PlayStation 5 stock alerts

Pob

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Is this normal for a console launch? This is the first one where I've actually taken notice - when the PS4 and XB1 came out I was still happy enough with my 360 and didn't get my PS4 until 2 or 3 years after it launched. I can't remember there being stock shortages when they, or the Switch, first came out, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I'd have thought both Sony and MS would have made more for this initial launch period, especially pre-Christmas. I've not been keeping up with it at all, but no doubt the pandemic has affected everything, I suppose.

It's pretty normal. Microsoft reckon they won't be able to fulfil demand till April, so god knows how long Sony think they'll take. Nintendo have spent large parts of the year unable to manufacture and ship enough Switch consoles.

The Wii was out of stock for months and months - probably the first console I remember that for; the PS2 was hard to get without a giant bundle of shite; the PS4 was golddust that Xmas.

Consoles that were easy to get relatively quickly... the Xbox One.

It was easy to get the PS3 at launch in the UK. I still remember an embarrassing interview where a Sony exec (Phil Harrison?) was claiming there were none on store shelves while the interviewer was telling him that was completely false. And of course the Wii U was pathetically easy.

Most other consoles do seem hard to get hold of at launch but in terms of actually getting a preorder in I think these two new consoles have been the most crazy I've ever seen. Usually the pre-ordering isn't that hard, it's the getting it at or just after launch without a preorder that's the tough bit. The Switch and PS4 were hard to get for a few months after launch but they weren't crashing websites and selling out in minutes months before launch.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Oh.

Is this normal for a console launch? This is the first one where I've actually taken notice - when the PS4 and XB1 came out I was still happy enough with my 360 and didn't get my PS4 until 2 or 3 years after it launched. I can't remember there being stock shortages when they, or the Switch, first came out, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I'd have thought both Sony and MS would have made more for this initial launch period, especially pre-Christmas. I've not been keeping up with it at all, but no doubt the pandemic has affected everything, I suppose.

It’s not uncommon. The Wii went for over RRP in the run up to Christmas when it launched. I remember the PS4 and Switch were tricky to get straight after launch, and Switch has been again this year. But nothing ever approaching this level of craziness. In the online queue at Currys there were over 150,000 people at one point. I think it’s going to take months to satisfy demand and bring second hand prices down to RRP. 

56 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It’s not uncommon. The Wii went for over RRP in the run up to Christmas when it launched. I remember the PS4 and Switch were tricky to get straight after launch, and Switch has been again this year. But nothing ever approaching this level of craziness. In the online queue at Currys there were over 150,000 people at one point. I think it’s going to take months to satisfy demand and bring second hand prices down to RRP. 

Well, that's a kick in the balls. There I was, thinking I'd get one in before Christmas. Apparently not. Ah well. I've set up a few stock alerts anyway but I'm not hopeful.

There is stock of the PS5. All on eBay and Facebook marketplace and all at £800+ a pop. Its not that they are hard to get hold off just at RRP because lots of people have ordered one to make some quick money. Unfortunately as time goes on this only gets worse. With all high in demand consumer electronics. Its a PITA and really manufacturers and suppliers need to get a grip on this and sort it out. Guess they actually get some kind of marketing buzz from it though knowing their product is so in demand that people are prepared to pay nearly double to get one. 

Still if people won't pay the prices then the scalpers wouldn't do it. Simple. In the end its first world problems isn't it? Frustrating as everything is. Have an Auntie in a hospice with cancer at the moment who is fighting to make it and spend time to see her family at Christmas before she passes. Nothing to do with consoles, prices etc but kind of brought things into perspective a bit for me the other day. :( 

Products being in demand before Christmas is nothing new for any of these retailers. I simply don't understand why you can't pay a (refundable) deposit against something like a PS5 or Series X and go on a waiting list. If I'm number 253,607 on the Argos waiting list then it's a balls to know I'll be waiting a long time but at least I'll have some idea when I might get one. Leaving it a free for all just helps scalpers.

9 minutes ago, bear said:

Products being in demand before Christmas is nothing new for any of these retailers. I simply don't understand why you can't pay a (refundable) deposit against something like a PS5 or Series X and go on a waiting list. If I'm number 253,607 on the Argos waiting list then it's a balls to know I'll be waiting a long time but at least I'll have some idea when I might get one. Leaving it a free for all just helps scalpers.

Wow 253,000th.... 

