Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

Ah. Hmm well there's no stock anywhere anyway at the moment so I guess I will have time to see how things turn out. The storage doesn't really matter to me because I don't have much gaming time so I will only play one or two games at a time and I don't mind downloading things.

If there's a significant difference in performance that would be a dealbreaker for me though.

21 minutes ago, Sane said:

If there's a significant difference in performance that would be a dealbreaker for me though.

Significant difference in GPU performance however probably not needed for 1080p gaming. The other thing is that you are restricted to digital on the S - however if you intend to use it as a GamePass machine not really an issue. There is a £200 price difference depends if you intend to any 4K gaming in future.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Why not if you aren't enjoying it. Like you say they'll be plenty at some point next year although I expect shortages to go on for a fair while due to the pandemic and demand. 

Yeh I like it but looking ahead there's nothing coming out anytime soon to really warrant not doing it

24 minutes ago, Sane said:

Ah. Hmm well there's no stock anywhere anyway at the moment so I guess I will have time to see how things turn out. The storage doesn't really matter to me because I don't have much gaming time so I will only play one or two games at a time and I don't mind downloading things.

For 1080p gaming I would say it’s pretty much perfect. 

There will be some small graphical reductions and some high end features like ray tracing may not be available on all titles. Also in a early releases like Valhalla it’s running in 30 rather than 60fps. 

However as games like Gears 5, COD and Dirt 5 are all running at 60fps on the S I think given a bit of proper dev time it will be fine. 

1080p and not ultra bothered about having the very highest quality - S is perfect

4K or want the best - X is for you. 

Don’t forget it’s a lot smaller physically which will suit many people a lot more as well. 

It turns out there was a bug in CoD on the s making it look worse than it should. With Valhalla on the series s you get the impression they just quickly turned up the graphical features a little bit on the last gen version, it should be able to hit 1080p60 I'd have thought otherwise. 

It should be more than ideal for 1080p tvs but it will depend on how devs optimise for it. 

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've got my machine in Instant On mode. On the Xbox One, if I was playing something and I turned the Xbox off, when I turned it back on the next day the game would be exactly where I left it. (Like the PS4's Rest Mode).

On the Series X, this again seems almost random, and a lot of the time when I turn the machine back on it reloads the game from scratch.

2 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

My One X used to randomly do this and I've had it a couple of times with my X. 

Yeah, I was going to post the same thing - my One X is extremely unreliable in this regard, to the point that I never dare turn the machine off without saving first, as there's around a 30% chance that when I turn it back on the game will reload from scratch.

3 hours ago, Chooch said:

Can anyone get games to install via the gamepass app? I’ve the Series X set to instant on, remote play blah blah blah all that stuff set to ‘on’. 

When I try to install from the app it just sits there saying ‘waiting for console’.

I was meant to be joining up with some friends last night to play a new game, but it hadnt downloaded. Sad face. 

No, I asked the same thing when it was bugging out for me. Instead use the XBox app, which I found to be much more relaible. You'll need it for remote play anyway.

Regarding QR, it's worked 100% of the time for me in Outer Wilds on instrt start standby mode (Series S). I'm curious to see if it's not working on that game for those people who are finding it much more flaky? (not a ruse to get more people to play The Outer Wilds)

2 hours ago, Sane said:

I have an S and am pretty happy with it. However if you can get an X, it's going to be the better long term bet because any performance issues or problems will hit the S first. 

It's basically a Gamepass / companion machine to my Switch for me and for that it's perfect. 

13 minutes ago, therearerules said:

No, I asked the same thing when it was bugging out for me. Instead use the XBox app, which I found to be much more relaible. You'll need it for remote play anyway.

Regarding QR, it's worked 100% of the time for me in Outer Wilds on instrt start standby mode (Series S). I'm curious to see if it's not working on that game for those people who are finding it much more flaky? (not a ruse to get more people to play The Outer Wilds)

Just tried it from the Xbox app and it’s worked! Bizarre. 

How does QR work when it comes to save games.

Say I am playing Gears tactics and I play 3 missions and I am mid mission. I then switch off(it is QR) and play Grabbed by the Ghoulies on Rare Replay (also QR). I then stop playing that and switch off the console.

