Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

3 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I prefer changeable batteries. A cheap packet of AA from Wilkos last for ages. Also means that the pad lasts longer as it’s lifespan isn’t tethered to a battery pack. 

Yeah, the idea that if the battery dies you have to replace the whole device sounds a bit like something Apple convinced people was necessary to make it feel premium all those years ago. I thinks it's stupid, personally, but each to their own.

I have eneloops that I still use in my Series X controller that I used in my 360 controller*. Capacity is reduced(actually doesn't feel THAT reduced but my newer AAs hold more) but still lasts longer than controllers with built in batteries (excluding switch pro)

* they aren't often in rotation as usually I use those are in lower power draw items

12 minutes ago, Duckula said:

Personally for me, putting AA batteries into an expensive gadget I just bought in the year 2020 makes it feel cheap. The added insult of my old play and charge kit not quite fitting into the new controller didn't sit well either.

I'm guessing your play and charge kit isn't an official one? Quite like the way MS did the P&C kit on the One controllers just a pack that fits inside the battery compartment. Also last a long time too - both in time between charges and bought this pack back in 2016 and it's still going strong.

One of the best features of the Elite Series 2 is not only the fact it's got a (massively long-lasting) built-in battery, but also comes with its own charging case, so at the end of the evening I just drop it back in its case and I literally never have to think about how much charge it's got.

As a controller, for the price, it's a completely unjustifiable luxury purchase for those with more money than sense, but I do love it so.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

I'm guessing your play and charge kit isn't an official one? Quite like the way MS did the P&C kit on the One controllers just a pack that fits inside the battery compartment. Also last a long time too - both in time between charges and bought this pack back in 2016 and it's still going strong.

My official xbox one play and charge battery fits just fine, too.

Either it's a third party one or the battery might have warped? I mean in shape, not that it's capable of interstellar travel.

3 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Dunno why Sony and MS haven’t just used the same battery tech as Nintendos Pro controllers. They last for absolutely ages. And they’re the most comfortable to use too. 

They do. Just that the Nintendo Pro controllers have no rumble IIRC? Or if it did hardly felt it when I had one a while back.

2 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Maybe its rose-tinted glasses but I remembered using AA in my 360 and them lasting for ages before I had to replace them. Given I had far more time to play games then, in my mind it felt like the drain was far quicker this time :) 

I thought that too. I suspect the AA's bundled in the box weren't the best of duracell's line.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

My official xbox one play and charge battery fits just fine, too.

Either it's a third party one or the battery might have warped? I mean in shape, not that it's capable of interstellar travel.

Think some of third party ones built the battery pack into the cover so you effectively removed the cover of the battery door. The new pad is slightly smaller and has a slightly different sized battery cover - so some third party batteries don't fit. 

Kudos to MS though for designing around their official kit. Nice that controllers work across the platform along with accessories.

14 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Terrible launch, they should have delayed it until the spring or something.

I tend to agree, games wise, it is an underwhelming launch. 

But if the hardware is ready to be released and is going to cost £450 whether they release it now or in April then why not release it now? People are still able to enjoy the better hardware (quick resume, better backwards compatibility) now and the games will come. 

I see no reason to keep the boxes on a warehouse shelf for another six months rather than letting people buy and use them now. 

Plus hardware is always a long game. You don't spend £450 on hardware just for November 2020, you spend it so you can use it over the next 5 years or so. Any sensible person would never buy hardware at launch and there is nothing unique about the Series X situation compared to most other hardware launches. 

I love the Switch but at launch it's main selling point was a port of a previous generation game. Most hardware takes time to deliver the exclusive games that you initially buy the hardware for. 

3 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I tend to agree, games wise, it is an underwhelming launch. 

But if the hardware is ready to be released and is going to cost £450 whether they release it now or in April then why not release it now? People are still able to enjoy the better hardware (quick resume, better backwards compatibility) now and the games will come. 

I see no reason to keep the boxes on a warehouse shelf for another six months rather than letting people buy and use them now. 

Plus hardware is always a long game. You don't spend £450 on hardware just for November 2020, you spend it so you can use it over the next 5 years or so. Any sensible person would never buy hardware at launch and there is nothing unique about the Series X situation compared to most other hardware launches. 

I love the Switch but at launch it's main selling point was a port of a previous generation game. Most hardware takes time to deliver the exclusive games that you initially buy the hardware for. 

That's a fair point, I wish they would have changed the UI and controller more just to give it a bit of freshness, my experience is definitely different to somebody who's coming from an original Xbox One, I do love the design of the console though. 

But they did update the UI, they only rolled it out a few weeks ago. There’s no such thing as a next-gen only UI, so why wouldn’t they roll those improvements out across all consoles? It’s a stubbornly old-fashioned way of thinking about things.

And as far as I’m concerned they’ve taken the best pad on the market and improved it, while maintaining backwards comparability with previous pads and peripherals. Personally I think that’s better that’s better than binning everything off for a new gimmick every time, Xbox pads have been standardised for ~15 years at this point and everyone else has followed. Sony got an entirely disproportionate amount of credit for ‘fixing’ their own poor PS3 pad by copying the 360 pad last time, while MS have continued to iterate and improve upon that design.

