Games on your new toys... What are you playing?

10 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Coming back to Xbox has been so nice! I found I could download some of my old Arcade purchases, so been playing Ikaruga! Got stuck into No Man’s Sky and it rocks. Also had a go on Gears Tactics and like it more than I thought I would. Played Tetris with the wife, last time we played together was Portal 2 on Xbox! Currently downloading Yakuza 0. I’m like a kid in a sweet shop! Game Pass FTW!!1

Fantastic it isn't it. I had before Ikaruga and Radient Silvergun just sat there waiting to be dowloaded. Bought these way back on the 360. Lovely to not lose access to them. Along with everything else that I've bought/acquired over the years. Also good to know MS refine the emulation too...

8 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Well, so far I've not played anything that I hadn't played on my One X, little underwhelmed so far.

That MIGHT be because I had to move it from the back office to the front, so that I could get on next doors wifi, theirs is a respectable 15 - 20 Mbps, compared to my 1.47 Mbps, the first day took me about 18 hours to download the 28GB update for GTA V.

Played a bit of GTA, FH4, mostly Pinball FX 2 ( which is better than 3 IMHO ) and then fired up AC: Black Flag, tonight I have finally beat the last Legendary ship, after playing that game for God knows how many years, all icons on the map cleared... ALL OF THEM !!

Does GTA V get a FPS boost on xsx?  60 ?

22 minutes ago, simms said:

Does GTA V get a FPS boost on xsx?  60 ?

Not quite sure yet, because it's been moved to my desk for d/l speed, it's also running on a tiny £4 24" telly, but I did drive round a good portion of the map for about 15 - 20 mins, just racing around, it sure felt fast and very smooth.

I’ve been switching between a few, namely...

FH4

I burnt out on the main game when I originally got it, so I’ve got the Fortune Island and Lego DLCs to play, so it feels like a new game to me. It an excellent advert for the system as well. Quick and beautiful.

Fallen Order

Seeing as EA Play is now free with GPU, it’d be rude not to. I’ve not really played any of this before either, so another excellent new game to me.

Destiny 2

I know the Series patch isn’t live yet (when is that by the way?), but another game I haven’t played for a long time. Beyond Light looks great so far and it’s a properly good looking game these days. Can’t wait to get stuck back in.

Then I’ve still got to try...

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

I was having stick drift issues and gave up on this at the worm boss, but now it’s got up to 120fps, I’m well up for getting stuck back in and finishing it.

Gears 5

I gave up at the Matriarch boss fight, but because of the upgrades, it’s another I’m going to try and finish.

Halo: MCC

Just waiting for the Series patch to drop, then I’ll probably have another run through the entire series. The original is a till the best FPS ever made.

To me, that is a fucking amazing set of games that all play better on the Series X and are mostly new to me. It’s like the best launch lineup ever, if they’re new to you.

Saying that, I’m still baffled that MS didn’t have something more in the pipeline than Halo: Infinite for launch. We all know what’s happened there, so it has left their ‘brand new’ games roster bare. The console itself is excellent though and the speed really is a game changer.

I’m also pretty jealous of Demon’s Souls, but other than that, there’s not much else for me on PS5 at the moment, so it can wait until they’re more easily available and I’ve got some spare cash.

All in all, I’m well pleased with it. All we need now is for their recent acquisitions to start delivering.

51 minutes ago, JPL said:

Saying that, I’m still baffled that MS didn’t have something more in the pipeline than Halo: Infinite for launch. We all know what’s happened there, so it has left their ‘brand new’ games roster bare. The console itself is excellent though and the speed really is a game changer.

It's interesting and certainly a shift. But on par think GamePass is their wildcard here. Lets face it there is an abundance of games to play. Agree though a game to show the power of the console would have been welcomed not just patches to existing games (which does demonstrate the power - just many have played these before). To be fair though Gears Of War 5 and Forza Horizon 4 for example are constantly evolving. Like many games these days.

35 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It's interesting and certainly a shift. But on par think GamePass is their wildcard here. Lets face it there is an abundance of games to play. Agree though a game to show the power of the console would have been welcomed not just patches to existing games (which does demonstrate the power - just many have played these before). To be fair though Gears Of War 5 and Forza Horizon 4 for example are constantly evolving. Like many games these days.

