Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

Anyone else a little underwhelmed, i knew all along there was no killer launch title, i knew it was more or less the same UI, but i love new hardware. So waking up this morning was the great feeling you only get on release day. Setup with the phone app was nice, moving my stuff across lovely, and then.... well not much when it comes to playing games. 

I swore i would wait till a decent launch title came out, but got sucked in during pre-orders and here i am...maybe its being nearly 50, i have turned into a grumpy old man. 

When the XboxOne launched there was some interesting stuff with the TV integration and i blitzed through Battlefield, but not a patch on the Xbox 360 launch... or the switch for that matter. 

It does feel a little like the Xbox One X launch, technically its an improvement  but the difference it will make to me playing games right now is very little.

4 minutes ago, zoo said:

Anyone else a little underwhelmed, i knew all along there was no killer launch title, i knew it was more or less the same UI, but i love new hardware. So waking up this morning was the great feeling you only get on release day. Setup with the phone app was nice, moving my stuff across lovely, and then.... well not much when it comes to playing games. 

I swore i would wait till a decent launch title came out, but got sucked in during pre-orders and here i am...maybe its being nearly 50, i have turned into a grumpy old man. 

When the XboxOne launched there was some interesting stuff with the TV integration and i blitzed through Battlefield, but not a patch on the Xbox 360 launch... or the switch for that matter. 

It does feel a little like the Xbox One X launch, technically its an improvement  but the difference it will make to me playing games right now is very little.

I think underwhelmed is the wrong word for me as I was expecting this. It feels like a mid gen upgrade or new iPhone but to be fair, that’s how they sold it. I think they’ve realised that they don’t want to compete in traditional terms (like Nintendo did way back when) and went their own way.

I've had an excellent evening.

Was browsing the same games I had two days prior on my one x and feeling underwhelmed like above.

Then I downloaded Tetris Effect and have had the best evening of gaming I've had in ages.

Actually felt euphoric playing it with the headphones on.

Had never played it before so having it come to Game Pass yesterday feels like a launch title and it's fucking ACE!!

Series X is snappy as fuck too!

Yeah, i was going to ask how launch day impressions of the Series S were going so don't know where to ask that now. 

So, umm, I'll ask here.

How is the S, for those that have it? I'm waiting on mine to arrive and, while it is being bought as a reintroduction to the Xbox family after skipping the One, with a view to my future PS5 being my "main", I'm getting serious launch day envy over the Series X, and wondering if I should have just future proofed my purchase and got that.

So how does the S feel? I haven't had either of the upgraded consoles this gen, so I hope the S still feels like a marked improvement. I hope it feels more like next-gen rather than just the Xbox One I missed out on (though admittedly, I'm primarily going to be playing Gears, Halo, Sea of Thieves and other things I didn't get the chance to try last gen). 

Anyone with an S feeling launch day regrets and looking forlornly at its bigger brother, or have you felt the difference even with the smaller console? 

37 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

How are the batteries?

Fully charged. Going to need to get new headphones anyway due to the lack of optical out. But something is definitely wrong with the headphone output on the controller. I'll try another one later.

As for games tried so far. Ghost Recon: Breakpoint looks a lot cleaner and plays a lot smoother........apart from odd glitches as bad guys run towards you and go to shout something. At which point there is a split second freeze and sound glitch :( Could be a compatibility issue though.

Forza Horizon 4 looks fantastic and is so smooth now. That played flawlessly to be honest. Just disappointed as I play a lot in the night when I can't sleep, but the headphone thing is a real problem at the moment. So not massively impressed so far....apart from the load times, which with FH4 and Ghost Recon are so much faster. 

No underwhelming for me, absolutely loving it. 

It helps that I didn't have the mid gen consoles and had largely abandoned the Bone because it was so shit compared even to the ps4 slim. So there's loads of stuff on gamepass I never played or have only played on that crappy console. 

Really like the new box. Played some Falconeer in 120fps on the new telly, some Warzone which was definitely a bit smoother and shuttled Dying Light from the usb drive took only a few minutes. Feel a bit sorry looking at the silent One X beside it as it’s hardly a machine that has been maxed out. 

Overall I like it. Unfortunately I've had the 4K/ VRR/ 120mhz issue but that should be fixed easily enough. They still have the audio sync issue with bitstream out and certain amps and TV's. Was really hoping they'd fix that rather than sticking with blaming the other manufacturers.

5 hours ago, Parksey said:

Yeah, i was going to ask how launch day impressions of the Series S were going so don't know where to ask that now. 

