And I completely forgot, Frank Crichlow, the owner of the Mangrove, was the dad of my old friend Leah (short for Leanora) who I trained with as an actor and who you’ve probably seen in lots of things like Sugar Rush and Being Human because she’s rightfully done very well for herself.

This is really good so far but utterly horrible to see the lovely racism of the 1970 writ large. With the understanding this mindset still exists 50 years later.  

Only 25 mins in and think this is just gonna make me more and more angry. 

On 15/11/2020 at 23:40, Death's Head said:

Also, as a nerd I loved the period detail of it. It was great seeing the Westway being built  and the accurate tube stock. And the clothes and the music, man. Brilliant.

Yeah - I loved this too. I lived in Portnall Road and Ladbroke Grove in the late 80s and early 90s so I enjoyed seeing all that stuff. This is an interesting BBC article, especially the 'then and now' pictures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/jGD9WJrVXf/the-mangrove-nine-black-lives-matter

Thanks for that, that's a great article.  I've been doing a lot of walking round there lately, and found myself the other day by the spot where Kelso Cochrane was murdered the prior decade, triggering racial violence.  Reading into it, I had no idea that Enoch Powell and the BUF had such a stranglehold in the area in the late 50s.