Its a problem in general with the "it" toy every Christmas... everyone remembers "that" toy that was hard to get. However back in days gone there was no web for people to make money from and easy available credit to bung them on a credit card. So all this has compounded the problem as its no longer just a supply issue. 

Yes they really need to take deposits and perhaps offer them out to existing gamers to put a pre-order in first via PSN/XBL. However guessing most gamers really wanting a new console would have had a pre-order in early as possible.

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yes they really need to take deposits and perhaps offer them out to existing gamers to put a pre-order in first via PSN/XBL. However guessing most gamers really wanting a new console would have had a pre-order in early as possible.

I got my pre-order in on the day they were launched but even then it was a struggle lots of online shops just died trying to either add the console to the basket or during checkout. Got lucky with Amazon but my Smyths order got cancelled.

There needs to be some system to stop scalpers grabbing these consoles.

I think there's no incentive for Sony or Microsoft to stop scalping. They sell all their stock either way and the headlines create more publicity about how incredible their new machines are.  People are paying £800 for them on eBay? Wow they must be amazing.  Right now there will be loads of people who never intended buying at launch, seeing all these stories and then snapping up a console first chance they get. It's not like scalping harms sales, the consoles still sell out on day one.  But 150,000 people all queuing on Currys website, Argos crashing, Amazon parcels turning up with a George Forman Grill inside, it all serves to keep the console in the news, and makes the population aware that the product launched, is in massive demand and is surely the Xmas present of the year. 

If a TV advert is designed to make you think a product is good and you should buy one, surely the situation above achieves this message x 100?  There's just no reason for Sony and Microsoft to put am end to scalping, they need the hardware to shift as soon as possible. 

The reality is pretty grim

https://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-5-launch-day-us-europe-flooded-by-reseller-bots-2020-11?r=US&IR=T

To be honest, as the days go by, my FOMO for PS5 is dissipating somewhat. The above reports and  launch day online horror, the reports of noisy consoles and the fact that, shock horror, I'm still having lots of fun with my Series X means I'm actually feeling a little ashamed of myself that I think I need one so much.

Maybe Sony and Microsoft should do what all the ticket sites do and use the bots to buy their own stock and sell them on for major profit. Maybe they already are. 

Edited to add: I am annoyed as I really want a PS5 but clearly won’t be able to get one for months. I’m sure someone else suggested it earlier but maybe the stores (like Smyth’s or Curry’s) could go low-tech and have a list of people who’ve phoned in and give them out in order. Although they’re still selling out so probably don’t care either. 

Edited by Gigawatt

41 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

The reality is pretty grim

https://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-5-launch-day-us-europe-flooded-by-reseller-bots-2020-11?r=US&IR=T

To be honest, as the days go by, my FOMO for PS5 is dissipating somewhat. The above reports and  launch day online horror, the reports of noisy consoles and the fact that, shock horror, I'm still having lots of fun with my Series X means I'm actually feeling a little ashamed of myself that I think I need one so much.

Sigh. I know its supply and demand but how the hell are people supposed to buy things these days when there are organisations specifically going out there to buy up stock 24/7 of everything that people might want to turn in a profit. This is the bad side of the web TBH. I love being around to play with new tech that is coming out but in the end will this behaviour just drive the prices of future tech gadgets up? I mean if scalpers can make a nice profit - manufacturers themselves may as well cash in too as in the case of games consoles they usually make a loss on each one sold. Suppose its indicative of the world we live in these days. The web spreads and creates the demand and hype which propagates out at incredible speeds so everybody wants something at launch. That and gaming has become much more popular than ever before. Madness the lot of it! :) Don't think it will get any better going forward. 

Think I'm changing my attitude to this in future. Reading about the tech but not so much wanting it and enjoying what I do have more and not worrying about what I don't have. The new stuff and experiences will still be new to me years down the line when I get to try / own it. It will also be cheaper and more reliable too. Well we can always hope.

38 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Microsoft and Sony are most likely making a loss on hardware. I think they'd rather that the consoles were in the hands of people who actually intend to use them as quickly as possible so they can start recouping their losses.

To be fair, anyone paying £800 for a console is probably going to buy a lot more shit for it.  Possibly more than the average normal day 1 purchaser, especially those that immediately stick it under a tree for a month.