Well yeah, Gamepass is excellent. All the games I’ve listed above are on there and to be honest, even though they’re last gen games, because they were developed late into the system’s lives, devs had a real handle on things and they’re probably better than most new games you get at the start of a generation, especially if there’s plenty of new content to try. Plus, I haven’t spent a penny and it’s only going to get better as this new gen matures!

Like I said though, the only one that’s making me jealous is DS, but by the time I get a PS5, hopefully prices have levelled out a bit and there are a few more games I want.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Like I said though, the only one that’s making me jealous is DS, but by the time I get a PS5, hopefully prices have levelled out a bit and there are a few more games I want.

It might even make an appearance on another format over the next 6 months to be fair. It might have timed exclusivity they aren't just making any noise about it. However if the remaster is funded not a chance we'll see it on MS consoles although it might make its way to PC depending how Sony feel. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Just now, MattyP said:

It might even make an appearance on another format over the next 6 months to be fair. It might have timed exclusivity they aren't just making any noise about it. However if the remaster is funded not a chance we'll see it on MS consoles although it might make its way to PC depending how Sony feel. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

I don’t have a PC and I doubt it’ll ever come to Xbox. Still, it gives me an excuse to get a PS5 at some point!

The first game I played on my S was Supraland, mainly because it was small and quick to download so I could mess about with something while the bigger stuff trickled down the pipe in the background. It seems nice and fun and I will go back to it sooner or later, but there is a LOT of other stuff to play!

As I’m gradually downloading everything on my Game Pass “play later” list, I’ve been trying to give everything a quick go, which means I’ve dabbled/watched intro movies/played tutorial levels for lots of games just to get a quick first impression. Of them, the ones I’ve tried so far that I’m really looking forward to playing properly include Tell Me Why, Gears Tactics, Jedi Fallen Order, The Touryst, Spiritfarer, Ori (both), Nier: Automata, Titanfall 2, Wasteland 3, Gears 5, and Alien Isolation. 

But already there are a few games that I keep going back to in between trying out more new stuff. These are Forza Horizon 4, Hotshot Racing, Tetris Effect and The Turing Test.

And I’ve still got Destiny 2, Forza 7 and The Outer Worlds downloaded and waiting to be tried, Doom Eternal in the download queue, and then there are still loads more on my play later list including Yakuza (starting with Zero as instructed by the thread title), Astroneer, Slay the Spire, No Man’s Sky, Kingdom Hearts (all of them), Monster Hunter World, The Witcher 3 and Sea of Thieves. And then next week there’s the updated Master Chief Collection.

I never need to buy another game as long as I live!

I've been playing The Pathless on my shiny, new... iPhone 12 :)
It's good, the movement is great, it's very atmospheric and the music is lovely. The game is basically cutting about across a big landscape and doing environmental puzzles, a bit like the shrines from BotW, they've all been quite basic so far. I'm enjoying it but it performs really poorly, like single digit frame rate at points. The lowest iPhone supported is the iPhone 7.. I can't imagine how it would be perform on that.

Tetris Effect

Like many others here it seems this was the first thing I played on my new Series X and it’s just a masterpiece. A transcendent fusion of sound and colour that reaffirms Mizuguchi (affectionately known around these parts as ‘Rez Cunt’) as one of gaming’s great visionaries.

Forza Horizon 4

The one series that I sorely missed as a PS4-only owner this has been an absolutely sumptuous treat for the senses and on firing it up for the first time it blew my eyes out of their sockets. Playground Games have refined their craft to a fine sheen.

Destiny 2: Beyond Light

I’ve been playing Destiny since day one for coming up to 6 years now and having the new expansion available day one via GamePass had me sat there chuckling like a kid in a sweet shop at the ridiculous value of it. Beyond Light is good, it’s just a shame that the next-gen 4k/60 patch isn’t available for a few weeks but the massively improved loading times have already made it a much more enjoyable experience.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Had been looking to get this at some point so having it included in EA Play via GamePass was a nice turn up for the books. I’m really really enjoying it too. Star Wars crossed with Uncharted and Tomb Raider is a combination that was always likely to be right up my alley but it’s even better than I hoped for. Very polished and well crafted game as you’d expect from Respawn and the Souls-esque lightsaber combat and Metroidvania structure have both been an unexpected delight. Beautiful vistas and locations that look absolutely stunning at a smooth 60fps and it’s captured the tone of Star Wars perfectly. Hopping back in every afternoon via quick resume to do a planet a day has been a great experience.

