Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

9 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I'm having to go into settings and do a full power down every time I switch off otherwise my external USB HDD spins up every 15 minutes or so.

Wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the bright blue LED on the enclosure that lights up when it does spin up.

Yeah I actually realised that the thing waking me up when I first got the console wasn't the fan on the console itself, it was the external drive attached to it. I've just unplugged it for now.

Tried disabling the HDMI Audio option but kept on throwing up an error around the av receiver not liking it.

Guess it looks like downing the volume to 0 is the way forward. It would be cool to get some sort of prompt on screen with options on what you want to do once it detects a headset though.

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I'm having to go into settings and do a full power down every time I switch off otherwise my external USB HDD spins up every 15 minutes or so.

Wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the bright blue LED on the enclosure that lights up when it does spin up.

Happens on my one x as well as the series x. Don’t see why it has to do it so often, can’t it just check for updates at 3am or some random time, not so often. 

I just unplug the hdd, doesn't usually need to be on when the system isn't running. Long term I'm replacing it with an external ssd but for now it's a noisy 2tb hdd that I was using on ps4 until now. 

Quick resume definitely works in Forza Horizon 4 BTW. I use it a lot and it changes that game into a pick up and play quick arcade racing dream.  I've been playing quite a lot of games such ad Jedi Fallen Order, Doom Eternal, State of Decay 2, Wasteland 3, WRC 9, Outer Worlds and the only things it doesn't work with for me now are Valhalla and some 360 games (in some of those it says it's quick resuming but then launches the 360 boot screen). Actually I can't remember if it does for wrc, I think so though. 

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

I believe it still spins it up when it checks for updates though. 

Oh really? I must admit I leave mine running. I read somewhere once it was better to have it always on than stopping and starting. Whether that is true or not I have no idea. 

It works for me on everything I've tried, although there is a limit to how many games can be "in Quick Resume" at once, so sometimes one that's not been played for a while gets knocked off the pile by more recently played games. My only complaint is that there isn't any way to tell when this happens or which games it affects, so you really have to save before you stop on everything you play, just in case.

Yeah, obviously it would defeat the point of quick resume if every time you changed game you got an alert that some other game would be pushed out, but maybe there could be a symbol on the game icon or something. Definitely needs something specific in the UI. 

It doesn't work for Valhalla, some 360 stuff is temperamental with it and Crackdown 3 seemed to load to a black screen one time I used it, but otherwise it works great for me. Even in Yakuza:LaD, which I saw someone saying didn't work. 

Maybe piss breaks it. 

8 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yeah, obviously it would defeat the point of quick resume if every time you changed game you got an alert that some other game would be pushed out, but maybe there could be a symbol on the game icon or something. Definitely needs something specific in the UI. 

I've thought about it since posting and the most elegant solution I can think of would be to repurpose the "top row" of the UI as a Quick Resume indicator. The big icon on the top left is currently active, all the smaller ones on the row are in Quick Resume, of which the one on the right is "at risk" and will be knocked out of QR if you open any games not on that top row. If you want to open something else but keep the at-risk game in QR then open the at-risk one first to bump it up the "queue" and keep it safe. Plus it means that anything you open from that top row will definitely Quick Resume.

Written down it doesn't seem as elegant as it does in my head! Basically you need a visual indication of which games are currently in QR and of those, which one will be knocked out next, which this would do (to me at least).

Just now, Darren said:

I've thought about it since posting and the most elegant solution I can think of would be to repurpose the "top row" of the UI as a Quick Resume indicator. The big icon on the top left is currently active, all the smaller ones on the row are in Quick Resume, of which the one on the right is "at risk" and will be knocked out of QR if you open any games not on that top row. If you want to open something else but keep the at-risk game in QR then open the at-risk one first to bump it up the "queue" and keep it safe.

Written down it doesn't seem as elegant as it does in my head! Basically you need a visual indication of which games are currently in QR and of those, which one will be knocked out next, which this would do (to me at least).

Ignoring the games that have been temporarily disabled, that is how it should work already.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I have just quick resumed into FH4, seems to work on anything that isn’t Fortnite or COD for me.

It worked fine for me with the 4 games I was playing day one. A week later, nothing works. And I Habe tested the same games. 

24 minutes ago, deerokus said:

In that case it's possible the game has patched while you were away. 

Sure - but definitely not the case in most instances. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, for instance, occasionally Quick Resumes, sometimes stays in memory, but often just boots from scratch, even when it's the only game I've been playing - and that's only had a single patch since launch and I knew when that installed.

In addition to the complete lack of Quick Resume, in the past week I've had three spontaneous restarts. Both mid game and browsing the store, I've had it go to a black screen without any warning and then restart. The area is ventilated and I honestly don't think its a heat issue, more software related. I've also noticed that sometimes the long press on the XBox button doesn't work. I press a couple of times in case its user error but then I'll get the effect of the OS catching up and spamming the screen with all my frustrated button presses.

Each time I log an issue so hopefully MS are getting all the data they need to fix these issues. Interestingly, it always tells me everything looks OK and do I still want to report and issue? Bit of basic psychology going on there I think...

Apart from a day of "this game took to long to start for some reason" errors, stopping any game from loading without a hard reset of the console, Quick Resume has worked on everything for me (most notably AC Odyssey as I have been playing that the most).

I have had quick resume work with Yakuza 7 but not Tetris Effect. Wish it did work with TE as it is perfect for dipping into.

Think I have had two crashes in total - I have put over 40 hours into Yak 7 so I don't think that is too bad.

I also have found the homescreen to be a bit slow e.g. you press A to load a game but after the press there are still a few seconds where you can move the cursor around.

Overall not that annoyed, but I think I will definitely give some pause for thought before picking up a launch console in the future.

QR works (on the games it works with, eg Forza yes, CoD no) if you go 'Home' before turning the console off. It doesn't (always) work if you turn it straight off from within a game, in my experience.

If you really want to test it, download The Messenger from Gamepass (best game on the system anyway) - that thing stays in QR regardless. I've left it a week and played all sorts in between but it's still ready to go. It seems I could be cryogenically frozen for a thousand years and it'd still be ready to carry on from where I was when I came back.

1 minute ago, KRP said:

Overall not that annoyed, but I think I will definitely give some pause for thought before picking up a launch console in the future.

I think software problems here and there are always going to plague new consoles these days to one degree or another. As long as the hardware is solid the rest can be fixed by patches.

Now if you'd have bought a Xbox 360 at launch.....