That’s not to say I’m not curious about the Dual Sense, but if haptics actually do take off in a big way I’m sure we’ll see them adapted by everyone else.

I get that the PS5 launch might be a bit more exciting with the controller and the robot game but aside from that it’s more or less the same games isn’t it? (Probably running at slightly lower frame rates or resolutions than the XSX ;)). 

I can’t really see why anyone would be claiming either is better at this stage. Enjoy yourself when someone hacks you and Sony tells you it was you. ‘Why did you put lizards in your TV?’  Fucking nincompoops. 

@Pockets Depending on how you want to count it, Astrobot is the only exclusive that you can't play on anything other than a PS5, I think? That's on the basis of all the 'Xbox has no games' stuff in the main Xbox was thread was dismissed because it is either cross-gen or playable on PC. Likewise, then, on the PS5 everything else is either on PC, Series X/One X/PS4 or, for Demon's Souls, PS3 - so all playable elsewhere.

Neither platform has anything that I want to play just yet, the Xbox even less so right now purely because I have Game Pass on PC. Whether that will change remains to be seen (it hasn't for the last 7 years or so, hence not getting either a PS4 or Xbox).

The PS5 at least has a differentiator with the DualSense, even if the stick configuration means I'm never going to like it. Other than that, though, it's all about future potential and based on track records you'd probably say Sony has the edge there, too - though MS at least now has quite a stable of studios to try and change that.

I’ll admit to being underwhelmed by the series X launch. But I was expecting this, it’s not like Microsoft advertised it any differently.

For what it’s worth I thought Halo Infinite looked pretty good and would have been happy having that at launch.  Unfortunately, as it stands, the only game that really looks next gen to me is Fortnite. Gears undoubtedly looks better but I’ve played it already and no real wish to go back in. Horizon 4 looks smoother but less detailed than the One X version to me (which I think is what digital foundry said.

But Ive got one now and happy in that respect; there’s quite a lot to look forward to even if there’s nothing that really grabs me right now as a new and shiny game. My concerns are limited to how long MS support Xbox One. Having games hobbled by still having to support a relatively ancient machine. I also think it may not be my first port of call for multi format releases, as I think the dual sense will add a lot to it (I canned my black ops series x order because of this)

7 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Is there a way to know if a game is running at 120fps?

For example CoD Cold war we have at 4k but can't see if that is 120fps. Are settings for this usually in game or at system level?

Guessing it's something you can feel when playing? My guess it will respond much quicker to controls. Well thats what 30fps Vs 60fps feels like anyway. The upgrade to 120fps might not be as pronounced? I

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Is there a way to know if a game is running at 120fps?

For example CoD Cold war we have at 4k but can't see if that is 120fps. Are settings for this usually in game or at system level?

You have to have it enabled in the Xbox Settings and then if there's no specific option in the game it should just use whatever you set. Having said that, COD doesn't run a stable 120fps (80-120?) so you might just be better off with a solid 60fps.

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

You have to have it enabled in the Xbox Settings and then if there's no specific option in the game it should just use whatever you set. Having said that, COD doesn't run a stable 120fps (80-120?) so you might just be better off with a solid 60fps.

Dumb question, which setting is it? My son has been banging on about it all evening and we couldn't find anything in settings. 

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

I think this guy is great. 

But I’ve never watched one of his vids and gone “Oh right so that’s how you do it!”. 

I’m either asleep by the end of more baffled than when I went in!

Just a note that the controller discussion has been moved into a new thread as it was starting to move towards comparisons with other console controllers. Title is tongue-in-cheek, so the "OP" is more than welcome to change it to something more appropriate if need be.

3 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I think this guy is great. 

But I’ve never watched one of his vids and gone “Oh right so that’s how you do it!”. 

I’m either asleep by the end of more baffled than when I went in!

He's one of the most charmingly weird guys on the Internet. I think it's this video where he starts talking about hentai? Total oddball, he's great. 

You won't see the 120hz option if your TV doesn't support it. Most tvs don't. 

Having had the Series X now for a week and beyond mine turning up a day late as it went to France & having to do a hard reset out of the box as it was basically fucked I’ve got other issues.

I was baffled reading about people on here having quick resume problems. Now I’m the same, most games that did work with it now don’t. Also, I can’t play online. I’ve been trying to complete the new Destiny 2 content for a week. I get disconnected with the same error at random times every time. Apex Legends is unplayable due to lag. Runs ok at times then teleporting kicks in. I’ve a One X and gaming PC on the same home network and they are fine. The one new game I bought for the Series X (Assassins Creed Valhalla) is buggy, has the occasional graphical glitch and has the worst screen tearing I’ve saw in years. 

I’ve genuinely had far more significant issues with this thing in a week than I’ve had with my last two gaming PC’s. 

1 hour ago, vezna said:

I’ve genuinely had far more significant issues with this thing in a week than I’ve had with my last two gaming PC’s. 

I know it is all anecdotal but I have had 0 crashes in a week and I played a lot of games. Quick Resume also still works. Only problem I have is that I lose track which games are in Quick Resume so eventually you lose the oldest ones. This thing needs like an Alt - Tab kind of function to see them and keep track.