No Man’s Sky

Have been playing this a lot on PS4 recently after the fantastic latest update and wanted to see what it looked like all next-gen’d up so I could make a direct comparison. Looks absolutely astonishing now running at 60fps with greatly improved textures, ground detail and draw distance. All the residual jankiness has gone and it plays and looks like a far-flung sci-fi dream now, painted in a palette of colours straight from the cover of a 70s sci-fi novel. Lovely stuff. Just gotta build a base on some distant shore all over again now...

The Talos Principle, Lonely Mountains: Downhill, Slay The Spire

Three perfect examples of games that I probably wouldn’t buy outright but as they’re on GamePass have been happy to try out and have been really enjoying. Talos Principle leaves the service on Monday so I’ll see if I can squeeze it out over the weekend.

So all in all I’ve been having a fucking great time with my new toy. It is a real shame that the one ball that Microsoft dropped was a lack of proper next-gen games on day one to really show what the machine is capable of. But the impact of this has been reduced for me due to being a returner to the Xbox fold, so I’m not really complaining and I’ve literally never had a bigger selection of games to play.

A brilliant way to end a shitty year. :)

So i've given grounded and tetris quick goes, tried the fifa 21 trial and then bought that on the playstation 4.

The game i've found myself really drawn to at the moment though is Wasteland 3, it's by no means perfect but it's really good fun, you do have to really think about some of the missions and there tend's to be  multiple ways of taking them on ^_^ Just yeah, quite enjoying it and it's easy enough to play when the little one is taking up some of my attention too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well coming upto week three:-

Knights and Bikes - Completed loved it.

Man Of Medan - Spooky ghost story - completed.

Full Throttle  - Old school enjoyed and completed.

Day Of The Tentacle - See above.

I've not actually done so much gaming for a long while... love how quickly it gets me back into the game!

Currently playing through Gears 5 because for some reason never finished it last year. Got part way through Act 1. Really enjoying it on the X. Lovely visuals and so smooth.

Also still working my way through Halo on/off. Interleaved with a bit of Hot Shot Racing (which is a great old school little arcade racer).

Other things I have been playing in between everything else is having some shooty fun with Radiant Silvergun and Space Giraffe! :D

Hardly anything revolutionary and to be fair didn't warrant the purchase of a new console but its much faster than my PC and I've been playing and enjoying more. Win/Win.

Did have doubts earlier as to whether I went to right way (should have got a PS5?!). But GamePass and my backlog of 360 games has been fantastic to tap into. So happy with the way I went.

Oh not forgetting Tetris Effect. Brilliant brilliant game. Go to game for a chill. Headphones on zone out. Awesome stuff!

Destiny 2 on PS5

Destiny 2 on Xbox SS

Destiny 2 on PC

Lots of hours finishing off my Days Gone PS4 save and it feels like a different game on Ps5. Few hours of Forza 4 and finally understanding why people go on about it all the time, Astrobot and Spider-man remastered (only because they patched in the save game transfer).

Less than 30 minutes on Ori, River City Girls, Miles Morales, Resident Evil 3. All of which I know are bangers so saving for some mythical time when I’m done with all the Destiny 2 admin.

Downloaded Marvel V Capcom 4 to test the new Xbox clickety click dpad (it’s good).

5 minutes on Halo 5 and Gears V. Oh dear. So much shouting in those two.

I finally got the gold medals on all twelve events in Days Gone challenge mode. Boy, if you really hate yourself I highly recommend it. 10 of the 12 gold medals are fairly doable after a bit of practice but the final two took me over 12 hours alone. It's a 0.1% trophy for good reason. Proper designed by Satan stuff, lovely at 60fps though :lol:

Having had a PS5 since Saturday, I've rinsed Astro Bot, and then promptly returned to plowing my way through Persona 5 Royal, a game which ran at 4K 60fps on PS4 Pro already and had very little loading to begin with, and so sees no benefit whatsoever from the PS5 bar a more comfortable controller (and having to manually turn off HDR at system level to avoid the game looking washed out).

