Jump to content
IGNORED

Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions


Fusty Gusset
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:


I have just quick resumed into FH4, seems to work on anything that isn’t Fortnite or COD for me.

 

It worked fine for me with the 4 games I was playing day one. A week later, nothing works. And I Habe tested the same games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, deerokus said:

In that case it's possible the game has patched while you were away. 

 

Sure - but definitely not the case in most instances. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, for instance, occasionally Quick Resumes, sometimes stays in memory, but often just boots from scratch, even when it's the only game I've been playing - and that's only had a single patch since launch and I knew when that installed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to the complete lack of Quick Resume, in the past week I've had three spontaneous restarts. Both mid game and browsing the store, I've had it go to a black screen without any warning and then restart. The area is ventilated and I honestly don't think its a heat issue, more software related. I've also noticed that sometimes the long press on the XBox button doesn't work. I press a couple of times in case its user error but then I'll get the effect of the OS catching up and spamming the screen with all my frustrated button presses.

 

Each time I log an issue so hopefully MS are getting all the data they need to fix these issues. Interestingly, it always tells me everything looks OK and do I still want to report and issue? Bit of basic psychology going on there I think...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apart from a day of "this game took to long to start for some reason" errors, stopping any game from loading without a hard reset of the console, Quick Resume has worked on everything for me (most notably AC Odyssey as I have been playing that the most).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had quick resume work with Yakuza 7 but not Tetris Effect. Wish it did work with TE as it is perfect for dipping into.

 

Think I have had two crashes in total - I have put over 40 hours into Yak 7 so I don't think that is too bad.

 

I also have found the homescreen to be a bit slow e.g. you press A to load a game but after the press there are still a few seconds where you can move the cursor around.

 

Overall not that annoyed, but I think I will definitely give some pause for thought before picking up a launch console in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KRP said:

Overall not that annoyed, but I think I will definitely give some pause for thought before picking up a launch console in the future.

I think software problems here and there are always going to plague new consoles these days to one degree or another. As long as the hardware is solid the rest can be fixed by patches.

 

Now if you'd have bought a Xbox 360 at launch..... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I just don't understand how we can all be having such different experiences with QR. I must have read almost every permutation from all the time to never at all. All on the same hardware, OS and same games.

Valhalla is especially buggy with it for me, even opening an app causes the game to quit. That's obviously not supposed to happen. 

 

When QR was working on that game it would load me in with an invisible world map and then crash as soon as I moved outside of whatever area I had loaded into. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pob said:

Quick Resume works for me if I push down hard on the tape deck while the game is loading.

Think it was the C64 I had to move the cassette deck around to get things to load. Never knew why - it wasn't just in my head though. Those games would definitely not load in certain positions near the TV. Also remember fiddling around with with a screwdriver to align the heads... :D Don't get me started on Lenslok and other copy protection things (colour codes in Jet Set Willy etc). It was a game in itself to actually get to play the games back then... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I just don't understand how we can all be having such different experiences with QR. I must have read almost every permutation from all the time to never at all. All on the same hardware, OS and same games.

 

Yes, it seems like I wasn't getting many QR starts but now, it seems to happen most of the time, even with the same games.

 

Gears 5 does it excellently, in that it does all it's multiplayer connections once you start matchmaking. Apex Legends resumes to a lobby then kicks me out 10 seconds later, so it can connect again. 

 

I assume that this is something that will be adopted for all MS published games, and hopefully some 3rd parties too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Valhalla is especially buggy with it for me, even opening an app causes the game to quit. That's obviously not supposed to happen.

 

There might be something in this actually - we use the Disney+ app quite a lot which didn't affect games at all on the One X but might indeed be responsible for shunting them out of memory on the Series X. Like you say, clearly not supposed to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

 

There might be something in this actually - we use the Disney+ app quite a lot which didn't affect games at all on the One X but might indeed be responsible for shunting them out of memory on the Series X. Like you say, clearly not supposed to happen.

Yet one of the MS help articles I was pointed to states clearly that Apps are not supported by QR and don't impact QR as they are typically much smaller in size and don't benefit from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Yet one of the MS help articles I was pointed to states clearly that Apps are not supported by QR and don't impact QR as they are typically much smaller in size and don't benefit from it.

 

Yeah, it's always been that way, the games and the apps kind of exist in separate spaces so you could always keep a game in memory while using as many apps as you want. There's every chance that's not working properly or is bugged in some way on the Series X though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick Resume is turned on/off per game I believe on the server side and it is disabled for most games now.

 

I think Microsoft has some more work to do.

 

I am expecting a first big OS bug fix update this week or possibly next week. But I reckon Quick Resume is going to take a bit longer to work reliably. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Quick Resume is turned on/off per game I believe on the server side and it is disabled for most games now.

 

I think Microsoft has some more work to do.

 

I am expecting a first big OS bug fix update this week or possibly next week. But I reckon Quick Resume is going to take a bit longer to work reliably. 

 

Works for me on Yakuza, Tetris Effect and FH...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

Think it was the C64 I had to move the cassette deck around to get things to load. Never knew why - it wasn't just in my head though. Those games would definitely not load in certain positions near the TV. Also remember fiddling around with with a screwdriver to align the heads... :D Don't get me started on Lenslok and other copy protection things (colour codes in Jet Set Willy etc). It was a game in itself to actually get to play the games back then... 

I had different piles of books to use as weights on the tape deck to load different games on the C64. Fun times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Just downloaded the OS update. Around 690MB.

 

New backgrounds, Auto HDR indicator on games and usual stability improvements. 

 

Gears Tactics just used QR!!! Hold me!


heres hoping it comes with firmware update for the controller audio issue, was doing my head in last night playing with mates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, fattakin said:


heres hoping it comes with firmware update for the controller audio issue, was doing my head in last night playing with mates. 

What’s the controller audio issue? I had what sounded like static in the first week, but it seems to have gone away on its own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPL said:

What’s the controller audio issue? I had what sounded like static in the first week, but it seems to have gone away on its own.

 

If you stop any input on the controller, after 10s the audio will break up - very apparent in party chat. Only happens with new controller, XB1 controllers not affected. 4 of us last night had it, which was not fun when different peoples audio breaking up at different times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.