Prey (was: Predator 5)

JohnC

20 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The thing that made Predator great wasn’t the alien or all it’s gadgets & backstory, it was all the time spent with Arnold & his ultimate crew. I doubt whatever jabronis they have in this latest attempt won’t have physiques anything like the line-up in Predator.

You didn't watch the trailer did you? 😋

On 16/05/2022 at 15:54, JohnC said:

No doubt, being Native American, they're all expert trackers, deadly expert with primitive weapons and all that kind of thing. In Hollywood anyway.

Theres gonna be a scene where they fire and arrow and it flies right into the plasma cannon barrel and the cannon blows up

But what if the real prey is the friends we made along the way?

Assume this will be Disney+ in the UK? It only has to jump the low bar that is AVP2 to avoid being the worst Predator film, so it’s got that going for it, which is nice.

On 21/11/2020 at 09:13, Don Wiskerando said:

I wish I hadn't seen The Predator.

I have a really low bar for liking films, but even I struggle to find anything redeeming in The Predator. About the only thing I'd say it's worth watching for are the fight scenes with the ultimate predator with the fbi agents so you can point to it and say "If they ever make a Warhammer 40k film, that's how the Space Marines should move and fight".

Trailer and concept is interesting. Dumb yes, but dumb ideas are not barriers to a great film if it's done right. It's only if you get really anal by saying things like "it's supposed to be a hunt, where's the sport if they're using lasers against arrows?" or "Wait, so Yautja techniology hasn't advanced noticeably in 500 years?", but i refuse to get into neck beardy arguments like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Film's own Ben Pearson recently spoke with director Dan Trachtenberg and producer Jhane Myers about "Prey," and specifically about the usage of the Comanche language. Myers is Comanche and gave some incredible insight into how the film will be made accessible to audiences around the world. "That's really important to me being Comanche and working with our Comanche language department, also with working with Comanche language speakers," said Myers. "But just the fact that people will have a choice, the world will have a choice to listen to the whole film in Comanche is amazing." 

You read that right. Audiences will have the opportunity to watch "Prey" in Comanche, and hear the characters speak as they would have 300 years ago.

https://www.slashfilm.com/886791/prey-will-give-viewers-the-option-to-watch-the-film-in-the-comanche-language/

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

I was slightly disappointed to see colonists in it. I was hoping it would be before Europeans arrived. 

That's so they can do the inevitable 'twist' where the tribe and the predator team up to hunt the more dangerous foe...

This looks really good. Am I right that this coming straight to Disney+ (which is amazing if true) or have I picked things up wrong?

Also, reading that they shot the entire movie in English AND Comanche is such a brilliant and clearly important aspect so I will absolutely be watching this in the Comanche language on first viewing.

One of the things that made the original such an incredible movie was how it slowly introduced the Predator visually, so my main hope for this is that it has some clever ways of shooting the iconic Alien rather than the absolute fucking nonsense we have seen in recent years!

8 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

This looks really good. Am I right that this coming straight to Disney+ (which is amazing if true) or have I picked things up wrong?

Yes, Disney+ on 5 August.

2 hours ago, Ry said:

I mean...it looks decent.

But I have fell into this trap before. 

Predators would’ve been decent (or, at the very least, less shit) if not for its long train of slavish homages to the original film. I just hope Prey avoids that tiresome misstep. 

I was wondering if the twist might be that the pred is a bit shit and the tribe end up hunting it.

Then, I dunno, they team up when the colonists arrive.

Not sure if that would be good or not, but it's possible. Although it's not the first time they have had these spin-off films involve uneasy alliances so maybe its not as fresh as it could be.

Predator wipes out Colonists to demonstrate to us how powerful it is and establish that only the main characters skills and approach are going to be effective against it :)

I think its hard to deviate too much from the original movies formula without making things a bit shit, so they just need to keep it simple. If anything happens to the dog we see in the trailer though I’m just switching it off!

3 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Predator wipes out Colonists to demonstrate to us how powerful it is and establish that only the main characters skills and approach are going to be effective against it :)

I think its hard to deviate too much from the original movies formula without making things a bit shit, so they just need to keep it simple. If anything happens to the dog we see in the trailer though I’m just switching it off!

Agree about the dog. I still can't watch I Am Legend again... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2022 at 21:36, gizmo1990 said:

I found the spoken English/US accents quite jarring so I'd be far more interested in watching with the original language and subtitles.

Same. If the team behind Alpha can use determined stone age languages, hollywood can use a language still spoke today.

On 09/06/2022 at 11:25, MardiganX said:

Also, reading that they shot the entire movie in English AND Comanche is such a brilliant and clearly important aspect so I will absolutely be watching this in the Comanche language on first viewing.

It'll be interesting to see which version's acting is better... or comes across as better. I'll watch whichever version is deemed best. I still have the horrific memory of Squid Game's VIPs, and wondering whether the rest of the acting was actually that bad too, only we couldn't understand it and it just sounded cool in Korean!

• 1 month later...

Reviews are dropping. It's good. Very good. 100% on RT after 42 reviews. 

https://collider.com/prey-movie-review-predator-amber-midthunder-dan-trachtenberg/

"The only real downside to Prey is the streaming format through which it'll be released, with the 20th Century movie being shuttled over to drop on Hulu later this week. It's no hyperbole to say that this is a film that demands to be seen on as big a screen as possible, if only in order to thoroughly appreciate one of the best action movies of the year thus far"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffewing/2022/08/03/review-prey-is-a-star-making-outing-and-the-best-predator-film-since-the-original/?sh=3904af3c2fa8

"Prey just works. Cinematic scale, strong performances, beautiful attention to detail, top-notch action sequences... it's a solid outing that deserves the largest screen possible. The biggest issue, then, is that it's going straight to streaming... accessibility is great, but this is not the kind of film that never hits the big screen. Beyond that, however, it's a high bar in the long-beloved franchise, one the finally gets the series' infinite potential and makes some new stars. Seriously, check it out."

Empire - 4/5

Independent - 4/5

IGN - 8/10

Friend of mine saw this at a comic festival he went on a work jolly to a week or two  ago and is raving about it. His only disappointment is that it is going straight to streaming as he said it was outstanding on the big screen. It had passed under my radar since then as, for me, there has only even been one Predator film so I ignored news of yet another spin off...

EDIT: That review quoted above is much the same as my mate said - really worked on the big screen.

1 minute ago, IcEBuRN said:

Looks it's getting 1 star bombed a bit on IMDB. Is this because the lead is female?

Trying to follow the logic of review bombers is a bit like following the logic of pro-brexiteers. Kinda. Maybe.