The Pathless - stunning chill adventure game from the Abzu team

robdood

Perhaps I'm blind, but this didn't seem to have its own thread yet?  And it looks MARVELLOUS. 

Scored by the same excellent composer what did them Flow and Journey games.  

Here's a launch trailer:

Here's a great review by SkillUp which further cemented my need to experience this wonderful looking game!

I'm on this bandwagon just as soon as I'm done with Death Stranding.  

This looks great, and I love Abzu, but it's £31.99 on PC.

That's about £11.99 too much for me. I'll wait for it to fall in price.

It looks like a perfect Game Pass game too except that I imagine Apple secured some kind of exclusivity for Apple Arcade.

Put a couple of hours into this now, it's lovely! 

I really dig how it doesn't tell you anything, but just by looking around and playing you start figuring things out. 

Gives good mysterious adventure vibes, like a super-chill, level-based BotW x Journey thing. It's very simple in terms of puzzles and stuff, but just exploring is trance-inducing, and the first 'boss' thing was pretty exciting and great. 

Can't believe no games before now have done decent Naruto running. :D

Plus you have an eagle friend who you have to lovingly stroke better when he's hurt. It's totally adorbs. 

I've put half an hour or so into the iOS version, and I can't get the touch controls to click for me yet. Camera was too sensitive until I turned it to the lowest setting, and the dash continually activates when I don't want it to. Plus I haven't got the jump timing down yet: there's a noticeable delay between me tapping the screen and the character jumping which I don't have the timing down for.

Currently I'm finding it frustrating rather than absorbing, but I'll push through (or maybe link up a bluetooth controller and try with that) because the trailers I've seen look so good, and when I have managed to get into the flow of play, it's been glorious.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a bunch more of this, up to fourth 'zone' now.  It's flipping FAB.  It's got a weird Okami vibe to it, not that it's anything like it, really.  More that it's influences are clear, but at the same time quite obviously its own thing too.  

It's not really a challenging or difficult game, but it's a very pleasant experience, just bombing around, finding the items you need, taking in the scenery. 

Plus omg I worked out there's a quicker way to shoot the targets that is harder to execute and nnnnngggh its satisfying!

More people need to play this in time for the rllmuk GOTY awards, man!

• 4 weeks later...

This looks great and love all the other games mentioned but the trailer had bosses and that’s me out I think. Too gamey. The others were exploration. Almost (although not quiet) no fail games that you get immersed in. Running round dodging fire and hitting weak spots just seems so against what I want in this sort of thing, Maybe when I can get it really cheap.

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

This looks great and love all the other games mentioned but the trailer had bosses and that’s me out I think. Too gamey. The others were exploration. Almost (although not quiet) no fail games that you get immersed in. Running round dodging fire and hitting weak spots just seems so against what I want in this sort of thing, Maybe when I can get it really cheap.

Its quite a small part of the experience I'd say. More like the final 3 minutes of each area. 

• 4 months later...

What was the consensus on this? Noticed its currently in the Epic sale for £25.59 which when voucher applied is £15.59. Which brings it down to a Journey/Abzu sort of price. Enjoyed those... 

I'd rate it a solid 8 out of 10.  Personally I'd push it to a 9, because after a joint and in the dark and with headphones on its just lovely

So unashamedly a videogame.  And so chill.  😍

• 1 month later...

I’ve just finished the storyline and really enjoyed. Did one area each night and found it really relaxing.  It’s basically the Korok seeds puzzles and boss fights out of Breath of the Wild, it’s really beautiful and the soundtrack is also awesome. Highly recommended. 

I played on PS5 and you can pick it up for sub £20.

6 hours ago, catinthehat said:

I've been looking for something new for my PS5, to chill out with after work, and thinking this might be it.  Are the boss fights annoyingly hard?

No, because you basically can't die. :) The boss 'fights' are more of an uptempo / crescendo part of the soundtrack, if anything :D

It's the loveliest game.