Playstation 5 hardware impressions

I seem to have the issue where the controller won't charge when plugged into the front USB port in rest mode. Twice now I've left it to charge in rest mode, option definitely turned on in the settings menu, and I come back hours later to find it still only has one bar. 

Sony's 'solution' at the moment appears to be to use the USB port on the back of the console. It charges fine when the console is turned on so it can't be a port issue, would assume it's something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

18 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

What’s this annoying buzzing people are talking about? Can you avoid it, or is it always there?

Coil whine, if a device is susceptible to it then usually they will all do it to varying levels of annoyance - some people don’t hear it or other noises drown it out but it’s a nightmare on an otherwise quiet device.

It can be avoidable or mitigated against at manufacturing stage and you could retro resolve it but warranty etc - Sony haven’t put anything in the psu to prevent it from initial tear downs so as such all PS5’s will have it but some you won’t hear and others will drive you insane!

15 minutes ago, Majora said:

I seem to have the issue where the controller won't charge when plugged into the front USB port in rest mode. Twice now I've left it to charge in rest mode, option definitely turned on in the settings menu, and I come back hours later to find it still only has one bar. 

Sony's 'solution' at the moment appears to be to use the USB port on the back of the console. It charges fine when the console is turned on so it can't be a port issue, would assume it's something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

I've plug the charging cable into a usb socket behind my Tv. Seems to be fine so far and charges while the Mrs watches crap tele so I don't have to risk rest mode

Yay, had my first hard lock. Went to play CoD. Got to the start screen, then a system pop up appeared that it was downloading an update. Then the screen froze for a while with the music still playing, then it went to black screen making garbled sounds. Controller completely unresponsive and holding down the power button to reboot for ages did zilch. So eventually I had to unplug it from the wall just to power it down.

Far from an isolated case looking at Google.

The resistance triggers are incredible. I think the tech is amazing. Also I think I might hate them as playing CoD and Dirt, it just feels like hard work a bit. Brilliant on Astro though so can’t wait to see how it goes over the years. 

I wonder if they could/might/should have gone with resistance analogue sticks. 

27 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Hmmm, watched a few coil-whine videos and unless the camera’s shoved up the PS5’s ass seems hard to hear.

Also it’s something that can get better over time apparently. No need to panic just yet.

Betting we’ll see a minor hardware revision before 2022.

It varies by console and people's sensitivity to the noise.  It's a real issue for those who can hear it over a game.

Many Ps4 Pros had it and it never got better.

31 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Hmmm, watched a few coil-whine videos and unless the camera’s shoved up the PS5’s ass seems hard to hear.

Also it’s something that can get better over time apparently. No need to panic just yet.

Betting we’ll see a minor hardware revision before 2022.

Coil whine is a frequency thing. If you’re sensitive to it, then reasonable distance doesn’t matter.

Only managed to play it briefly (and set downloads going) because the SO wanted to finish Obra Dinn on the switch (60 fates done!). And it’s been such a wonderful co-op lockdown beater that I couldn’t say no.

But fingers crossed I’ve no whine or anything. 

So far, crazy impressed - the controllers are just as good as the hype. Im used to Sony stealing Nintendo’s ideas and implementing them badly (bad waggle, then bad gyro). But this is everything Nintendo’s rumble was meant to be. And I love the triggers. Made me buy cod, just to fire pretend guns with them.

The Xbox controller seems so backwards without it. I’ld bet money they are currently pivoting their elite controller line to add this tech in. 

10 hours ago, Ry said:

Is there some kind of dongle available where I can use an Xbox controller on my PS5? 

It's the least comfortable Sony controller I have ever used. 

Brook have added PS5 support via firmware according to their site, but I'd check with 'em first. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcbazel-Adapter-Controller-Switch-Keychain/dp/B07W7WP6YJ

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/53818657/

They also make one for the Elite 2. https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/43268489/

9 hours ago, Majora said:

If USB charging's enabled, have you also set 3 hours (or always) for charging in rest mode? Those are my settings (with 3 hours until entering rest mode).

10 hours ago, Majora said:

Are you plugging the controller in before engaging rest mode?  Mine works fine so long as it was plugged in before closing down, but doesn't work if you plug in the controller when the machine is already resting.  This is the same as it was with my PS4 & Pro.

1 hour ago, Ivanho said:

Those of you having fan issues, could it be this?

https://screenrant.com/loud-ps5-fan-noise-coil-whine-sticker/

Edit:  And for the curious, a warning

https://screenrant.com/ps4-ps5-games-disc-drive-play-work-warning/

It doesn't sound anything near as bad as that, but it could be it rubbing up against something. I'll see if I have the right drivers for it.

12 hours ago, Harsin said:

Yay, had my first hard lock. Went to play CoD. Got to the start screen, then a system pop up appeared that it was downloading an update. Then the screen froze for a while with the music still playing, then it went to black screen making garbled sounds. Controller completely unresponsive and holding down the power button to reboot for ages did zilch. So eventually I had to unplug it from the wall just to power it down.

Far from an isolated case looking at Google.

I had this happen and the only way i could resolve it was to re-download cod cold war, and i'm not even 100% sure if it resolved it because i havent checked it since

The ps5 controller is great. Now it’s probably a little over sold, the rumble and haptics are great but I think it’s like comparing playing a game before the N64 rumble pack and then playing Star Fox 64 with the rumble pack. It’s a new and positive experience and in Astrobot is absolutely perfect.

But it’s a little more subtle than you may think. The triggers work great but seem to work best with more deliberate use than pushing them in as if they are a button. But yeah really great.

The set up process for the ps5 was great too from asking if you want to install a game whilst setting up to already downloading the updates whilst also doing setup. The ps4 transfer was easy enough (and fairly quick for just a few games). In fact all the PlayStation menus are nice and simple and much more friendlier than even the PS4. Pretty happy at the mo but like the series x a lack of new games in the coming weeks will be the only downer.