bring it in... all part of the mix I guess...

I honestly dont think Sony give a flying fuck about Game Pass. They are clearly going to win this gen by miles and miles so why bother? They have a service that they dont promote at all and I think they are happy with the current state of affairs.

5 minutes ago, sandman said:

I honestly dont think Sony give a flying fuck about Game Pass. They are clearly going to win this gen by miles and miles so why bother? They have a service that they dont promote at all and I think they are happy with the current state of affairs.

Like I said before , look at what happened in the 360 vs PS3 era. PS3 won that on sales which is incomprehensible 

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

Think the problem Sony will have is combating Game Pass. And the fact that so many of the big AAA exclusives are so far in the future 2022/23 even 2024 in some cases. And they cost £70 a pop (I know you can get discounts etc with PSN cards etc RRP is still £70). At least you can get the disks pre-owned I guess (which is what I have done with the exclusives I've played so far).

I've had a PS5 now for the best part of 5 months. The controller is really impressive (when its used well) but after playing through Astrobot (which is great and demonstrates the system and upgrades really well) I've not played anything that really engages me:-

Ratchet and Clank - looks and sounds lovely, uses the controller well but it feels like a PS2 game in terms of gameplay. Only paid £30 for this so no big shakes I guess... not worth the £70 asking price though IMHO.

Returnal - Again looks/sounds great but not sure about the game it is certainly different but lack of save on a potentially a 2 hour "level" makes things a bit challenging. However this is when viewed from a traditional video game progression story arc. Guessing if you just look at it as an arcade game with no end then makes more sense. The world does change slightly when you make another return to it. Its and interesting concept. Again glad I didn't pay £70 for it though TBH.

Think the main issue for me is I've had Game Pass for a long while now and really used to having a play on something before I invest time into something. An extra barrier to that on PS5 is having to actually pay for things to give them a try. OK Sony recently did the trial thing but its no match for having the full game to play. And if you want to go on you have to pay anyway. If I'd have bought the two exclusive games digitally they would have cost me £140(!) - think this is more than a years worth of GamePass Ultimate (£10.99 pcm?)

For me so far this generation I've had more value not out of any console I have owned but the Game Pass service itself. Whether I've been streaming it, playing on a console or PC.

Are you me? I paid £100 for R&C & Returnal, and I have the same criticisms. Loved Astrobot, completed it twice. ~£90 for 3 years of Game Pass, I've had much more enjoyment out of it than the PS5, and I don't see that changing.