Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

I have a weird one whereby, upon booting up, the "connect to Xbox Live" box appears on the home screen not allowing me to move onto Store, Gamepass etc pages (despite the fact I am connected). Clicking on it shows that I am connected in settings so its probably more of a OS bug as I can still access Live services from my favourites, like the store, which the gets rid of the connect box.

Edit - I think the speed in which the new Xbox loads may also have something to do with this, like the UI can't quite catch up before loading the home screen.

22 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I have a weird one whereby, upon booting up, the "connect to Xbox Live" box appears on the home screen not allowing me to move onto Store, Gamepass etc pages (despite the fact I am connected). Clicking on it shows that I am connected in settings so its probably more of a OS bug as I can still access Live services from my favourites, like the store, which the gets rid of the connect box.

Edit - I think the speed in which the new Xbox loads may also have something to do with this, like the UI can't quite catch up before loading the home screen.

I have this on the one x.  Give it a couple of minutes and everything loads up fine.

24 minutes ago, hub2 said:

I've only had one issue with quick resume (other than somes games not supporting it) which was that it started QR, then went "Naaahhh", and started loading from scratch. happen to anyone else?

I've also only had one issue so far, which wasn't this, but when I tried out energy saving mode it made Halo MCC restart from the menu rather than quick resume. I think I need to do a bit more testing, because IIRC it was the "active" game when I turned off the console, and so I wonder whether that makes a difference. My working hypothesis is that under fast start mode the active game just stays active, whereas under energy saving mode the active game is simply closed down. If so, I suspect they just need to patch the system so that when it's turned off (in either standby mode or fully off) it needs to send the currently active game into the quick resume suspended state. I'll have another play tonight and report back with my findings.

Quick resume was great last week. This week simply nothing has quick resumed at all. Even Gears Tactics & AC: Valhalla which were happily doing it last week.

When it worked it was my favourite feature, jumping into do a wee bit of Gears then going back to ploughing through Assassins Creed.

I don't really find the screen tearing in Valhalla annoying, I'd def prefer it wasn't there but I seem to be able to ignore it quite easily.

18 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I found a 360 game that quick resumed - Rare Replay seemed to when I tried it last night.

I may need to buy more games as most don't QR for me :)

That's an XB1 game. 

Although it has separate downloads based on the 360 versions of Banjo Perfect Dark and a few others. 

2 hours ago, Darren said:

I've also only had one issue so far, which wasn't this, but when I tried out energy saving mode it made Halo MCC restart from the menu rather than quick resume. I think I need to do a bit more testing, because IIRC it was the "active" game when I turned off the console, and so I wonder whether that makes a difference. My working hypothesis is that under fast start mode the active game just stays active, whereas under energy saving mode the active game is simply closed down. If so, I suspect they just need to patch the system so that when it's turned off (in either standby mode or fully off) it needs to send the currently active game into the quick resume suspended state. I'll have another play tonight and report back with my findings.

From what I've seen - using instant on mode - it's only the act of starting a new game that causes the current one to write to Quick Resume.

Like you say, in theory, just putting the system into sleep mode shouldn't need to write the game to Quick Resume as it should still be there when the machine starts up. In my experience, this isn't happening most of the time, and the Xbox reloads the game from scratch instead. I'm sure it's a bug because the Xbox One didn't behave like this.

If they could get it so the thing puts a game into Quick Resume when you shut the box down in Energy Saving mode (full shutdown), I'd swap to that mode in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Preliminary results are in (I couldn't resist having a play at lunchtime) and my working hypothesis is already disproved, which at least demonstrates the usefulness of a proper test strategy.

I cycled through three games several times in rotation (Halo MCC, Jedi Fallen Order and Hotshot Racing) and all Quick Resumed every time. I finished with Hotshot Racing as the last used game, set the power options to energy saving, and went into standby.

When the console seemed to have gone to sleep, I started it up again but was surprised to see it come on instantly as if it was still set to instant on. Hotshot Racing started as soon as I opened it (i.e. it was still running as the active game), and the other two Quick Resumed when I opened them, as did H.R. when I cycled back to it.

I checked the power settings to confirm it really was set to energy saving (it was) and put it into standby again.

This time I left it a minute before starting back up but it behaved exactly the same as above. From this I conclude that even with power options set to energy saving, after going to sleep the console will spend some time in instant on mode while it finishes off whatever computery stuff it's doing in the background, before going into the "deep sleep" of energy saving mode. So I repeated the above steps, and put it to sleep in energy saving mode yet again.

This time I waited half an hour or so before starting up again, and this time I got the full startup logo splash screen and chime as the UI started up. Again I started Hotshot Racing and was really surprised to see it instantly resume as if I'd just popped out to the home screen for a minute. Hence my idea that energy saving mode shuts down the currently active game is incorrect. I then started up Jedi which Quick Resumed, then Halo MCC, which didn't! Halo restarted as if it had been closed with the publisher's splash screen and into the main menu. This despite it being in Quick Resume state and no longer the active game when the console went to sleep.