I have my old Xbox One S in another room and I fire that up and play Gears Tactics and it should download my save so my 3 missions from my Series X session should have registered and it retrieves the save. I continue and do the next mission (which I was mid mission on Series X) and do two more missions then switch off.

Later I go back to Series X and QR kicks in and I am where I left it. So does it

a) Remember where I was continue that mission from mid point where I quit and ignore progress on the One S?

b) Let me continue mid mission as I left it but when mission complete it goes to save, drags back the One S save and realise I had moved on?

c) Do a save game check on restart and note I progressed further on another machine and drop me to main menu?

d) Explode in confusion

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

Yeh I like it but looking ahead there's nothing coming out anytime soon to really warrant not doing it

Destiny 2, 4k 60fps in a couple of weeks. The amount of time you put into that after you abandoned us would make it worth it! :(

15 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Evening,

Is there anything special I need to do to get the audio to come out of just the headset when plugged into the controller? Have poked around the settings a bit but can’t see how to set it to headset only.

The only workaround I have is to mute the av receiver but then the mute graphic stays on the screen all the time which is a bit annoying.

Series X is connected to the av receiver which in turn connects to the telly. The headset is being recognised fine as audio does come through it.

Its a Chinese branded Amazon type jobbie rather than a known brand.

Cheers,

Indy

Shoutout to @Underwurlde for the advice, but you can disable HDMI audio out from the system settings - you just have to do so before plugging the headphones in, otherwise the option becomes greyed out. 

It took me ages to find, but there’s a headset audio slider control accessible by pressing the Xbox button on the controller (to open the side menu - not sure what it’s called) and in the left most tab at the bottom you can open the audio controls. Bit of a faff, but useful because the default volume for headphones is really low. 

3 hours ago, Sane said:

-Raytracing

-30fps instead of 60fps on the X

-60fps instead of 120fps on the X

Performance wise, these are the things you might have to live with. But so far, games on S seem to stick to their performance targets. Hopefully not too many games will fall into the 30fps instead of 60fps category, though. So far, it’s just Valhalla, and that game is a buggy mess. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Shoutout to @Underwurlde for the advice, but you can disable HDMI audio out from the system settings - you just have to do so before plugging the headphones in, otherwise the option becomes greyed out. 

It took me ages to find, but there’s a headset audio slider control accessible by pressing the Xbox button on the controller (to open the side menu - not sure what it’s called) and in the left most tab at the bottom you can open the audio controls. Bit of a faff, but useful because the default volume for headphones is really low. 

Yeah its a bit of a faff noticed than when using my new Xbox again. Why they can't have an option for it to behave like every other device you plug phones into is just an odd thing. It's pretty conventional that speakers mute when you plug 'phones in. Guess they'll be some odd technical reason for it though. Sure the PS4 used to auto mute the sound when I connected my 'phones up (or there was an option to do so). Seems a really odd oversight on the Xbox - it's been like it since the Xbox One release.

Anyhow I always just mute the Monitor/TV.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Sure the PS4 used to auto mute the sound when I connected my 'phones up (or there was an option to do so).

I remember having to go into the options to enable it - I think by default when you plug a headset in the sound continues to come out the TV and nothing comes out the headphones, bar chat - but yes it supports that natively without you having to improvise a solution.

Any other device in the world switches audio output when you put headphones in, so it's daft the Series X doesn't support it.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I remember having to go into the options to enable it - I think by default when you plug a headset in the sound continues to come out the TV and nothing comes out the headphones, bar chat - but yes it supports that natively without you having to improvise a solution.

Any other device in the world switches audio output when you put headphones in, so it's daft the Series X doesn't support it.

It is a bit strange because if you go into settings the machine can tell that audio is being routed to headphones through the controller. Presumably they have the power to make it happen. Perhaps you should suggest they make it an option on that Xbox feedback website they have.

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

How does QR work when it comes to save games.

Say I am playing Gears tactics and I play 3 missions and I am mid mission. I then switch off(it is QR) and play Grabbed by the Ghoulies on Rare Replay (also QR). I then stop playing that and switch off the console.