50 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I think there's no incentive for Sony or Microsoft to stop scalping. They sell all their stock either way and the headlines create more publicity about how incredible their new machines are.  People are paying £800 for them on eBay? Wow they must be amazing.  Right now there will be loads of people who never intended buying at launch, seeing all these stories and then snapping up a console first chance they get. It's not like scalping harms sales, the consoles still sell out on day one.  But 150,000 people all queuing on Currys website, Argos crashing, Amazon parcels turning up with a George Forman Grill inside, it all serves to keep the console in the news, and makes the population aware that the product launched, is in massive demand and is surely the Xmas present of the year. 

If a TV advert is designed to make you think a product is good and you should buy one, surely the situation above achieves this message x 100?  There's just no reason for Sony and Microsoft to put am end to scalping, they need the hardware to shift as soon as possible. 

Absolutely. The hype machine. :) Powered by the web. 

Stewart Lee talks of ticket touts in his routines and jokes that it's great to take the money and see the empty seats because he is famous enough to attract the touts  but not famous enough for his tickets to sell at inflated prices.  His ideal scenario is to have touts buy all the tickets then he makes the money and doesn't need to turn up and do the work.

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Microsoft and Sony are most likely making a loss on hardware. I think they'd rather that the consoles were in the hands of people who actually intend to use them as quickly as possible so they can start recouping their losses.

Yes, but of course the consoles will be in the hands on an end user a couple of days after the auctions end. Those customers will be buying their accessories and games in anticipation.  There's just no real incentive for suppliers to put methods in place to stop scalping because it gives them all the headlines they need. They can do a press release that PS5 is the fastest selling console ever with all stock depleted within minutes of launch etc etc.

I remember back when PS1 was the in demand product and the first Xmas after launch it was hard to get one. Game imported a load of them which came with Scart cables. I had to stand in the middle of my store and make an announcement.  "Ladies and Gentlemen , if you are after a PlayStation this Xmas, we have 36 coming at some point today, please come to the counter".  We gave a numbered ticket to everyone and asked them to stay in store or outside until the stock arrived.  As one of the lads in the back of the store was checking in the delivery, we were selling them in number order out front. There must have been 10 people who were hanging around for a console but the buzz around the simple fact that we had the consoles in stock meant that others joined the queue and all the consoles were gone same day.  The buzz of those people who just happened to have been in the shop when a chance appeared for them to buy one was enough to convince people to buy it  right there and then. No deals  , no bundles. Just "we have them" was enough.

Similarly we got a massive delivery for the N64 release.  There was POS material, posters etc, all saying "coming soon!", "Available now", limited stock, "more stock next week" all telling the story of how we were going to launch, sell out  get more, sell out.  But then as soon as the hype ended and stock was freely available it all fell over and the console dropped in price by 100 quid only 2 months later.

I was running the games dept of an HMV store at exactly the same time as that. Everything always sold out in seconds. The OG PS1 was as in-demand then as the PS5 is now, it was just all done regionally and in the confines of the town you lived in because the internet didn't really exist. We'd have 50 turn up out of the blue (hardware was centrally ordered) and they'd be gone by the end of the day. It was the same with everything though, Fifa 96, Tomb Raider, Resi Evil, even the Official PS magazine was gone in a day.

I remember that N64 price reduction too, had a great time letting those who had bought one at launch although I seem to remember Nintendo offering refunds or vouchers or something.

26 minutes ago, Gorf said:

That’s right, I remember the price dropped from I think £400 to £300?

From memory I got an extra controller, dead or alive and that oddworld game, Munch’s odyssey

Edit: It dropped from £300 to £199 soon after release

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1936791.stm

Bloody hell that takes me back wow I got the free games I remember 

2 hours ago, Gorf said:

That’s right, I remember the price dropped from I think £400 to £300?

From memory I got an extra controller, dead or alive and that oddworld game, Munch’s odyssey

Edit: It dropped from £300 to £199 soon after release

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1936791.stm

There was also a second price drop quickly after this and that came with Sega GT and JSRF on a disc. Microsoft had to drop the price quickly but did it too many times too quickly.

I remember ditching a crappy job interview and buying an Xbox with Halo after that price drop. The Job Centre never found out or they would have stopped my dole.

Being on the dole and stuck in my parents house with bugger all to do but I had more money to spend on games and shit than I’ve had since. 

7 hours ago, Ketchup said:

There was also a second price drop quickly after this and that came with Sega GT and JSRF on a disc. Microsoft had to drop the price quickly but did it too many times too quickly.

That's when I finally caved and got that bundle, plus Halo and Project Gotham Racing. :wub: