Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

8 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I can sign in again. How do I make it my primary console so that doesn’t happen again? 

I don’t know as haven’t had an Xbox since the 360 but I assume this will work if it’s the same UI as the Bone. 

4A154E5D-7CFD-4A93-A125-1528A5569410.thumb.jpeg.0ca2bc9de0c18a4d563f42b376aba04c.jpeg

3 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I got to say, launch day is not quite what it used to be.

Unboxing and setting up is great. Let's go. Oh, I need to download an app on my phone in order to setup the console? Ok, done. Oh, you need an update. Ok, let's get that downloaded. Oh, now you want to update the firmware on the controller. Sure, ok, then let's play Forza Horizon 4! Oh, I need to move it from the external drive to the internal drive. Er sure, ok big game but let's do it. Woop, done. Let's play! This game needs a 64gb update. *sigh*, I'll play it tomorrow.

Do you have to download the app? You can't set it up without?

19 minutes ago, bignige said:

I was surprised by the lack of optical too. 
Thankfully, my Astro Mixamp had had a firmware update to bypass the optical cable altogether and now pumps out the audio via USB. 

Oh really? Thats what I have so I'll see if that works.

7 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Copied Modern Warfare over to the local drive and it won’t boot the game. Just takes me back to the Home Screen after a few seconds every time. Tried restart, power cycle etc. No joy.

Disappoint.

Every time that has happened to me today it is because it needs to update. Might be the case for modern warfare too?

3 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Every time that has happened to me today it is because it needs to update. Might be the case for modern warfare too?

Unfortunately not, it had already finished an update prior to me transferring it over to the local drive. I’m having a go at transferring it back to the external drive to see if that works but I’m not holding out

much hope.

13 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Copied Modern Warfare over to the local drive and it won’t boot the game. Just takes me back to the Home Screen after a few seconds every time. Tried restart, power cycle etc. No joy.

Disappoint.

It happened to me with Tetris Effect. Had to uninstall and reinstall it but it worked afterwards. That's a bit more of an issue for Modern Warfare considering the size of the game. 

24 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It happened to me with Tetris Effect. Had to uninstall and reinstall it but it worked afterwards. That's a bit more of an issue for Modern Warfare considering the size of the game. 

Hmm, wonder what’s causing it? If transferring it back to the external drive doesn’t work then I’ll guess I’ll reinstall it overnight. Ta.

Edit: Transferring back to the external seemed to do the trick...

So I’m erring on the side of caution and copying my games from SSD rather than moving them.  Once I’m happy I will boot up without the SSD attached and check they’re running properly before removing them off the SSD.  

I would say for the first hour or so the Xbox Series X was on it was pretty flakey in performance, it was obviously doing stuff that I wasn’t paying attention to, then all these updates popped in my Updates area, set a few of them off.  

COD I’ve launched from SSD and it works fine and there’s updates you can install from within the game.

31 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Oh really? Thats what I have so I'll see if that works.

I thought that’s what you might have. 
On PC go to MS store and search Astro Command Center and download the app. 

Launch the app, plug in amp, put in PC mode (hold down power until it goes white) and update firmware. 

Bin optical cable and plug usb into XSX. 

It works as I’m using it at the mo. 

7 minutes ago, bignige said:

I thought that’s what you might have. 
On PC go to MS store and search Astro Command Center and download the app. 

Launch the app, plug in amp, put in PC mode (hold down power until it goes white) and update firmware. 

Bin optical cable and plug usb into XSX. 

It works as I’m using it at the mo. 

Is that for the Xbox version or would it work on the PS4 version to do you know?

Series S here. All set up in a breeze from an account not used for a couple of months. Downloaded some smaller games - Tetris effect is great. All fab so far, quiet, cool and the controller feels like an upgrade in quality.

A quick question about plugging it into an AV amp. I’ve an old Yamaha amp that’s pre HDMI 2, my S won’t work so I’m plugging direct to TV. Is something wrong or will the S not work with the yamaha because of HDMI 2? 

cheers

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

What setting are people choosing? Instant On or Energy Saving? Does anyone know how much energy it gobbles with the former mode as a 20 second boot seems fine if it saves me a bit on my electricity bill.

On the older models it was something like 15w vs 0.5w. I'm not sure if the figures are out there for these new ones. In the world of updates n shit though, instant on means it can download them without you forcing it to by trying to launch a game - it will do it itself overnight or whatever.

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Fuck me if I see Syncing data one more time!

How else is it meant to downloaded your cloud saves?

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

So is everyone moving stuff from their old external Hard Drives to the internal SSD to get the benefit of the faster load times or do games specifically require optimisation for this to happen?

Nope, I'm leaving everything on there except the X optimised stuff because there is little to no benefit if it's a USB3.1 SSD.

2 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

FFS console doesn't automatically set itself to be your home console so now I can't play any of my games because Xbox Live is down and I can't sign in rn...

It was simpler in the N64 days (the last console I got at launch).

Well after setting mine up using the phone app it was set up as my son's Home Xbox exactly the same as my One X was.

22 minutes ago, choduk said:

Same. I told myself that I didn't want or need a new console at the moment - with a precarious work situation and no games I really want. But today's FOMO got the better of me and I thought fuck it, I got some money for my Birthday back in January that I had originally earmarked for a new console anyway. So I'll bloody well get one. I can always sell it if things go tits up.

Lockdown. Entertainment. Upgrade! :)

Just want to say. Really, really happy with my decision. Love this console. So damn quick and snappy. The loading speed makes a huge difference. :) 

Having all my Xbox content in one place. Lovely.

12 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Well after setting mine up using the phone app it was set up as my son's Home Xbox exactly the same as my One X was.

Well mine was not. I may have missed a setting when setting up via the phone app but I'd suggest people check. Kotaku suggest that this is the default behaviour as well https://kotaku.com/tip-make-your-new-xbox-your-home-xbox-asap-1845635397

As someone else who skipped a generation, this has been an absolute delight! Whilst the console was updating I logged into gamepass on my phone, and it was like being a child in some kind of store. The Outer Wilds! The Outer Worlds! Wasteland 2, 3 AND 1! As well as a whole bunch of classics from years past. So many games I have wanted to play all there for me for free (£121 for 3 years, which is way less than I'd be spending on the eshop). I've tried to pace myself, and thought I'd just give Tetris Effect a quick go (seemed wrong for it to be Wasteland 1) Wow! Incredible game, bloody loved it.

Haven't tried quick resume or any fancy stuff yet, and I'm getting a new TV on Thursday, so I'll be able to appreciate the graphics then. But honestly I think it's an amazing piece of kit and I'm delighted with it.

2 minutes ago, Escaped said:

There's no way to record more than 3 minutes of gameplay at 720p on the S? That's a big, annoying comedown from 30 on my PS4.

I thought the same but I have nearly 400gb of gameplay recording on my PS4, I tried to sort it the other day but there is too much!

19 minutes ago, Escaped said:

There's no way to record more than 3 minutes of gameplay at 720p on the S? That's a big, annoying comedown from 30 on my PS4.

There is with a separate external drive, not sure how much you can record at a time.