So, umm, I'll ask here.

How is the S, for those that have it? I'm waiting on mine to arrive and, while it is being bought as a reintroduction to the Xbox family after skipping the One, with a view to my future PS5 being my "main", I'm getting serious launch day envy over the Series X, and wondering if I should have just future proofed my purchase and got that.

So how does the S feel? I haven't had either of the upgraded consoles this gen, so I hope the S still feels like a marked improvement. I hope it feels more like next-gen rather than just the Xbox One I missed out on (though admittedly, I'm primarily going to be playing Gears, Halo, Sea of Thieves and other things I didn't get the chance to try last gen). 

Anyone with an S feeling launch day regrets and looking forlornly at its bigger brother, or have you felt the difference even with the smaller console? 

Very impressed with mine. Lovely and small. Silent at all times, so far. Gives off warmth from the ‘speaker’, but that’s the idea of it.

The ps5 will be my main like you, where I’ll play all the Sony exclusives and big AAAs. Given I’ve got the S on a 1080p monitor (the 5 will go on the UHD TV) it feels like the perfect & affordable way to access gamepass and catch up on old Xbox games (not had one since 360) whilst also knowing I won’t miss the new ones from this gen.

Only dived into a couple of games so far but they’ve looked and ran lovely. For me the PS5 and series x would be overkill right now. You should feel very happy with the S given you’ll get a PS5 so that envy of the series X will soon go.

6 hours ago, zoo said:

Frankly yeah, me too. Not having a tent pole title for launch is a huge shame. Game pass is incredible value and if your coming at gaming or the Xbox from a time away then it’s even more amazing. But I’ve played all the AAA stuff and no real drive to return to it. 

& tetris effect looks amazing but i’ld rather put the VR headset back on. 

‘Like buying a new phone’ is spot on. The same but slightly better. Ironically I got the consoles this Xmas because I had no need for a slightly better phone... 

Of course If infinite had been ready then it would have been a completely different story. 

And when it is I don’t have to pay any more! 

And forza horizon 5 will appear at some point. So it’s just a matter of time. 

Till then it will be my Indie games in game pass machine. And that’s fine by me. 

I was feeling a smidge underwhelmed, until I launched Final Fantasy XV.  I was absolutely amazed, and then “I got it”.

Everyone will probably have their own game that will do that.

Im looking forward to the likes of Ori and Star Wars Squadrons too.  But it feels weird I’ve not spent £££ to play a shiny newer version. Why does my brain want me to have done this? With Switch, I played BOTW on Wii U then decided to get a Switch and BOTW and when I had done that I was like “awww, yeh!”  It makes no sense :lol: we are spoilt by Game Pass etc!!!

I'm one of those who dipped out of Xbox last generation. So it's been incredible. Forza, Halo 4 and Outer Worlds yesterday. Love the quick resume feature.

Only thing I dislike? Can't read tips on loading screens any more - this thing's too damned fast!

Really impressed with my X.

Pros: Download speeds have been really good, hitting 70-90mbps where PS4 Pro and Xbox One can’t get anywhere near that. Controller is obviously very similar to before but has a better feel to it. The console looks amazing and is completely silent in normal operation. The benefits of fast loading, switching between apps and general moving around cannot be praised highly enough. 

Cons: Blu Ray drive is just as noisy as the One S before it, guess I expected it to be but it’s disappointing. UI is the same, not just similar it is exactly the same, would have preferred a bit of a make over! I had to change the colour scheme just so I had something different to look at. 

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Overall I like it. Unfortunately I've had the 4K/ VRR/ 120mhz issue but that should be fixed easily enough. They still have the audio sync issue with bitstream out and certain amps and TV's. Was really hoping they'd fix that rather than sticking with blaming the other manufacturers.

How did the issue manifest itself? Only game I’ve tried is Ori and I didn’t notice anything. 

26 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Really impressed with my X.

Pros: Download speeds have been really good, hitting 70-90mbps where PS4 Pro and Xbox One can’t get anywhere near that. Controller is obviously very similar to before but has a better feel to it. The console looks amazing and is completely silent in normal operation. The benefits of fast loading, switching between apps and general moving around cannot be praised highly enough. 

Cons: Blu Ray drive is just as noisy as the One S before it, guess I expected it to be but it’s disappointing. UI is the same, not just similar it is exactly the same, would have preferred a bit of a make over! I had to change the colour scheme just so I had something different to look at. 