I have my old Xbox One S in another room and I fire that up and play Gears Tactics and it should download my save so my 3 missions from my Series X session should have registered and it retrieves the save. I continue and do the next mission (which I was mid mission on Series X) and do two more missions then switch off.

Later I go back to Series X and QR kicks in and I am where I left it. So does it

a) Remember where I was continue that mission from mid point where I quit and ignore progress on the One S?

b) Let me continue mid mission as I left it but when mission complete it goes to save, drags back the One S save and realise I had moved on?

c) Do a save game check on restart and note I progressed further on another machine and drop me to main menu?

d) Explode in confusion

In answer to my own question - I tested it and it isn't super elegant but it is quite clever and the answer is nearly c)

I played it on Series X into a mid-mission and QRd it and tested QR worked then switched off Series X

Then I went to One S played that mission through to conclusion (it only knew about my save prior to that mission and had no idea I was mid mission) and I did the next mission too - did some upgrades and it saved.

I went back to Series X and it QRd to mid mission , I was thinking "uhoh" as it seemed to resume where I left off. I started a turn, moved a character and the Series X dumped me back to dashboard to tell me the save data had moved on so it had shut the game down and when I restarted it the new save would apply

Obviously no idea if that is a game by game or system level feature but the message was a system level one so it might be clever-ish

14 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Has anyone done any extensive testing with the controllers over bluetooth on PC?

I need purchase-defining numbers, not just "It works great!".

? Numbers? It works. I played through Gears Of War 4 with one over BT a while back without issue. Use it fairly regularly on the PC when playing. Not had any issues. Not sure what else you want really. Also the controller connects to my phone fine and played some Forza Horizon 4 on my phone without any issues.

To be fair though usually sat fairly close to the PC when playing and apparently BT doesn't meet MS's spec for wireless gaming:-

https://www.windowscentral.com/will-xbox-series-x-support-bluetooth

So I guess it depends on your use case really.

44 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not sure what else you want really.

My Xbox 360 pad works, but comes with horrendous levels of input latency which I've had to adapt to.

If I'm buying a new controller I expect it to work, of course. What I want to know is how well a Series controller works when compared to a Dual Shock 4 when it comes to input latency.

The DS4 is 2-3ms of latency over Bluetooth, but then I prefer the Xbox ergonomics. I'd settle for anything under double digits. As an estimation my 360 pad sits at around 15-25ms. That's probably the main reason why I'm after an upgrade.

image.thumb.png.9350a09b1e94c409651dd21bbacbf2c8.png

36 minutes ago, Fallows said:

My Xbox 360 pad works, but comes with horrendous levels of input latency which I've had to adapt to.

If I'm buying a new controller I expect it to work, of course. What I want to know is how well a Series controller works when compared to a Dual Shock 4 when it comes to input latency.

The DS4 is 3-4ms of latency over Bluetooth, but then I prefer the Xbox ergonomics. I'd settle for anything under double digits. As an estimation my 360 pad sits at around 25-35ms. That's probably the main reason why I'm after an upgrade.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-latency/

Well the new controllers have been redesigned to lower latency. When connected to a Series X console. Guessing over Bluetooth it will vary depending on your environment.

Not sure how you can accurately measure latency though. Not connected my Series X controller yet but my old Xbox One controller connected via BT feels fine to me and looking at that chart you posted 6.9ms so guess it meets your requirement.

4 hours ago, Popo said:

I think pulling the right trigger on the first Xbox button homescreen brings you to a bunch of shortcuts at the bottom. One being audio. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Is quick resume not working whatsoever for anyone? Is there a fix? 

It was fine on launch day (and amazing) for me across about 4 different games but now it doesn't work at all. 

I tested it today and it worked on

Gears 4

Gears Tactics

Rare replay (inc being in a game within rare reply)

State of Decay 2

Ones I haven't had work

Tetris - thingy

Forza 4

Minecraft

Fortnite

Space Giraffe

Geo Wars 2

No Mans Sky

SO yes I thought it didn't work at all til I realised I wasn't playing the ones that do work. I wish there was a list of ones working/not!

I'm having to go into settings and do a full power down every time I switch off otherwise my external USB HDD spins up every 15 minutes or so.

Wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the bright blue LED on the enclosure that lights up when it does spin up.