Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

5 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I just don't understand how we can all be having such different experiences with QR. I must have read almost every permutation from all the time to never at all. All on the same hardware, OS and same games.

Valhalla is especially buggy with it for me, even opening an app causes the game to quit. That's obviously not supposed to happen. 

When QR was working on that game it would load me in with an invisible world map and then crash as soon as I moved outside of whatever area I had loaded into. 

7 minutes ago, Pob said:

Quick Resume works for me if I push down hard on the tape deck while the game is loading.

Think it was the C64 I had to move the cassette deck around to get things to load. Never knew why - it wasn't just in my head though. Those games would definitely not load in certain positions near the TV. Also remember fiddling around with with a screwdriver to align the heads... :D Don't get me started on Lenslok and other copy protection things (colour codes in Jet Set Willy etc). It was a game in itself to actually get to play the games back then... 

18 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I just don't understand how we can all be having such different experiences with QR. I must have read almost every permutation from all the time to never at all. All on the same hardware, OS and same games.

Yes, it seems like I wasn't getting many QR starts but now, it seems to happen most of the time, even with the same games.

Gears 5 does it excellently, in that it does all it's multiplayer connections once you start matchmaking. Apex Legends resumes to a lobby then kicks me out 10 seconds later, so it can connect again. 

I assume that this is something that will be adopted for all MS published games, and hopefully some 3rd parties too. 

13 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Valhalla is especially buggy with it for me, even opening an app causes the game to quit. That's obviously not supposed to happen.

There might be something in this actually - we use the Disney+ app quite a lot which didn't affect games at all on the One X but might indeed be responsible for shunting them out of memory on the Series X. Like you say, clearly not supposed to happen.

On 26/11/2020 at 03:34, SteveH said:

In the power settings there is a check box to power down external storage when the console is off.

I can’t see one, even if you select full shutdown’ the led on my WD black drive still pulses away

21 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

There might be something in this actually - we use the Disney+ app quite a lot which didn't affect games at all on the One X but might indeed be responsible for shunting them out of memory on the Series X. Like you say, clearly not supposed to happen.

Yet one of the MS help articles I was pointed to states clearly that Apps are not supported by QR and don't impact QR as they are typically much smaller in size and don't benefit from it.

2 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Yet one of the MS help articles I was pointed to states clearly that Apps are not supported by QR and don't impact QR as they are typically much smaller in size and don't benefit from it.

Yeah, it's always been that way, the games and the apps kind of exist in separate spaces so you could always keep a game in memory while using as many apps as you want. There's every chance that's not working properly or is bugged in some way on the Series X though.

43 minutes ago, Pob said:

Quick Resume works for me if I push down hard on the tape deck while the game is loading.

Only if you shut your eyes at the last few seconds of the loading screen and listen for the title music. 

Quick Resume is turned on/off per game I believe on the server side and it is disabled for most games now.

I think Microsoft has some more work to do.

I am expecting a first big OS bug fix update this week or possibly next week. But I reckon Quick Resume is going to take a bit longer to work reliably. 

51 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Quick Resume is turned on/off per game I believe on the server side and it is disabled for most games now.

I think Microsoft has some more work to do.

I am expecting a first big OS bug fix update this week or possibly next week. But I reckon Quick Resume is going to take a bit longer to work reliably. 

Works for me on Yakuza, Tetris Effect and FH...

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

Think it was the C64 I had to move the cassette deck around to get things to load. Never knew why - it wasn't just in my head though. Those games would definitely not load in certain positions near the TV. Also remember fiddling around with with a screwdriver to align the heads... :D Don't get me started on Lenslok and other copy protection things (colour codes in Jet Set Willy etc). It was a game in itself to actually get to play the games back then... 

I had different piles of books to use as weights on the tape deck to load different games on the C64. Fun times. 

10 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Just downloaded the OS update. Around 690MB.

New backgrounds, Auto HDR indicator on games and usual stability improvements. 

Gears Tactics just used QR!!! Hold me!

heres hoping it comes with firmware update for the controller audio issue, was doing my head in last night playing with mates. 

19 minutes ago, fattakin said:

heres hoping it comes with firmware update for the controller audio issue, was doing my head in last night playing with mates. 

What’s the controller audio issue? I had what sounded like static in the first week, but it seems to have gone away on its own.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

What’s the controller audio issue? I had what sounded like static in the first week, but it seems to have gone away on its own.

If you stop any input on the controller, after 10s the audio will break up - very apparent in party chat. Only happens with new controller, XB1 controllers not affected. 4 of us last night had it, which was not fun when different peoples audio breaking up at different times. 

I can confirm that QR doesn't work with Twin Mirrors that I picked up this morning. It also doesn't seem to work reliably with WRC9. Though I am in the preview alpha program so some of it could be affected by that as well.

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

I can confirm that QR doesn't work with Twin Mirrors that I picked up this morning. It also doesn't seem to work reliably with WRC9. Though I am in the preview alpha program so some of it could be affected by that as well.

Doesn’t work for me in any game anymore. Tetris Effect, WRC 9, Sekiro...

2 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The update broke HDMI CEC for me. Tv doesn’t turn on with Xbox anymore. 

That's never worked for me, although it does work for my switch. My TV is quite cheap so could just be that.

TVs are so much more complicated these days (at least to me) that I'm not surprised people are having issues.