I guess they could have left the recent ‘rounded’ OS makeover till launch but that would have meant less testing and more potential issues. I agree that it looking the same takes something away from the experience considering you’ve made a big outlay. 

I’m not sure I personally agree with the phone thing though I get the comparison. It seems like a bigger thing than that to me. You’re getting a lot more benefits and the proper software designed for the thing has not even started arriving yet. 

Its like a brilliant package for the future with really good improvements you can take advantage of now. 

I’ve decided to unplug my USB drive. it was spoiling the look but also it was making too much noise! Whirring away. It was louder than the console itself! If I can resist the urge to splash £220 on the expansion I think I can get past the initial phase of wanting to have everything installed. 

I like the way we have a hardware impressions thread as there is nothing to play on it. :lol:

Anyway, set mine up last night. It’s way too big but at least it seems quiet.   Looks monstrous compared to other consoles. Pad is ok, a and b buttons are still the wrong way around, this is the 4th gen of Xbox and they still don’t conform to Nintendo’s industry standard. Wifi is finally a decent speed.

Best bit was unpacking the console, really nicely designed packaging. Felt almost premium. 

39 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

How did the issue manifest itself? Only game I’ve tried is Ori and I didn’t notice anything. 

To be fair I only tried it with Falconeer but was so alarmed at the garbled mess on my screen that I disabled 120mhz and didn't try again. Picture keeps dropping to a black screen or you get a distorted picture flashing. 

Having said that I might try Ori and see if its there too as after trying to play Falconeer its clear that its not exactly short of a few bugs.

Make sure to turn on the dynamic theme if you haven't already. I mean, it's not incredibly exciting or anything but at least it makes the dashboard look a bit different than it did before. Hopefully they'll often more variations of it soon enough.

PS4 exclusive last gen, and haven't played an Xbox since 2012. Random thoughts:

• The controller feels so so good to hold, but I have taken umpteen screenshots fumbling for the option or menu key or whatever it's called
  • I initially put the batteries in the wrong way so was wondering for about 5 minutes why If I had I duff controller :doh:
  • Never had a controller firmware update before!
  • The controller/devices options in the OS should detect I have a blue controller and color code them in the OS
  • The OS is fast, but a little confusing, I need to get my head around it still
  • Game Pass is :o
  • Is there a way to see how long a download will take? It has percentage, how much downloaded/left to go, but no time left as far as I can see
  • Is there a way to reclaim the gamertag I had years ago on X360? I now need to have a gamertag which is hubtwo1234?

Sounds like a bunch of complaints, but really only niggles. I love it!

7 hours ago, Parksey said:

So, umm, I'll ask here.

Loving the S. It does exactly what MS said it does; next gen without the 4K, a lot of preview vids that were linked on here was a lot of bollocks. If you’re not expecting the  4K performance of the X then it wouldn’t disappoint. The console itself is so sleek and well designed it feels like a mid cycle upgrade rather than a launch console. The smaller downloads for S games makes memory not as much of an issue, another bizarre remark from the reviews which stated that they only managed to have a few games  on it. Got Tetris effect and watchdogs, as well as a handful of Xbone games and a couple of dozen 360 games and plenty of space left. I hear COD have stupidly large downloads so maybe they had three of those on it. 

3 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Loving the S. It does exactly what MS said it does; next gen without the 4K, a lot of preview vids that were linked on here was a lot of bollocks. If you’re not expecting the  4K performance of the X then it wouldn’t disappoint. The console itself is so sleek and well designed it feels like a mid cycle upgrade rather than a launch console. The smaller downloads for S games makes memory not as much of an issue, another bizarre remark from the reviews which stated that they only managed to have a few games  on it. Got Tetris effect and watchdogs, as well as a handful of Xbone games and a couple of dozen 360 games and plenty of space left. I hear COD have stupidly large downloads so maybe they had three of those on it. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-s-big-interview

Piece on Eurogamer about the S. Interesting reasons for its existence and makes perfect sense why they didn't just use the One X as a base machine.

Fundamentally the S and X are the same platform going forward. Just one is obviously less powerful than the other are targets gamers who just want to stick with 1080p res but get some of the new shinies... 

54 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

a and b buttons are still the wrong way around

As someone raised on Sega who has only just recently managed to rewire  his brain to the Nintendo layout... I have to agree, this is now driving me crazy. :lol:

But hey, Xbox has always been modelled on the Dreamcast button layout - and when your industry leader doesn’t even have an A or a B button on their pad, I don’t think we can decry Microsoft too much.

The pad does feel great in the hands overall - and the stick travel is buttery smooth.