I make good decisions.

Mostly Yakuza: Like A Dragon if it's a quiet night in. it's nice to sit down to a really big adventure game - finally having some way to play Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown on PC is quite nice, too. Absolutely can hammer a new graphics card, too - can run it at 120 or 144fps at 1440p, but I keep it at 100 capped so the fans don't go fucking nuts.

Recently though, me and some friends have been getting into Deep Rock Galactic due to having game pass for various reasons between ourselves, and it's absolutely wonderful - it has that right mix of structure in a level as you're digging the minerals that you have to collect, versus the absolute sheer fuckery that happens in intense firefights with 50+ spider aliens or completely maverick strategies to get to hard to reach areas (like drilling to get to a lower area only to misjudge it, end up 100ft above the chamber and fall to your death).

In terms of sheer enjoyment, best raw co-op experience I've had since... maybe Left 4 Dead? It's fucking great.

I've played so much in the three weeks since getting the S, I don't know where to start. Over the weekend I finished three games - I can't remember ever finishing two so close together!

First was Halo CE - I can see what the fuss was all about but ultimately FPSes aren't really my thing. And I think I made a mistake by using the updated graphics which made it more visually noisy and confusing than it should have been. If I ever play it again (and I would, but *points at all the other Game Pass games*) I'll stick to the original look for a more authentic Halo experience.

Next was Jedi: Fallen Order - this absolutely is my thing. A Star Wars action adventure that is properly fun to play, looks and sounds exactly right and tells a good story in a really great way. Again, I'd go back and mop up the secrets in areas I didn't explore but *gestures* y'know!

Then last night I finished The Turing Test which is a really neat third person puzzle game. It's perfect for gradually playing through a level or so at a time, with no time pressure or action, just ever more sophisticated puzzle mechanics and a fair bit of lateral thinking. I got all the achievements on this, including completing all the optional side-levels, so I must have liked it.

And at the same time I've been regularly playing Forza Horizon 4, Hotshot Racing, Tetris Effect and Slay the Spire (all four are ideal for just dipping into for a quick race or level, although Tetris can be hard to stop playing), last night I started (and eventually got stuck in!) Ori & the Blind Forest, and next, to take over the action/adventure slot from Halo & Jedi, I'm going to start Nier Automata.

I realise that all of these are me catching up with games that others played years or even decades ago, but that's what Game Pass is all about for me. It probably makes me a casual gamer but would a casual gamer finish three games in three days? (Yes.)

Last night I tried out some titles in Rare Replay, as it's what the Series X is all about, clearly.

Jet Force Gemini has aged incredibly badly. It's not unplayable by any means, but it looks so ugly and feels so janky these days. Disappointing, as I remember loving it back in the day.

Perfect Dark Zero still isn't any good, though it has some interesting ideas. Seeing one of the first iterations of a cover system in action was quite funny - the pop and shoot gameplay (with massive lock on auto-aim) when in cover works OK, and I like how the view switches from first to third person. You can't move at all when in cover, though, which feels very weird in 2020! I may play it a bit more, as I only went through the first level. The game still only runs at 30fps, unfortunately, although the horrible screen tearing seen on its release in 2005 is long gone. I have no idea if the multiplayer servers are still up - I remember quite liking the Infection mode back in the day. Given that Perfect Dark is rumoured to be getting a reboot from one of Microsoft's studio acquisitions (The Initiative?), it'll be cool to see how much it takes from the earlier games and what it jettisons, particularly as it may now have competition from IO's Bond game.

Perfect Dark (the original game) feels very much like a product of its time but it's still a pretty stylish one. The music is amazing even now, and while the gunplay is anachronistic it still feels fun. I'm sure I won't play through the whole game by any means, but at least the 360 Xbox Live Arcade version is relatively sharp and smooth (which is a godsend after how much the framerate used to tank in the N64 version), and it's good to have classics like this still available to play.