Wot no AstroBot thread?

You can't use every wall glitch, so it's a matter of everyone working out what's optimal. Glitches are inherent in so many speedrun-friendly games, and my view on patching usually comes down to whether or not their best players achieve consistency. It's no good if it's a 1-in-10 lottery even for them. But I think the glitches in this are highly repeatable, I'm just not determined enough!

Keeping it old-school here, I messed up my boxjump approach trying to land riiight on the edge to sneak past it, losing a couple of tenths (don't think it's possible). What's both interesting and a bit disappointing is that the first umbrella doesn't save any time, and it feels like you're gaining a small forward boost when you land on their purples, but you aren't.

It's really hard to gauge what's slightly faster and slower without others' videos; you just can't feel those tenths. I'd love to be able to download everyone else's top runs and play them PiP in-game with mine. There was so much arcane knowledge back in WipEout HD, where I only knew that I was probably taking the fastest route around my best tracks if I lapped within a second of their records. Makes a nice change that people are sharing glitches for this.

9 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Look at this clown.

It had never even dawned on me to use punch to lengthen the time I could spend in the air. That'll make a huge difference alone even without all the wall jumping craziness. 

7 hours ago, Escape said:

You can't use every wall glitch, so it's a matter of everyone working out what's optimal. Glitches are inherent in so many speedrun-friendly games, and my view on patching usually comes down to whether or not their best players achieve consistency. It's no good if it's a 1-in-10 lottery even for them. But I think the glitches in this are highly repeatable, I'm just not determined enough!

Keeping it old-school here, I messed up my boxjump approach trying to land riiight on the edge to sneak past it, losing a couple of tenths (don't think it's possible). What's both interesting and a bit disappointing is that the first umbrella doesn't save any time, and it feels like you're gaining a small forward boost when you land on their purples, but you aren't.

It's really hard to gauge what's slightly faster and slower without others' videos; you just can't feel those tenths. I'd love to be able to download everyone else's top runs and play them PiP in-game with mine. There was so much arcane knowledge back in WipEout HD, where I only knew that I was probably taking the fastest route around my best tracks if I lapped within a second of their records. Makes a nice change that people are sharing glitches for this.

Oh no I thought I was done playing this.

What's that? A controversial game opinion from Thor? :P

In fairness, I don't think anyone LOVES it for being an all-time great game in and of itself. I think it appeals as a demo of the system (which it's clearly supposed to be and is very successful at being) and as a fun stroll down a celebration of PlayStation. Which isn't something I thought I'd type, but it's nonetheless successful.

I didn't notice until the second time through if you punch the Astrobot Playstation mascots a lot of them have extra unique animations. Giving Joelbot a slap and watching the brick bounce of his head :wub:

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

So I take it I'm the only one who, SSD Speedway aside, wasn't all that fussed with this? 

Yep

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I didn't notice until the second time through if you punch the Astrobot Playstation mascots a lot of them have extra unique animations. Giving Joelbot a slap and watching the brick bounce of his head :wub:

All of those years of punching every NPC I encounter in every video game are finally rewarded

I haven't done the memory or GPU levels yet, purely because I don't want it to end.

My son is a bit too young for gaming, but has an absolute blast with this, this morning. Mucking around with the gattling gun, swimming in cooling springs, and then doing the slide at the beginning of the level about 20 times. He's even learnt how to restart the level himself. :lol: Marvellous little game.

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, df0 said:

God damn it @ThorAstro's Play Room is delightful.

I prefer the VR game by quite a margin. Play Room is good, but I wasn't all that enamoured with it.

How absolutely delightful! I look forward to polluting my husband’s ears with this all day every day in the wfh office while I work. 

Showed this (and Sackboy Adventures) to my daughter who popped over at the weekend; she took the controller and was very very impressed. 

She said it the perfect relaxing game to play after studying at uni ^_^