Controllers - post your hot takes here!

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

The Xbox 360 pad was great, the Xbox One/Xbox Series pads are awful, worst analog sticks I've ever used, why are they noisy? who makes noisy analog sticks.

Never had this issue myself. I much prefer them to the PS4 sticks. Then again that pad is a steaming pile of shite. 

The original Xbox One controllers had incredibly clacky buttons and a shiny shell, they were ridiculously noisy and felt really cheap and nasty. Once they revamped them (the second iteration with Bluetooth support) they were perfectly fine pads. I still wish the buttons were a little more low-profile though in line with the PS4 pad.

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

The Xbox 360 pad was great, the Xbox One/Xbox Series pads are awful, worst analog sticks I've ever used, why are they noisy? who makes noisy analog sticks.

Blimey. Just when I think you can’t come up with anything else contrary. 

It’s like you bought one just so you could be justified in slagging it off. :lol:

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Noisy? Really how? :D What are you doing to the pads? Never had any issues myself. The pad is why the XBox is always my go to console of choice. Even use them on the PC. Never liked the layout of PS controllers I prefer offset analogue sticks just sit much better under the natural resting place of my thumbs - always feel like I'm contorting my thumbs a bit on the PS pad. PS4 pad was much better though.... always struggled a bit with the PS2/3 controllers. Not that they are bad pads just not that my favourite or most comfortable.

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Dunno why Sony and MS haven’t just used the same battery tech as Nintendos Pro controllers. They last for absolutely ages. And they’re the most comfortable to use too. 

They're fantastic. I use Nintendo Pro controller on Steam. Prefer it over the Xbox one. 

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I prefer offset analogue sticks just sit much better under the natural resting place of my thumbs

Why do people say this, hands and thumbs aren’t offset? :P

I don’t really have an issue with any pad, I switch between PS, 360, Switch, WaveBird, SNES etc. without even thinking. Actually when I pick up the WaveBird I usually let out a little purr of satisfaction :D.

8 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Why do people say this, hands and thumbs aren’t offset? :P

I don’t really have an issue with any pad, I switch between PS, 360, Switch, WaveBird, SNES etc. without even thinking. Actually when I pick up the WaveBird I usually let out a little purr of satisfaction :D.

Don't know. When I played on the PS2/3 and to a degree the PS4 pad I always got a pain in my left thumb joint after and hour so of playing - think it was particularly bad with games I had to click down on the sticks a lot. Never get the issues with the layout of the sticks on the Xbox pads (or any pads that use the offset layout). Anything that lets me game a little longer and be comfortable works for me!

Never understood why people prefer the Xbone pad over the DS4. Yes the left stick is in a better place but the d pad is clicky, the light is very distracting when you're playing in a room that isn't floodlit, and the A button on every bone pad I've used needs to be pressed really quite hard to be sure that it responds. The DS4 sits better in the hands, personally, is rechargeable, has better textured sticks and has a nice weight to it. Ever since the DS4 was released, the DS3 has felt very cheap, nasty and unergonomic  by comparison.

3 minutes ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

Never understood why people prefer the Xbone pad over the DS4. Yes the left stick is in a better place but the d pad is clicky, the light is very distracting when you're playing in a room that isn't floodlit, and the A button on every bone pad I've used needs to be pressed really quite hard to be sure that it responds. The DS4 sits better in the hands, personally, is rechargeable, has better textured sticks and has a nice weight to it. Ever since the DS4 was released, the DS3 has felt very cheap, nasty and unergonomic  by comparison.

You are going to be disappointed by the the PS5 pad. 

Supposedly the dpad is useless and the buttons are spongy as hell. 

The Wiimote/nunchuk combo might be my favourite controller. Feels so comfortable in the hands! 

i know the joycons try to replicate this but they are too small, and as there’s no wire between them you can’t pretend to be an assassin while you wait for your game to load. Sad times. 

6 minutes ago, Madness said:

The Wiimote/nunchuk combo might be my favourite controller. Feels so comfortable in the hands! 

i know the joycons try to replicate this but they are too small, and as there’s no wire between them you can’t pretend to be an assassin while you wait for your game to load. Sad times. 

Someone suggested buying the battery pack for the Joycon and it does make them a bit more comfortable for larger hands.

22 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It's almost as if this whole topic is a poor disguise for one very particular hot take.

It’s almost as if a mod should stop promoting Gooners hot takes to their own trolling threads, and just leave them to die where they are.

The Series controller has a really fantastic dpad, something that's always been really bad on previous xboxes. 

You really notice the changes to the Xbox controller beyond the most obvious changes when you go back to the last gen pad. The shape around the top of the handles is subtly different, more comfortable in the new one. Bumpers are different too.

The grippy texture on the new pad makes the old one feel really slippy in comparison, haha. 

18 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The original Xbox One controllers had incredibly clacky buttons and a shiny shell, they were ridiculously noisy and felt really cheap and nasty. Once they revamped them (the second iteration with Bluetooth support) they were perfectly fine pads. I still wish the buttons were a little more low-profile though in line with the PS4 pad.

This is true. I seem to remember the original One pads (which I only had a go of on a demo pad before launch) having terribly-placed RB/LB buttons, which they later tweaked.

3 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I wouldn’t say the GameCube controller is the best controller, but sliding it into your hands feels so utterly wonderful. That, and the big buttons and garish colour scheme, helps make the GameCube such a magical console to play.

Resident Evil 4 has never felt right to me on any other controller. The analogue stick on that controller was amazing with the octagonal shape around it - made it almost like a hybrid of an analogue stick and a joystick. Why has nobody ever done that again? 

Xbox One controllers are the best. Sturdy, responsive, just the right size, good sticks and buttons, decent triggers, good battery life. 

PS4 controllers are crap. Feel flimsy, godawful battery life, sticks are rubbish (and cheap on the original models - rubber flaking off etc) 

Switch Joycons are shit. I hate them. The drift issue just makes them unusable as well as shit. It’s a double whammy of shitness. 

Switch Pro controller is great, second only to Xbox one. Battery for days, feels great to hold, responsive, sturdy, simplistic but great. 

Stadia is meh. Only had it a few days but it reminds me of those knock off controllers you’d get from game by Mad Katz. Got it for free, probably won’t ever use it. 

Couple more for your viewing pleasure:

Gamecube controller looks like a Fisher Price toy but hot damn if it wasn’t amazing. Chunky, great buttons, felt great. 

N64 Controller - can’t believe anyone ever signed this off. Fucking awful, looking back on it. I mean, Jesus, how shit was that bunch of bananas. 

Xbox ‘the duke’ - I have massive hands. The duke is still stupidly big. 

SNES - tiny, plasticky, bit crap really, but has very special place in my heart as it was my first. 

The nicest controllers I’ve used are the Xbone Forza one that came with the Forza edition console, and the recent Cyberpunk one. Nice rubbery bits on the back, very comfortable.

The one that comes with the series S initially felt quite cheap and I’m not a fan of the scratchy plastic they used on the D-pad.

My hot take is that the JoyCon "dpad" is actually perfect for 2D platformers. Celeste and Hollow Knight in particular were excellent in Switch's handheld mode thanks to it. Less great for fighting games but I still prefer it to the PS4's stiff dpad.

I also wish more shooters made use of gyro aiming; I am terrible at using the right stick to aim and struggle to enjoy games which make heavy use of it.

PS4 - lovely buttons, great button feel, less good shoulders, sticks lack grip for me but are quiet.  Dpad smooth and lovely.

XBox one - horrid rounded buttons, even more horrid clicky d pad, noisy but grippy sticks and lovely smooth triggers.  Why are the bupers clicky and nasty then?

Wii U pro - just delightful even with the odd stick placement but shoulder bumper things are still a bit too clicky for me.

360 - great at the time and still weirdly sought after as I sold two for a good price a while back but these days don't quite feel as good as the newer ones.

Gamecube - so colourful and so nice to use, the octagonal stick edge, the clicky shoulder buttons that clicked in when you hit the end.  Never selling these despite not having a gamecube and only a couple of games left that I plug the Wii in for every now and again.

N64 - seemed so revolutionary but playing with it now that stick which is probably completely loose is just nasty!

Playstation - a SNES pad with arms and extra shoulder buttons.  Small, fell in the hands, felt great a real classic.

SNES - moving from a megadrive it was fantastic, a refined feeling dpad compared with the big round megadrive one, better layout of buttons and shoulder buttons!

Megadrive - I remember playing my mates import megadrive on release and the pad felt like it was from the future.  It felt great and with hindsight was pretty gross really.

I am sure I have played with far more than these lot but the winner of all time favourite has to be the gamecube controller.  It felt so right.