From this my revised hypothesis is that energy saving mode causes some games to exit Quick Resume state. What I can't tell from this test is whether there's any logic to which games are affected (e.g. game size, which would imply the problem is at the OS end) or whether it's just particular titles with no pattern (which could mean the problem is with those specific games). Further investigation is required.

tl;dr energy saving standby causes at least one game to "drop out" of Quick Resume and restart from closed next time, every time. As this doesn't affect most games (from the limited test sample) it obviously isn't intended behaviour and I would expect it to be patched in due course.

A little ‘quirk’ that might be something for bored people to test. It seems that turning the console off will of course stop the signal to my TV but, it will stay on a black screen for a while instead of going to those screen save pics that LG oleds have. 

For those with the same TV, my theory is that the screen stays black until the fans on the console stop which is a minute or so later. 

Boring I know, but weird I thought. I noticed because I sometimes wait for this pics before turning the TV off so I can be sure I’ve turned it off. 

Hmmm my Series S appears to have died.

The power light will come on and the fans start spinning but no output on any HDMI and none of the controllers are pairing which suggests it’s not booting.  It’s turns itself by back off after a couple of minutes

Tried various unplugging and different power cables and hdmi leads and another TV.  Nothing...

So frustrating

First major annoying bug for me. 3 times now I’ve come out of instant on and it won’t connect to wireless. All greyed out and when you go to network settings it says can’t connect to your wireless router. A restart of the Xbox fixes it. 

Seems both consoles really need some bugs ironed out. 

5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

First major annoying bug for me. 3 times now I’ve come out of instant on and it won’t connect to wireless. All greyed out and when you go to network settings it says can’t connect to your wireless router. A restart of the Xbox fixes it. 

Seems both consoles really need some bugs ironed out. 

Wireless :blink:

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

To echo previous comments made, the disc drive is way too loud for UHD watching. Shame as my One X was virtually silent.

Interesting. It’s basically the same volume as my One X was (but by the time I’d got the One X, I’d already got a UHD player, so meh).

Haven’t done much testing to prove it but I think the difference between quick resume working or not might be to do with whether you go ‘home’ before turning the console off. When I do, QR seems to work all the time but if I turn off the console from within the game it doesn’t. 

8 hours ago, footle said:

Interesting. It’s basically the same volume as my One X was (but by the time I’d got the One X, I’d already got a UHD player, so meh).

My One X had a loud UHD drive, so I got a replacement, which was also loud. So just sensitive ears. Or, alternatively, it could be MS are using the exact same drive as the one in the One X, and that the build quality of the part is very variable.

Anyone else find the pad really uncomfortable, especially for racing/driving? I'm constantly swapping my index and middle fingers over to hold the right trigger down for accelerate, the surface area feels too narrow and the trigger itself is too stiff. It makes me grip the pad with my right hand in a weird way, you can't hold it in a relaxed grip. Also the texture on the pad itself is rough and feels unfinished, uncomfortable and cheap. Both the d-pad and sticks are noisy, d-pad is especially annoying.

The console itself is great but the pad feels worse over time. Really struggling with it.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Anyone else find the pad really uncomfortable, especially for racing/driving? I'm constantly swapping my index and middle fingers over to hold the right trigger down for accelerate, the surface area feels too narrow and the trigger itself is too stiff. It makes me grip the pad with my right hand in a weird way, you can't hold it in a relaxed grip. Also the texture on the pad itself is rough and feels unfinished, uncomfortable and cheap. Both the d-pad and sticks are noisy, d-pad is especially annoying.

The console itself is great but the pad feels worse over time. Really struggling with it.

Can’t say it’s causing me any bother at all. Could you use the One pad without issue? You could just use your old one if that’s an option - they are all compatible. 

12 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Can’t say it’s causing me any bother at all. Could you use the One pad without issue? You could just use your old one if that’s an option - they are all compatible. 

I didn't have a One or any other Xbox since the 360. Coming it this from the PS4, where I didn't love the pad, but I never really found it an issue either.

This could easily be the best console I've ever owned, the library of games, gamepass, speed of everything, the loading, upgrades to old titles, it's phenomenal what this thing can do. Maybe I just need to adjust to the pad.

It definitely seems subjective, some people have been asking for a clicky dpad since the 360 days. I guess it’s the pad equivalent of preferring a mechanical keyboard, personally I find it much more satisfying to press now. I’m rubbish at beat-em-ups but can see it working well there, and it’s great for Tetris.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I didn't have a One or any other Xbox since the 360. Coming it this from the PS4, where I didn't love the pad, but I never really found it an issue either.

This could easily be the best console I've ever owned, the library of games, gamepass, speed of everything, the loading, upgrades to old titles, it's phenomenal what this thing can do. Maybe I just need to adjust to the pad.

Get an Elite Pad. Easily the best ergonomics of any pad.

Yeah the dpad almost feels like one of those old top quality microswitch dpads. It isn't, it's the same mechanism as the Xbox One dpad I'm sure, but it impersonates it well. Best current dpad easily of the ones I have used* and one of my favourites ever. Platformers play so well on it. 

It is a relatively noisy controller without a doubt but personally I like that. 

Ranking of dpads: xbox series, switch lite, ps4, retroid pocket 2, xbox one.